Ticks in family car, removal suggestions?

Posted by: silent_weapon

Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 12:24 AM

I took my two oldest daughters (2 & 4) on an overnight camping trip last night. It was great...but the camp grounds were littered with ticks (VERY small, like pepper flakes) I removed one from each of us before nightfall and one each after returning home....despite wearing deepwoods off.

The question is....I took the "new - less than a year old" family mini-van to transport all of the "car" camping necessities and after the wife got in the car later today she had two ticks crawling on her.

Is there a safe and non-toxic way to try to get rid of this plague of ticks? I have an infant that is less than a month old and don't really want to have to "bug bomb" the car.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 12:36 AM

Ask your vet (or a vet if you don't have any animals) about Frontline in a spray bottle. It'll be expensive, but it kills ticks better then just about anything else. You might ask your vet for advice, but that's what I would suggest.
Posted by: LED

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 02:15 AM

Maybe permethrin spray like the kind used to treat clothing, tents, and mosquito netting would work. Or, if you just wanted to treat the carpets and not the seats you could buy some cheap white sheets and cover the seats temporarily. I do this in my car for when i take my dog hiking cause not only does it protect the seats but the white just makes it easier to spot ticks. Just a thought.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 02:33 AM

I wonder how ticks handle high heat? Seems like in the summer, I find formerly pesky bugs dead in the car after it bakes for 8 hours in the parking lot on a sunny day. I wonder how much heat ticks can survive? Anyone know?
Posted by: silent_weapon

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 03:28 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. While googling...I located information about permanone and thinking I didn't really want to spray the seats....treating sheets and draping them is an Excellent Idea!!!!!!!! I think that is what I'll try as soon as I can find some of that permanone/permethrin...

Thanks again.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 04:43 AM

Frontline spray will only kill where you spray, I think. Ticks like cracks, etc. Miss the cracks....

Ticks and tick nymphs have survived an hour of high heat in a clothes dryer. One site says that tumbler-style clothes dryers can reach 345F/175C (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=729373)
Previous posts here have indicated that interiors of black cars in AZ (I think) were only 130-140F (IIRC).

Personally, I would use the bomb. I would suspect that the possible danger from the ticks is worse than from the bomb. I would buy one from the vet. A lot of the topical flea stuff that they sell has been tested better than those sold over the counter, although I don't know if the same holds true with the bombs. Ask your vet.

Just use the bomb as directed, then open all the windows and let it air out for a couple of hours. If you have a garage, leave all the windows open for a few days. To be safer, use the "old" car for the baby for a week or so.

Or ask your pediatrician.

Sue
Posted by: wolf

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/24/07 03:44 PM

Open the door on the vehicle, take five gallons of gasoline and douse the interior. Step back and light a road flare. Toss it in the vehicle and run.

I HATE TICKS!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/25/07 01:01 AM

Ticks don't like heat if they don't have a water source, they dehydrate pretty easily.

Once again, a safe, non toxic way to rid an area of such vermin would be ultrasonic sweeps. I don't know what the sweet spot is on ticks, but I betcha 18Khz to 40 Khz at 100 db or so would send them packing pretty quick, or melt them.

If they are still in the nymph stage (souunds like it from the size you described), then they won't be egg laying, and in a couple weeks they would descicate or seek life elsewhere in search of something to live on.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/25/07 01:03 PM

How do you get rid of ticks from your clothes if you can't see them?

is it possible to wash clothes with bleach to kill them?
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/25/07 04:41 PM

I'd have to go with the bomb as well. I imagine it will smell pretty bad in there for a while.

My wife and i were looking at some rural property for a retreat last year and we both had ticks on our legs later that night. My wife was pretty freaked out by the whole ordeal.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/26/07 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: AROTC
Ask your vet (or a vet if you don't have any animals) about Frontline in a spray bottle. It'll be expensive, but it kills ticks better then just about anything else. You might ask your vet for advice, but that's what I would suggest.

is this Frontline drug dangerous on contact with human skin?
Posted by: Susan

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/26/07 02:54 AM

From http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/sub7_spray.asp :

"As with any flea control product, wash your hands and exposed skin thoroughly with soap and water after use."

No, I've never understood that, either, unless lifespan makes the difference.

Sue
Posted by: justin2006

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/26/07 04:19 AM

When Frontline first came out (many many years ago), my vet was very enthusiastic about the product - I remember him distinctly saying how safe it was, and how you could rub all over your body, even wash your hands in it, without risk.

I've never rubbed it all over my body or washed my hands with it, but I have used it on my dogs for years, and it works great. Better than great. It's a great product.

Justin
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Ticks in family car, removal suggestions? - 04/26/07 05:12 AM

The dangerous dose on a fully grown human, no matter how large or small, for most chemicals is a LOT higher than it is for an infant who's nervous system is still expanding, has maybe a cup of bone marrow, and has kidneys the size of my thumbs.

Odds are the stuff oxidizes pretty quickly. But if you read the warning on most insect repellents for humans, they say not get them IN you, say hands -> food -> belly. Heck, flea collars say "not for human use".