Hot weather shirt

Posted by: bsmith

Hot weather shirt - 06/05/07 10:43 PM

for the hot weather hikers:

i've looked here in the forums and haven't found an answer. i see other manufacturers have various products.

i began wearing a railriders eco-mesh shirt last year. the long sleeve keeps the sun and brush off. i like the shirt - tough yet light.

any opinions on other brands for hot weather (80s / 90s) hiking?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Hot weather shirt - 06/06/07 02:39 PM

Being kinda old fashioned, and cheap to boot, I have always gotten by with a light colored 100% cotton T-shirt...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Hot weather shirt - 06/06/07 02:43 PM

This one would be my choice. Not too hot, built for hiking/backpacking, and considering the bug threat in the northeast, anything to keep them off me is a plus:

http://www.exofficio.com/product_details...22-ea059622d67f

Also, they have a button up blouse type that is quite suitable. For anything warmer than mid 90s, I would go to one of the underarmor versions made for warm climates. They worked great in Baghdad.
Posted by: Frozen

Re: Hot weather shirt - 06/06/07 06:15 PM

I buy one of these Patagonia yarn dyed A/C shirts every year, so I always have a few, and the price doesn't choke.

The coolest shirts I've ever worn.

Posted by: sodak

Re: Hot weather shirt - 06/08/07 01:31 AM

Short sleeve cotton tee or tank top shirts have always worked well for me.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/24/07 04:34 AM

I've got a REI Mojave Tech long-sleeve shirt (chalk color).
http://www.rei.com/product/746977
Very satisfied with the design, quality, and the 100% nylon material properties while hiking in hot weather!
Also it's drying very fast.

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/24/07 04:04 PM

i always wore shorts + t shirts, but now.... several small skin cancers have caused me to cover up.

it's cover up vs. sunblockers - and i like the convenience of covering up w/o the bother of applying the lotions.

thanks all for the input, you have given me a variety of choices. and am always willing to look at new ideas/products.

bsmith

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/24/07 06:28 PM

For short sleeves, I've gone to UnderArmor Tees for bare essentials, and either Guide Series or Columbia Sportswear synthetics. There are hazards associated with wearing synths around ignition sources, but for the most part, the UnderArmor stuff works pretty darned good under 40 lbs of body armor in 120 degree + environments.
Posted by: drahthaar

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/24/07 09:15 PM

I really like the Columbia bonehead fishing shirts. They are very lightweight cotton and have a mesh cape over the shoulders that allows ventilation. Plus they have a ton of pockets on the front. And they are available in 3xl and sometimes 4xl.

They are cotton, so I wouldn't recommend them for anything except hiking on hot, dry days - but for that purpose they are great.

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/25/07 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: drahthaar
I really like the Columbia bonehead fishing shirts. They are very lightweight cotton and have a mesh cape over the shoulders that allows ventilation. Plus they have a ton of pockets on the front. And they are available in 3xl and sometimes 4xl.

They are cotton, so I wouldn't recommend them for anything except hiking on hot, dry days - but for that purpose they are great.

3 and 4XL for the zaphtic survivalist, heh.

zaphtic?

did you mean zaphtig?

if so, bravo! great choice of words - had to look that one up !

Posted by: drahthaar

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/25/07 03:13 AM

I think the word you boys are looking for is zaftig.

Better a fat survivalist than a stupid one.
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/25/07 09:42 AM

I don't know how large you are, but REI has their Sahara shirt in 3xl and 4xl in blue on sale for about $17. It's about time we big guys get a break.

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/25/07 12:51 PM

yep, zaftig it is !

i misspelled it when i replied...

i had never come across that word before - avid reader - and always enjoy a great new word or play on words or old words used in new ways and blah, blah, blah.....

i like loose fitting clothing, but 3xl / 4xl are a little large even for me. sorry i can't take advantage - it looks like a great shirt and offer.. but, santa's coming..

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/27/07 11:17 AM

Hi bsmith

Have you considered wearing a sherpa string vest under your shirt. A recently released report (has been kept secret for over 50 years by the British Government) has shown that the sherpa string vest was best at keeping cool in hot dry conditions

The Sherpa vest is the one in middle

For the full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4638977.stm

Wear this in addition to a Kilt, Shemagh, thick wooly socks and sandals and your ready to hike in the hottest weather cool

Re: Hot weather shirt - 08/27/07 02:22 PM

while i very much appreciate and always follow up with research the suggestions of others, i found your reference failed to report what another reference had to say about the same experiment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,1518831,00.html

to quote the guardian:

"However, at the end of the experiment only two of the men not used to wearing a vest agreed to continue with the Sherpa. The rest preferred to do without and were heard to comment, "er ... I don't think I'd like to wear one regularly."

The report concluded that "seemingly, all vests were to be regarded with suspicion".

However, it argued that with more experience of wearing a vest under hot/dry conditions and "efficient indoctrination" it was confident more men could be won over."

q: only two? of the original 24.

q: regarded with suspicion !

q: "efficient indoctrination" ? it's been over 50 years and still not the fashion rage, is it then?

LOL! you cousins have a great sense of the understated.

bsmith