If you can pick any folder, what would it be?

Posted by: Kris

If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 12:52 AM

If cost wasn't a factor, what would you pick for a folder?

Personally, I am looking for a 3" folder and have been reading lots of reviews (and posts here), pretty much getting as much info as I can. It will be an EDC for me, for work and play.

Any info is helpful.

Kris
Posted by: Stu

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 01:02 AM

I'm easy, A Alox Farmer Swiss Army Knife. Strong tools, nice saw, and a reasonable but somewhat soft blade. I EDC one urban and woods.
Posted by: FRERAD1776

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 03:28 AM

I EDC Doug Ritter's Mk I folder. It has handled every task I've used it for.
I don't leave home without it.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 04:04 AM

You should go out to a good knife shop, and try out as many knives as you can.I like to handle a knife before I buy it.You have to buy what feels right to your hands based on weight & size. Then you can talk to someone that works at the knife shop & ask about different blade & handle materials, as well as blade shapes.Then you gotta think about what you're gonna be doing with the blade, are you gonna do some prying or rope cutting..etc. Then you can pick the right knife for your needs. Mostly pick a knife that feels good in your hands. When you find the right knife you'll know it & by all means have fun, knife shopping is one of lifes simple pleasures...well atleast for me it is smile
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 06:11 AM

Other things to keep in mind: decide beforehand just how much you're ready to spend on a folder. Could be $20 or $200, but be realistic in your expectations and never buy junk, you'll only regret it later. Look for a quality steel. Stainless is the most practical for EDC. 440C or 12C27 is ok, AUS-8, CPM-S30V, 154CM, VG-10 is better. This assumes that the steel is heat treated correctly (shouldn't be a problem with any reputable brand) and hardened to at least 57HRc. Blade shape depends on what you're going to use your knife for (drop point is the best choice overall for an all-purpose knife, clip point makes a sharper tip). The lock should be absolutely secure, strong enough but still reasonably easy to operate. Lockback or liner lock doesn't really matter but if the latter, make sure the knife has solid enough grip scales that the liner lock won't disengage accidentally.

Depending on your daily habits, figure out how you're going to carry it. In the pocket, belt sheath etc. Would you prefer a pocket clip or not? If yes, does the knife come with an adjustable clip that allows a particular configuration that you're most comfortable with (tip up, tip down, left/right handed)? Most better folders these days can be opened with one hand. Thumb hole or stud is up to you. The handle should be checkered, grooved or otherwise shaped to allow a firm grip. Lastly, though a beefy folder is potentially stronger and more durable make sure it isn't too bulky for you in EDC. Good luck!
Posted by: JIM

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 10:54 AM

The Leatherman e300 or e301
Posted by: benjammin

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 12:23 PM

This might be cheating a little, but the Leatherman Wave I have is probably my first choice. The blades do lock, but more importantly, it is a true multi tasker, which puts it at the top of my list, and having seen a guy field dress an elk with his, I know it will do all that I would need of a folder.

However, if it were a dedicated folder, and price were no object, then the illusive Busse folder would be my knife of choice.

Since that knife is not available as yet, the Ritter MK4 is probably the goto knife for the money.

The KA-BAR desert Mule that I currently EDC is probably the best value for money for a dedicated folder with the qualities I am looking for.

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 12:32 PM

Currently I EDC a CRKT KISS folder when they first came out. I've been carrying that ever since. All through out my life i've been carrying something, SAK's, basic knifes, etc.

I also have a leatherman e307x in my bag. I really don't like that knife for EDC. Big and bulky (yes i know theres a bit driver and carabiner in there), but over all I get the feeling that its cheaply made. I just won't rely on it.

Since I work in cube land in a corporate environment, pocket carry is more desirable. I do like having a pocket clip and makes for deployment much better.

Knife shops in my neck of the woods are hard to come by. Either shop online or fly to the states are my options. Having said that, a trip to Miami is coming up soon. Any good knife shops there?

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 12:37 PM

Benjammin,

Do you have any details on the Busse folder?"

Kris
Posted by: benjammin

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 12:45 PM

Not yet, other than there are an awful lot of people waiting for the Busse shop to make one. They keep hinting that one is coming, eventually.

Posted by: KenK

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 01:27 PM

I'm a proud and loyal Rittergrip owner. For EDC I carry a mini-Rittergrip (easy-carry) and when out camping I carry the fullsize Rittergrip in-pocket with a fixed Rittergrip in my daypack. They are great performers and tough as nails.

I have lots of other knives - SAKS, Bucks, Gerbers, Moras - but the ones I carry and use are Doug Ritter's RSK Mk1/Mk3 knives.

If weight is not an issue I'll ususally also throw a Leatherman Charge Ti in my daypack - mostly for the pliars and scissors, thought the saw did get used once to make freehand miter cuts on a bulletin board frame at summer camp last year.

Ken K.
Posted by: norad45

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 02:17 PM

If price is no object then it's easy: the Equipped to Survive Sebenza. Better hurry-there are only 2 left!

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 04:15 PM

How would the Sebenza compare to the Mk3?

Is there a review that compares the Sebenza to another knife?

Kris
Posted by: norad45

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Kris
How would the Sebenza compare to the Mk3?

Is there a review that compares the Sebenza to another knife?

Kris

I believe you mean the Mk1? The Mk3 is a fixed blade.

Since price is an object for me I do not own a Sebenza yet (drool, drool) . Maybe after my Randall 25 gets here (just 2 short years to go on that one.) Believe me, if I had the money I'd spring for the ETS Sebbie right now.

You can find reviews of the Sebenza at Bladeforums. There are a couple of threads discussing Sebenza vs. Griptilians, including RSK's here and here. There are plenty more if you do a search.

I have had the full-size Mk1 for awhile now and carry nothing else besides a small multi-tool. Knowing how mine has held up, I'll say you can't go wrong with any of the Ritter knives.

Posted by: Xterior

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 07:17 PM

I guess a ghostdogpup from kevin wilkins, or a lochsa

And i like this one also.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 11:12 PM

I usually carry a Benchmade mini Griptilian(440C). I've sent it back to the factory 3 or 4 times, and it's still a beast. It's probably my favorite knive (but dropping). I use it mainly camping, EDC or when I worked on an ambulance.

Recently picked up this:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=63

Haven't EDC'd it much yet (it's at my parent's house while I'm in school) but the handle feels like it's velcro'd to my hand. I LOVE it. It's a totally different blade than the Griptilian, so I doubt I'll camp with it, but so far it's stood up perfectly. It might be a bit pointed (aggressive looking) for work, but it'll probably tag along with me some days, and it'll be my EDC once I rescue it from my drawer!

My other 'work' knife is a Gerber Hinderer Rescue. It's too large for my taste, and I don't carry it since I'm in school now. But, when I finally graduate, I can see it being my 2nd line knife (it DOES have some nice features on it).

To answer the question, though:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=LWLC18100
Haven't played with it yet; hopefully soon!

Posted by: big_al

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 11:20 PM

I EDC a SAK lock blade with saw, works for me.
Posted by: picard120

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 11:51 PM

I have benchmade folder with 154CM blade, VG10 handle. The blade is extremely sharp and easy to sharpen. The synthetic handle is strong too.

Benchmade is a high quality knife manufacturer.
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/16/07 11:59 PM

Out of the pack, the Emerson, Ritter MkI, SAK Rucksack, and multiple leatherman's, the winner is:

The Leatherman Supertool.

M
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/17/07 12:03 AM

If cost wasn't a factor I would have to choose the Pat Crawford Knives - Mini Raider

Overall Length: 167 mm
Blade Length: 72 mm
Handle Material: Carbon Fibre
Blade: S30V Damascus

Posted by: MDinana

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/17/07 01:02 AM

Ooooohhhh... that's nice.....

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 05/21/07 05:24 PM

All,

Thanks for all your input... I'm leaning towards the mini MK1 as I don't think the wife will let me spend more then 200 bucks on a folding knife, especially since I don't live in the woods or would use it like my life depended on it (on a regular basis). If i was in a different job other then working 12 hours a day in cube land, that would be a different story.

I think I'll try to get a bigger budget for my EDC PSK (combo of urban and non-urban items).

Thanks again!
Kris
Posted by: saniterra

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/14/07 12:03 PM

I pocket carry a Spyderco Native, great knife but I lost it. I now pocket carry a large Benchmade Griptilian. In my briefcase, I go large and heavy - a Leatherman Surge and a Benchmade Skirmish 630.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/14/07 03:01 PM

I carry an old Benchmade Emerson 975 and, while I love it, it's not the "one" I would pick. I think right now I would want the BM mini-Skirmish. It's thin, not too large but big enough, sports a good stainless steel (S30V), and I can carry it in the waistband tip down. Now, if I could redesign it I would probably ask for a thumbstud or wheel instead of the hole.

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/14/07 10:52 PM

Hummm... i'm down to either the Benchmade Griptilian or the mk1. Look to be pretty much the same knife. Any comparisons done on them?

Thanks in advance,
Kris
Posted by: Stretch

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/14/07 11:07 PM

Well Kris, I'm pretty sure they're just about the same knife. Don;t hold me to that but it's nearly true about the fixed blades (different steel, blade shape, and blade finish).

I think the Mk1 has S30V steel as opposed to 154CM (which isn;t a slouch), a different blade shape and finish, like the fixed blades. They both have the AXIS lock. Personally, I like the blade shape on all the Ritters as opposed to the original Benchmade Grips. It's deeper with more belly. $40 difference...the rest is up to individual tastes.

There are some reviews at bladeforums on the Grip, but I haven;t read any on Ritter's knives. I'm sure they're out there.

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/14/07 11:55 PM

Stretch... Thanks man. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either.
Posted by: tfisher

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/15/07 02:38 AM

I bought both sizes of Doug Ritters folders and I am totally impressed. I should have bought these when they were first offered.
Posted by: JohnnyUpton

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/16/07 04:02 AM

Harsey T2
Posted by: Russ

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/16/07 02:03 PM

I have both the new BM Griptilian 550HG (154CM with the Spyderco hole) and the Ritter Grip (RSK Mk1); they are both great knives. The BM Grip is hollow-ground (HG) with a modified sheepsfoot (the tip is lower, less belly) profile. For a lot of my everyday stuff it's just fine. The RSK Mk1 has a bit more weight in the S30V blade, is flat ground and has a drop point profile. It's a different knife even though it looks similar. The 550HG is in my pocket right now. The RSK is literally in a bag at my feet.

When I go hiking/camping I swap the two and carry the RSK Mk1 even though the 550HG would probably suffice; the 550 stays home. The RSK has a stronger edge and slightly better steel; it should stand up to hard use better than the 154CM HG blade on the newer Griptilian.

My $.02, YMMV
Posted by: KenK

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/18/07 09:04 PM

Get the mini-RSK Mk1. You won't be sorry. I've EDC'ed one for several years now and it is one tough knife - and nicely sized for daily pocket carry.

The blade is distinctly different from the standard issue Griptilian both in shape, grind, and steel. In my view it is well worth the extra cost ... plus some of the money goes to support equipped.org, which is in itself a very worthy cause.

As much as the fullsized Mk1 feels better in my hand, it is a bit to bulky for daily (at work) pocket wear.
Posted by: sodak

Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? - 06/19/07 01:06 AM

I've got a couple of BM grips and a small Sebenza, and others. For around $150, the Spyderco Caly 3 in ZDP 189 with Carbon Fiber handles blows them all away. Check it out, it's a great knife, very good ergonomics, wonderful fit and finish.

My second place would be the Vic Farmer. Very handy knife, I usually EDC both.