Doug Ritter's Next Product?

Posted by: KenK

Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 01:43 AM

Doug has come up with really fantastic knives, survival kits, and lighting products. I'm sure he's got irons in the fire, but what would YOU like to see him come out with?

I've thought a lot about this and I'm coming up blank.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 02:01 AM

I've gotta say, and I know that I am gonna take some heat for this, that I am a little disappointed with the whole RSK Mk4 thing. A run of only 300 knifes, serialized, high priced, seems to me to be nothing more than a money making deal. Nothing wrong with that, but I would prefer something more along the lines of Dougs other knives and goodies; great quality, reasonable price, unlimited numbers, so anyone who wants can have one without digging into the kids college fund...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 02:13 AM

Keeps the forum running. And the paul knife is a nice knife, I've seen a lot worse engineering that felt worse in the hand go for a lot more because it is tacticool.

Besides, if you are in suit land, taking out a multitool or even a swiss army knife is apparently tacky. But a "gentleman's knife" is ok in many executive circles.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 02:28 AM

I think I would like to see a PSK MK.2 a supplemental kit to D.R's regular PSK Mybe shelter and water porcurement supplys.?

How about a D.R. First aid kit (FAK)

I do agree with OBG about the knifs, I can't even get a MK 1 or MK 3 altho I do have alot of good knifes now. smile

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 02:47 AM

"...Keeps the forum running..."

I couldn't agree more, and we all want that. But I feel that a thousand knifes at $100 each would be better than 300 at $182. Maybe just the ramblings of an OldBaldGuy...
Posted by: Blast

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:49 AM

Quote:
what would YOU like to see him come out with?

Some sort of hat. One that keeps the sun and rain off, is ventilated, has a secret pocket and looks great.

Yep, Doug needs to buy Tilley .

Seriously, I think a hat would be a great peice of equipment for Doug to offer.

-Blast
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 04:09 AM

i would like to see a kit in a can that you could cook
in..soup,cocoa,tea..something like the old Storm Kits by
Tacoma Mountain Rescue..
Posted by: PaleHorse

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 04:31 AM

Like Blast Said, a hat is a good idea

How about a belt, often over looked item

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 04:56 AM

Wasn't that explored last fall and got panned by the crowd becuase many of us have inconveniently large skulls?

If I had to pick a product, a good pack, in the 2500-2700 cube range, molle and hydration compatible, that was something OTHER than black, OD, tan or some cammo pattern. Like red, or yellow, it doesn't ahve to be eye bleeding neon. I never got a PSP becuase I already had all the bits in my kits; I never got the knives becuase I have ones I like already. But if there was a well designed pack that didn't look tactical, even though it was built that tough, I might just have to roll some change. smile

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 04:57 AM

Actually, collectibles go fast, while the day to day stuff takes up shelf space. I was very surprised by the price, in all honesty- I've seen used Paul knives go for more than that.
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 12:30 PM

They no longer make the pro-survival belt kit and i can't find (in England) a belt with an innner zip pouch all the way along the length to make my own. So Dougs pocket size one (plus torch knife etc)in a belt would be good.
And I second the vote for something between the pocket kit and the 2 man plane one. A solo backpackers size one.
Simon
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 01:16 PM

An air tight mess tin made from Titanium (with roll closure lid), about the size of Sigg Box (the small one which would allow heating up an MRE) with a detachable folding handle with another mini mess tin the same size and design as the BCB mini mess tin again made from titanium (again sealable) inside.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 01:17 PM

I can live with the price, given that a Paul is a quality knife. I guess that the run of only 300 is what gets me. Serial number the first three hundred if you want, but don't stop at that number. That turns the things into collectors items, which only helps the lucky 300 owners. How 'bout the rest of us common folk who were not lucky enough to get one???
Posted by: billym

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 01:23 PM

How about a book? All kinds of survival including travel and airports and of course the wilderness stuff.

OBG,
The MK4 is reasonably priced when you compare it to other Lone Wolf-Paul colaborations.
I think the MK4 is an excellent knife and was worth the $182 I spent.
It is well made by a high quality manufacturer with a unique locking mechanism and is made out of high quality materials.
The first run of original RSKs were a numbered limited run as well. Would you make a 1000+ knives on the first try?
As far as it being a money making scheme; of course it is. Doug is trying to fund ETS and needs to make some money on everything he sells. I rememebr a lot of folks saying the MK1 was too pricey compared to the BM Griptilians. Custom colaborations always cost a little more...

This smaller knife has all of the feel of a knife twice its size; it will be an excellent folder for those times my Mini Ritter is too pocket heavy.

It does not look like they are sold out yet. I don't know if they are going in number order but I got 121 so you may be able to snag one if you want.

If you get one you will not be disappointed.
B
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 02:56 PM

I think your thinking along the same lines that I am. I'd like to see a non collectable knife. Sure the ETS ones now are nice but I wouldn't want to carry it around and get the pretty logo all scratched up. I want something I can carry around and use.
A lot of knife companies are sub contracting out work to small knife makers, latest one I was looking as is a buck hartsok (or something like that) which is Buck contracting the small guy to make a bunch of his knives for them. ETS could do that, find a smaller maker and have them make one of their models for ETS that otherwise would be unknown because of no marketing structure.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:16 PM

Sounds crazy but I cant find a phone I like to cary in the woods

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:29 PM

How about a belt with a steel buckle that can be used with flint to strike sparks? Perferably something that won't raise eyebrows going through airport security.

-Blast

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:29 PM

one word; Tricorder smile
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:31 PM

Totally agree on this one. But, designing a pack has SO many variables! Pocket layout (one big, external, water bottle?), what type of shoulder straps, size (people do come in short through super-tall), color (I agree: something visible, without being hideous), purpose of the pack (eg, day pack, multi-day, BOB only), Hydration pocket compatible... the list could go on.

I think it's a great idea, though, and hopefully one that is looked in to. Personally, I'd be glad to pitch in my two cents.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:32 PM

On the airport theme. They have allowed me to go through with EMT shears. How about ETS shears that come apart into a kinfe (blunt tip)etc.

Maybe kind of like this idea;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daniels-Fisherman-Vi...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted by: garland

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:45 PM

1) A PSK "plus" - enhanced size kit running around the 75 dollar price mark which offers significantly more features.
2) A PSK "addon" - brings up the standard kit to plus specifications
3) A cheaper knife - I'm all about good knives, but you can still have a good, competent knife at a significantly lower price point. Especially if you make it "no frills".
4) A good vacuum sealer - I said it before, I'll say it again. When doug was disappointed in the new vacuum sealer he purchased, the first thing he should have thought of it as was as a business opportunity.
5) I'm definitely down with a durable-multiuse clothing line.

Just want you to know doug - anytime you want to hire me as a product guy you let me know :P

Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 03:55 PM

If you make anymore clothing, Doug, please keep us small-framed ladies in mind. Perhaps we're not your target audience, but dang, that jacket sure is nice.
Posted by: Buckshot13

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 04:05 PM

I would definitely like to see a book!
Posted by: Kris

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 05:08 PM

I like the idea of a more advance PSK kit. Maybe in several different price points. The one currently out, then a $50, then a $75-$100, then the ultimate one with all quality componets?

How about a 'build your own' kit? Where a user is given a list of all items you can choose from , then you pick what you need/want/can't live without, and it gets put together in a bag/metal box/pelican case. Sounds more like REI or MEC where your shopping online. But the thing is, when your ordering online, you have no idea how much space is required to pack the items.
Posted by: harrkev

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 05:48 PM

A special ETS paper bag. Non-equipped people can put this over their heads so they can't see what is going to get them in the end.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: PaleHorse
Sounds crazy but I cant find a phone I like to cary in the woods

Yet another reason to go into the woods.

True, but with my daughter(20) with child and I still have a 10 year old at home... some times I need to be contacted

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 06:03 PM

I've actually been contemplating this myself. I don't talk on the cell phone much so I want something with exra features to make it worthwhile carrying around. Have a halfway decent camera so I can take a picture of somehting in the woods. Or how about let me actually see the GPS data that is there for 911 location services.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 06:37 PM

Get the Palm Treo phone. Almost a full scale computer (of mid 90-es) which is always with you. Fully customizable with zillions of software items and Palm PDA accessories. Even if a cell tower is out of view - you still have plenty of useful features.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 07:10 PM

Another possibility: some sort of Maxpedition Versipack style bag but with a steel mesh liner and cut-proof shoulder straps like pacsafe's stuff. I'd love to have something like that when travelling.

-Blast
Posted by: GrantC

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: harrkev
A special ETS paper bag. Non-equipped people can put this over their heads so they can't see what is going to get them in the end.

Best. Reply. Yet.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/25/07 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: harrkev

Best. Reply. Yet.

-=[ Grant ]=-

You know thats going to be in April 2008 newsletter.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/26/07 04:33 AM

Interesting list. Obviously, I can't comment on specifics, but some of the suggestions touch on stuff we are working on. By and large, the problem isn't coming up with ideas of things to do, I have a list a mile long, it's figuring out ways to do them that makes financial sense or works within the limitations in finances and such we must deal with. In other cases, it is limited by available capacity at potential or existing partners.

As to the issue of the knives, all I can say is if it was as easy as has been suggested, I'd have done it. Bringing a product to market is a difficult and expensive proposition. Bringing a lower-end product is even more difficult because of the large numbers involved. We don't have the resources, it can take 6 figures, and the companies that do are quite careful about what they develop and my stuff doesn't generally turn them on. Not sexy enough. I'd love to do an inexpensive line of knives, but so would lots of others.

We continue to look at possibilities and keep our options open. I appreciate all your support.

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/26/07 01:32 PM

"...The first run of original RSKs were a numbered limited run as well..."

I wasn't aware of that. If that is the case, and this new blade will probably lead to a longer production run, I am a happy camper again...

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/26/07 05:24 PM

Save up for the MK4. I can not put it down and since summer is here I may even be EDCing it a bit.

This is a little knife that thinks it is a big knife. (like a Jack Russell thinks it is a big dog...).
It has a thick sturdy blade that is not reminicient of many other smaller sized knives. The slight recurve extends the cutting edge a bit and makes a nice "pocket" along the base of the blade for precision carving. This also creates a slight "belly" along the leading edge of the blade which will also aid cutting tasks.
The blade has the same high quality that the other S30V Ritter knives have and is of course razor sharp.
The Paul lock is very secure and easy to get used to and one hand opening and closing is easy to master.
When clipped to a pocket all you need to do is grasp the knife by the locking mechanism with your index finger and thumb. Pull it out of the pocket and squeeze the lock and let the handle "fall" open locking the blade in the open position.
This is my first knife with G-10; it is like micarta made with fiberglass cloth as the base material. It is smooth yet grippy in the hand.

Just a little review....

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/27/07 02:14 PM

Oh, I finally thought of something.

In another post excellent post, Polak187 said that he much preferred a multitool over a regular knife. That got me to thinking that it would be GREAT if Doug was able to "Ritterize" a leatherman Wave or similar multitool. By that I mean add a blade that is much wider than the typical with a drop point blade.

I'd also prefer to have fewer screwdrivers (though one that fits the Brunton 15TDCL's declination adjustment is OK) and more useful tools for the outdoors - such as something like the awl with the sewing hole in SAKs.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/27/07 05:22 PM

I would like an ETS bandanna. That would be a normal bandanna of suitable size and material, printed with some information that would be useful in a survival situation. Hopefully without looking too nerdish or macho.

I appreciate it would be hard to do economically because people wouldn't want to pay a lot for it. Possibly they'd need to be sold in packs of 3 or 5 to get the price up. I should think the design and implementation would be relatively simple compared to knives etc. Currently I think the ideal size and material would be about 32" silk.

The main design issue is deciding what information to put on it. Possibilities include diagrams showing how to use the bandanna as a bandage (eg how to tie around a foot) or sling, how to use it as cordage, how to tie into a bag or sack. General survival info about fires and shelters etc. Personally I'd be tempted to include layouts for a board game such as backgammon (I think backgammon is a better game than chess and its easier to improvise the pieces).

I'd live it to include good maps, but how you would pick the area and scale?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/27/07 07:40 PM

44"x44" nomex

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/27/07 10:17 PM

Being a great fan of Leatherman tools, I've gotta say that is the best idea I have heard yet!!!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/27/07 11:28 PM

Yeah, THAT would do wonders for the retail price shocked

Chances are, if something like that came out, it'd have to be a cheaper material to justify a reasonable price tag. Cotton might be out, maybe silk (though I've yet to understand why there are die-hard fans of it). Maybe a wool or nylon blend of some sort.

But, to play Devil's Advocate, there's already something like that out:
EDCdepot.com, click on "survival gear" then "orange blaze survival bandana" Item # SU00031

It probabaly could be improved upon though(larger, for one thing!).
Posted by: redflare

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/29/07 08:42 AM

Ladies Folder?
Posted by: norad45

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/29/07 01:20 PM

I'd like to see a reliable ETS button compass, like that tiny SAS one.
Posted by: Craig_phx

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/29/07 07:11 PM

I would like to see a Ritter emergency shelter. Something that would get you out of the wind and rain quickly. One-handed would be even better.

I would also like to see a Ritter water filter and purifier system.

In the rule of threes; after oxygen to the brain, shelter/fire and water are next.

I think the Sparklite and TinderQuik take care of fire.
Posted by: Craig_phx

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 05/29/07 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: simplesimon
They no longer make the pro-survival belt kit and i can't find (in England) a belt with an innner zip pouch all the way along the length to make my own. So Dougs pocket size one (plus torch knife etc)in a belt would be good.
And I second the vote for something between the pocket kit and the 2 man plane one. A solo backpackers size one.
Simon

I think a CamelBak size PSK is the right size while hiking or for your car/4x4 if you have to walk out. Plus, you have the main survival item: water.
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 06/01/07 12:59 PM

A few people have asked for different sizes of kits. A place for people to pick items to combine together themselves into kits (with doug writing recommendations) would supply what a lot of people want and sounds simple to provide.
More new kits rather than knives please! In England they belong at about number 50 on a survival list and we can't carry them anyway.
Course new knives and kits keeps everyone happy.
Simon

Re: Doug Ritter's Next Product? - 06/01/07 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redflare
Ladies Folder?

grin

I would buy one of these for my wife in a heartbeat IF I knew she was going to carry it. As is, I bought her a SAK Climber in StayGlo yellow and she won't carry it to work in her purse. She feels she can't bring a knife to work (not a rule, just her view of things). Opposites attract you know.

Ken