Pictures from our latest camping adventure...

Posted by: aloha

Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 04:15 AM

We just got back from our latest camping adventure. It was our largest group so far with about 50 people coming in and out over the course of our stay there.

Our family was the first there so we were able to get our usual preferred spot. It was blazing hot and the flies were out in force during the day.

My baby girl with a bushcrafty snack while dad set up the tent.

The kids sure love Auntie Keiko's guitar (and her singing). Almost as much as they like their chocolately treats.

It was my wife's best friend's birthday. So I made a chocolate chip birthday bannock for her with dark chocolate frosting. The trick is to blow out and take out the candles fast before the hot bannock melts them.

Did I mention it was freakin' hot? Well the kids were smart enough to make an improvised shelter.

I did title this with the word adventure.

We had fishing, hiking and wild animal encounters. Everyone survived. I wish we had more pictures. I will post some more when I get them. And no ex-special forces guy came around this time.

Late the first night, between 11 and midnight, the security guard came into our camp and spoke with us since we were up late. He asked if we were having any trouble with the wild pigs. We hadn't seen any, which was strange. We normally see them. Anyway, he said that campers have been having trouble with them, so to be careful, especially coming out of our tents at night.

I didn't think anything of it until the next night, when we had our little run ins. When we were putting our kids to sleep, I heard one of the dads making lots of noise shooing off a pig. After the kids were asleep, some of the adults were chatting around the campfire and one of the moms saw a pig near one of our tents. So the dads went to investigate with the moms following. There was a decent size pig of about 150-200 pounds. It looked feral and meaner and scarier looking than the other pigs I have seen there in the past.

We shoo'd it off, but it took a bit of effort as it really didn't want to go. After it walked away, we cleaned up around our campsite thinking that the food and trash we had in the area was attracting it. We usually do this after we get our kids to sleep anyway. As I am returning from taking the trash out, who do I run into but Mr. Pig. As I check on him on my way back, I find him following me and closing. So I start to walk backwards slowly. He keeps coming so I stop. He keeps coming to within 3-5 feet of me. I am thinking if he attacks me, I am dead! As we have our little face-off stare down, I come to realize that my Surefire G2 shining point blank into his eyes did not deter him from coming towards me, like I would have thought it would. It was obviously used to having lights shined at it.

Remember that the shouting and noise did little to chase it away earlier, I did a stupid thing. I stomped my foot and started at it while waving my arms. I know, STUPID! But I really didn't want it to follow me back into camp. Funny thing is the pig started, did a quick spin and ran off down the hill. It did that and covered about 30-40 yards in what seemed to me like a second. I was surprised and thankful. That pig was quick and would have done some damage to me if it attacked instead of ran off.

The pig & I had our face-off on this path. We were both on the bend. I was on the inner edge and it was on the outer edge. That's how close we were.

Later, the pig did return. But it didn't come into our camp. It ran past and went into our neighbors' camps instead.

I was saddened to discover later from the security guy that they were planning on trapping and killing some of the pigs there. I hope someone gets to eat them (pigs, not security guys), otherwise it would be a waste. They could have told us sooner and we could have had fresh bacon. wink They do not usually allow hunting there.

I also noticed that the duck population looked to be a small fraction of its former size. I wonder if they culled the duck population too. Or if pigs eat ducks. Anyone know? hmmm. I could have gone for some fresh duck too.

The fish population in the lake seemed as dense and robust as ever though. Probably due to their catch and release rules.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I will post more pictures when I get them.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 04:58 AM

Once again I am jealous. And since our hoped for cruise to your Island has been turned into something else, I will have to continue to be jealous...

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 05:30 AM

OBG, there is always next time. We are planning our next camping trip in July.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 01:08 PM

Thanks, but next time looks to be a llloooonnnnngggg way down the road. This time, instead of your islands, looks like we will be leaving Seattle and ending up in Miami, with lots of stops in between. Got 15 or so months to figure out how to pay for it. I haven't seen Panama since 10/30/69...
Posted by: Blast

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 01:13 PM

Nice! The improvised umbrella shelter was brilliant. As for the pigs, can you legally carry a whip with you? The loud "crack" may scare them off without even hitting them. That's my theory here in Texas anyway.

When you say hot, how hot do you mean? We are currently having 95F days with humidity 85-90% and a heat index over 100F.

-Blast, who may not have the cutest daughters in the world.
Posted by: thtimster

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 02:49 PM

Do they allow electric stock prods where you camp?
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 04:37 PM

It looks like great fun once again, aloha!

Would a Bear Mace or Pepper Spray work to send pigs running?
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 05:00 PM

Aloha,

I am so jealous that I'm going to burst! Beautiful scenery, good friends, sharing the outdoors with children. I don't know what more than a father can ask for.

However, those feral pigs can be a huge problem. They could easily - tear apart a pet or small child. Definitely should look some type of defense against them.

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 06:46 PM

Aloha Blast (with the cuties),

It wasn't as hot as your weather, I don't think. But it felt like it! I am not sure about the whip though. The pig encounter was at night after my kids got put to bed so I was only "armed" with my Surefire G2.

Loud noise when the other dad tried to chase him off didn't seem to work very well.

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
What a horrible ordeal Aloha! Sorry you had to suffer through another cruddy weekend in paradise. wink

I just wish every weekend would be as cruddy!

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 06:52 PM

I do not think there have been any pig attacks there and I am glad I wasn't the first. I weigh close to 200 and am pretty sure that pig could have taken me apart.

They say the pigs are being trapped and killed primarily because of the damage they are doing to the plants.

I am going to have to go back to check on the duck population.

Re: Pictures from our latest camping adventure... - 06/12/07 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTexas
Aloha,

I am so jealous that I'm going to burst! Beautiful scenery, good friends, sharing the outdoors with children. I don't know what more than a father can ask for.

However, those feral pigs can be a huge problem. They could easily - tear apart a pet or small child. Definitely should look some type of defense against them.

It was a great weekend!

I actually thought about giving it a good whack when it got that close to me, but I probably would have gotten it mad. Outwaiting it worked for me that time.

To me, the best defense would be to have a few dogs with us. But unfortunately, they do not allow dogs there.