Favorite line

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Favorite line - 05/26/07 06:14 PM

....he felt the prompting of his heritage, the desire to possess, the wild danger-love, the thrill of battle, the power to conquer or to die.
Jack London

This is one of the best lines I've ever read.

I'd like to read all of your favorite quotes/lines, go ahead & post them!
Posted by: JIM

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 08:31 PM

It can always get worse.
Everything depends on the situation.
When in doubt, take cover
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 08:41 PM

Whoa, just couldn't resist... How about a movie quote:

"You're a big man, but you're out of shape. With me it’s a full time job, now behave yourself."
Michael Caine, Get Carter

Or this (a little less serious but oh boy, Pacino talks the talk):
"When I think of asses, a woman's ass, something comes out of me."
Al Pacino, Heat
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 08:51 PM

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 08:55 PM

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?Mr. Blonde - Reservoir Dogs

You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize. Mr. White - Reservoir Dogs

Lots of good ones in Tarantino Films.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 09:10 PM

'I am just going outside and may be some time.' attributed to Captain Oates in Captains Robert Falcon Scott's Dairy written just after they ate him.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 09:30 PM

"When we started in this business, all you had was a H.O. (edited for decency) and a guitar. You still have the guitar"

Willie Nelson to Slim Pickins in Honeysuckle Rose...
Posted by: Bob

Re: Favorite line - 05/26/07 10:20 PM

"Running isn't a plan; running's what you do when a plan fails!"

- Tremors
Posted by: kmat

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 12:43 AM

There are two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works.
Texas Bix Bender
Posted by: kmat

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 01:04 AM

Themalemutekid:
Try these!

Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charlie Brown, "Peanuts" [George Schultz]

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
--Mark Twain

kmat
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 02:00 AM

For Tarantino movies....

"What ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What? "

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've said that to people.

For more general stuff, it's my current tag line. They don't know, they're happier that way.
Posted by: TomP

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 03:48 AM

"I ain't got time to bleed." Jessie Ventura- Predator
Posted by: TomP

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 03:50 AM

OBG- it's sad -but it took me 45 seonds to figure out H.O.

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 01:46 PM

Sorry 'bout that...
Posted by: infrared

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 03:12 PM

"We'll do what we always do,fight until we can't"
-Starbuck Battlestar Galactica
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Favorite line - 05/27/07 05:26 PM

I've always liked Arnie's chat-up line: "Come with me if you want to live."
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 01:59 AM

What do you hear?

Nothing but the rain.
Posted by: Lasd02

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 02:35 AM

"There wasn't anything I could do, so I took a nap." sleep

R.A. Heinlein from TUNNEL IN THE SKY
Posted by: garrett

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 02:50 AM

First, see my sig,

but then:

"Did I scare you?" - Lightning

"Well a little bit, but I'll be alright!" - Mater

-Cars
Posted by: LED

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 08:26 AM

Favorite line from horror movies:

"Hello? Is anybody there?"

Maj. T.J. "King" Kong in Dr. Strangelove:

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."
Posted by: infrared

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 12:30 PM

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,commander of the Armies of the North,General of the Felix Legions,loyal servant to the true empereor,Marcus Aurelius.Father to a murdered son,husband to a murdered wife and I will have my vengeance,in this life or the next."

-Gladiator
Posted by: Frozen

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 02:45 PM

Apart from my sig, one thats cropped up lately is a Phillip Marlow line:

"I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun."

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 06:23 PM

"...one issue of prophylactics..."

There's that phrase again. Exactly how many prophylactics are in an "issue"???
Posted by: Susan

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 06:39 PM

"There's that phrase again. Exactly how many prophylactics are in an "issue"???"

Sigh. The American school system at its best. Again.

OBG: READ it again and do the (basic) math: "...three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings."

3 lipsticks
+
3 pairs of nylons
= 6 prophylactics in 1 issue

Sue (giggling)

Re: Favorite line - 05/28/07 06:46 PM

Makes sense I guess.

But then here are the "...sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills..." I have heard that some guys are not above using thingies like that to get some "attention". That could really throw the math off...
Posted by: wildman800

Prophylactic Issue??? - 05/28/07 08:32 PM

As the Medical Officer of the USCGC DRUMMOND, I stood @ the gangway and issued each departing member 3 Prophylactics, when we pulled into a port other than at home.

A high STD rate reflects badly on a C.O. and on the Medical Officer!!!! Besides, there are no longer any RED seated toilets onboard ship anymore!!!!

I know, I know, I'm was a sick gung-ho S.O.B.

Re: Prophylactic Issue??? - 05/29/07 12:43 AM

"...issued each departing member 3 Prophylactics..."

ONLY three??? I am so disappointed, I thought that the coasties had big brass ones smile smile smile
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Prophylactic Issue??? - 05/29/07 09:33 AM

That was for the first trip of the day out on liberty.

Remember, it was Coasties that came up with the "VD Inoculation Badge" story during WW2, which is why they had such good liberty in Naval Ports of Call, despite the competition!!!!!

Re: Prophylactic Issue??? - 05/29/07 01:34 PM

Smart guys, those Coasties!!!
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Prophylactic Issue??? - 05/29/07 04:00 PM

While it is noble to assist a striken elephant in rising, it is foolhardy to catch one that is falling down. Vietnamese proverb
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 04:17 PM

From some of my favorite films:

"Some things just get meaner as they get older."
"First rule of Italian driving...What's behind me is not important."
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 04:27 PM

Well, can I quote my dad:

"Son, the one thing you must understand... is that you will never understand women"

My wife would probably concur...
Posted by: thseng

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 05:11 PM

My grandfather once said:

"All it cost me to get married was $5 for the marriage license and all the money I made for the rest of my life."
Posted by: NAro

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 05:15 PM

My favorite line was to me from Ballard Haiden, an elderly gun collector in Virginia who sold me my first pistol many (too many) years ago.
When I got home, in the box was a note in thick pencil, on grade-school paper:

..."be reel keerful with this here gun, and don't never shoot nobody without they need it.."

Posted by: Blast

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 07:21 PM

By 1791, Alessandro Volta realized that the dead frog could be replaced by cardboard soaked in salt water.
From "The History of Electricity"

Whenever I get frustrated because something isn't working this line always pops into my head.

-Blast
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 07:58 PM

A couple of other good ones from films:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." (The Princess Bride)

"Why did you come to Casablanca, Rick?"
"I came for the waters."
"There are no waters in Casablanca."
"I was misinformed."
(Casablanca)

"He'll regret it to his dying day, if ever he lives that long." (The Quiet Man)

Posted by: bsmith

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 08:35 PM

1) "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow - what a ride!"

2) "It is what it is." Weather is not good or bad - it is what it is - we make it good or bad. Your day is not good or bad...
Posted by: monkey

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 09:07 PM

"Whiskey is man's best friend. Whiskey is bottled dog." -Vinicius de Moraes
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Favorite line - 05/29/07 11:10 PM

I don't really know where I head or picked it up from but it is somthing I have to rremind some people of from time to time.
"Don't mistake my kindness as weakness"
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Favorite line - 05/30/07 03:22 PM

Mongol Leader: "What is best in life?" Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Unknown: "A hundred years from now, it will not matter how large my bank account was, what sort of house I lived in, what kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."

Travis Dane: "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups" (edited)

Teddy Roosevelt: "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.
The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American."
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Favorite line - 05/30/07 06:03 PM

"We are the middle children of history. We have no great war, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're slowly learning this fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Favorite line - 06/14/07 11:54 AM

"The more I know, the less I understand." The Eagles
Believing that guns kill people is like believing that a spoon made Rosie Odonnell fat. Unknown.