Check that dryer vent!

Posted by: snoman

Check that dryer vent! - 05/02/07 01:55 AM

Hi all. I got home early from work today so I figured I'd mow the lawn right away (it's supposed to rain later this evening). As I'm pushing the mower, I just happen to glance at the vent for the clothes dryer and it looks like there's something sticking out of it. So I investigate and find a fair amount of lint (otherwise known as 'tinder'). When I finished with the lawn, I go inside and pull the whole vent assembly apart, shop vac at the ready. There wasn't a lot in there but there was more than I liked finding. It might pay to check it out. I'll have to add 'make sure dryer vent is free of lint' to my list of seasonal-things-to-do.
Posted by: aloha

Re: Check that dryer vent! - 05/02/07 04:44 AM

I think the rule of thumb is to have it cleaned at least once a year to reduce the fire hazard.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Check that dryer vent! - 05/02/07 12:25 PM

Dryer lint is one of the most common causes of home fires. Want to really scare yourself? take the back off of your dryer and see how much lint gets caught back there! I tend to clean mine every six months or so, but we have a gas dryer and being a firefighter... well you get the idea.
Posted by: jhlewis10

Re: Check that dryer vent! - 05/02/07 01:40 PM

My dryer vent runs 20 ft horizontally, and when the top of my dryer felt warm I new there was a problem. I purchased a brush with fiberglass sections that attaches to my drill. Ran that through a few times and then duct taped my leaf blower to the inside connection. I am not kidding it looked like it snowed in my back yard.

Its amazing how much faster clothes dry now.

Check it annually.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Check that dryer vent! - 05/02/07 06:49 PM

Good advice -- thanks. Also, check your smoke detectors and fire extinguisher!