gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle

Posted by: picard120

gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/02/07 04:39 PM

I have frequent gastrointestinal problem after I ate ramen noodles.

Does anyone have this problem ? This happens only when I eat any noodles packages such as korean noodles, ramen, chinese noodles.
Posted by: FRERAD1776

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/02/07 04:59 PM

Perhaps it's the melamine.:-)

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/02/07 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: FRERAD1776
Perhaps it's the melamine.:-)

oh dam. I thought so. Can someone sound the alarm for mass recall of ramen noodles?? shocked
Posted by: Wraith

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/02/07 05:11 PM

It could be monosodium glutamate. I understand a large percentage of americans have an allergy to this chemical. It usually causes varying degrees of indigestion and gastrointestinal problems. My fiancee gets quite ill after having chinese food with MSG in it. Took a long time to figure out why. I've heard it said that the allergy can develop over time or build up in your system, apparently MSG isn't quickly removed from the body.
Posted by: billym

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/02/07 05:23 PM

I would avoid these all together. Most instant ramen noodles are packed full of MSG, sodium and fat. As a food they have very little nutritional value.

I have experienced all kinds of stomach problems from eating ramen; I consider it to be poison and would be reluctant to even eat it in an emergency. It will just make me sick.

I would look to higher quality alternatives from a health food store / natural market. They do cost more but they are actually good for you as opposed to cheap ramen.
Posted by: norad45

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/02/07 05:29 PM

Nope. No problems here and I eat them all the time.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/02/07 05:58 PM

The SPRNA "Society for the Prevention of Ramen Noodle Abuse" can help... we've had to work with Scouts with this affliction for years, it usually stems from not the noodles, but, the strange experiments in "mix-ins" with the ramen noodles. We've seen such gastrointenstinal nightmares as ramen with linguica and onions, ramen with Slim Jims, ramen with M&M's (not kidding), ramen with...you guessed it...SPAM.

There's still hope, the SPRNA is here to help :-)

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/02/07 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Wraith
It could be monosodium glutamate. I understand a large percentage of americans have an allergy to this chemical. It usually causes varying degrees of indigestion and gastrointestinal problems. My fiancee gets quite ill after having chinese food with MSG in it. Took a long time to figure out why. I've heard it said that the allergy can develop over time or build up in your system, apparently MSG isn't quickly removed from the body.

my body has no problem digesting MSG since I eat Chinese food frequently. Its the Ramen noodles that cause me great distress. I have no problem eating noodles cooked from a restaurant.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/03/07 01:10 AM

is it all noodles, or just the instant/asian varieties?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/03/07 02:04 AM

I eat them four, five times a week. How much salt do you normally take in, and how much water do you drink when you eat these? They are salty enough that some people have a problem with them.

Again, since you ask us about a health issue about once a week or week and a half, have you talked to a doctor?
Posted by: Susan

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen noodle - 05/03/07 02:10 AM

Try eating the noodles with something else, and tossing the seasoning packet. If no problems, it's probably something in the packet. It's cheap junk, after all.

I've heard that some Chinese restaurants are starting to eliminate MSG because they're losing customers to it. Ask.

Sue

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/03/07 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
is it all noodles, or just the instant/asian varieties?

I am refering to the instant asian varieties.
Posted by: wolf

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/03/07 05:44 AM

I had them today for lunch - no not very nutritious, but real cheap.

I've never had any problem with them.

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/03/07 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wolf
I had them today for lunch - no not very nutritious, but real cheap.

I've never had any problem with them.

that's strange. I am the only person having this problem. I think the spices is the main cause of gastrointestinal irritation.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/03/07 06:10 PM

That don't surprise me. There's not much to the noodles themselves, just a handful of complex carbos mostly. But them spice packets can be potent stuff. Try cutting back on the amount you add to the noodles, or using boullion as a substitute and see if that works better.
Posted by: aardvark

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/04/07 09:18 PM

The noodles are also fried in some oil, usually palm oil, to preserve them, maybe that's the problem?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: gastrointestinal problem after eating ramen no - 05/04/07 11:22 PM

Oh GREAT !!!! I keep 5 of these in my BOB (along with 4 MREs) as supplemental Emergency Rations.