which languages are in most demand in the world?

Posted by: picard120

which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 02:46 AM

which foreign languages are in most demand around the world? I want to learn those languages to enhance my career.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 03:56 AM

Firstly, what is your career? Certainly Spanish will cover most of latin America and Brazil's close portugeuse. Of course, you may meet up with a rainforest indian or, in my case a family of Mixtecs picking california spinach who knew less spanish than english! Chinese and japanese are pushed for business in the far east. Inversely, lots of chinese and japanese are learning english. It really hinges on your career. If your a Mozart loving musician definetly german.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 04:22 AM

If you're in America, and unless your career directs otherwise, learn Spanish. You already know English. Next to English, Spanish is the language that will be most spoken in the U.S. in the coming decades.
Posted by: Arney

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/07/07 04:27 AM

China will only continue to grow in economic importance, so Mandarin Chinese is a great choice.

But it also depends on what sort of career you're contemplating. Languages popular for a business person is not the same as the languages most in demand for the diplomatic corps, for example.
Posted by: NYC2SoCal

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/07/07 05:10 AM

If you're in the white collar corporate world, Chinese, specifically Mandarin Chinese.
Posted by: LED

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/07/07 05:14 AM

in my experince if you can speak English, Spanish, and French you should be able to communicate with no problems pretty much anywhere. Chinese is a good choice too. I doubt many westerners speak chinese fluently so that, in itself, would be a highly valuable skill.
Posted by: redflare

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/07/07 05:48 AM

I tried to learn Chinese once, it was a lost cause since I can't carry a tune too well. smile
Chinese is very easy in terms of grammar, but very hard in terms of pronunciation (its a tonal language) and also having to learn a lot of characters for reading and writing doesn't help.

Learn Spanish, French and possibly Portuguese.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 04:59 PM

Chinese is already very important, Chinese is starting to compete with English as the lingua franca of business. Spanish is tremendously important in the US and Americas. One language I haven't seen mentioned so far though is Arabic. A fifth of the worlds population is Muslim and while not all of them speak Arabic or even the same dialect of Arabic, Arabic is a tremendously important language for business in the Middle East, North Africa and parts of India and Pakistan. Learning classical arabic would serve you well. On the other hand, if you're doing business in India your choices swing towards Hindi, Urdu or Gujarati. Of course the problem with India is that there are so many different languages spoken.

It all depends on where you're doing business and who you're doing business with.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 07:04 PM

Most of the worlds business is done in English. Think about it, to do business with Americans and Brits you need to speak English. Spanish is the second most spoken language here in the U.S. English is pretty much the most desirable language in the civalized world right now.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 09:00 PM

Most of the world's business is done in English, but he already speaks English. It'd be better for him to evaluate who he'll be working with and learn their language. Spainish won't do him a lick of good if he's working with Moroccans or Saudi's or Hong Kong businessmen. Spainish is a great skill if he owns a small business but if he works for a company doing international work its only the best choice if he's working in South or Central America.
Posted by: KenK

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/07/07 11:58 PM

Last year my U.S. company got purchased by a German company. Lately I've been working with lots of folks in Germany, and it would be nice to speak German, but that German company considers itself a "global player", so their official business language is English. My co-workers in Germany, France, China, and Mexico all speak English pretty well.
Posted by: akabu

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/08/07 12:03 AM

http://www.chinapage.com/main2.html
Posted by: Alex

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/08/07 04:59 AM

In Russia businessman are used to say: The optimist will study English, the pessimist - Chinese smile
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/08/07 03:28 PM

That's exactly what I was trying to write in my last post. It is "their" job, to learn English.Even here in the U.S., all who migrate here should learn English. English is the language of commerce, the Crème de la crème... if you will.

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/11/07 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: redflare
I tried to learn Chinese once, it was a lost cause since I can't carry a tune too well. smile
Chinese is very easy in terms of grammar, but very hard in terms of pronunciation (its a tonal language) and also having to learn a lot of characters for reading and writing doesn't help.

Learn Spanish, French and possibly Portuguese.

I find chinese grammar difficult but spoken language is easy. I can pickup cantonese quicker than Mandarin. Mandarin is more difficult.

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/11/07 11:44 PM

I am in IT field. I want to travel the world and expose to different culture.
Posted by: ScottRezaLogan

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/12/07 11:12 PM

Both for Survival and Preparedness, and for Career angles and the like, -I find these following to be the most Crucial and Important;-

In ruffly a "Most Important on Down of an Order".

my own English, -of course.

Arabic.

Chinese.(Mandarin / Mainland).

Russian.

Japanese.

Chinese. (Cantonese and South China).

Urdu. (Pakistani)(a lot like Indya's Hindi). And/or other major Pakistani Language such as Punjabi or Sindhi.

Indonesian. (also Malaysian is very much another Form of this).

Hindi. (along with some Knowledge and Familiarity with its Relatives and Variations).

Farsi / Persian. (Iran and General Vicinity).

Turkish.

Spanish.

German.

Portuguese. (primarily Brazilian).

French.

Swahili.

Italian.

Korean.

Thai.

Vietnamese.

Tagalog / Pilipino. (the Phillipines).

Languages of former Soviet Central Asia. (Kazahk, etc.).

Burmese.

Ukranian.

Major non-Swahili African Language such as Hausa.

Other European Language(s), -Greek, Polish, Swedish, etc.

Georgian, Armenian, etc.

Ethiopian Amharic.

Esperanto or other major Artificial Language.

Hebrew.

Latin. (along with possibly other major such Language of old).

Your *OWN* Personal Language or Codes that you may care to make up.

Important major "Mid-Level" Languages so far Escaping Mention. (Dutch, Quecha, Finnish, Sinhalese-Ceylon, etc.)

I mean No minimization of our Important, "Beloved", and Long Familiar Spanish and French, -(Especially in that the Bulk of the Spanish speaking World is just South of us, -here in the U.S., -and Spanish is personally my most Beloved of Languages, in and of itself. -French also lesserly so as regards Quebec's Proximity, -and all the other Great and Special things of course revolving about French.), -But lets Frankly Face it!, -on the Far More Immeadiate and Grander Scale of things, -Ones like Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, and Russian are Far More Crucially Important! Keep Spanish and French in our Schools, -but *also* bring these Topmost *Others* into the Curriculum! And while at it there, -Lets learn and come to use, our own English!, -at least Decently Well, too! Many a "Graduate" *can't* even read their own Diploma, -Many too are going to be at an Utter, Absolute Loss!, -if they ever have to Face Arabic Script or Chinese Characters, even more familiar Russian Cyrillic, -in a possible sort of Red Dawn someday! Good Ole Spanish and French just have some Far More Important "Stablemates" nowadays! I now "Depart".

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/12/07 11:33 PM

As Ive said earlier, -Spanish is personally my Most Beloved of all Languages! Even over my also Very Beloved and Regarded, -own English!

But at one and the same time, -in being a "Hawk" on Illeagal Immigration, -I Strongly Second your View that our Engish, -Rightly *is* and Always Should *remain* our National, Official, Language! And that all incoming Immigrants, -be they Legal or Not, -come to Learn and Regularly *Use* English in Public. (of course there being nothing wrong with using their own Native Language at Home, or with and among their own Kind).

We *Cannot* Risk our own English Language and All Round American Values and Culture, -just being "Diluted Out"!, -in any Immigrational or Multi-Cultural Process!

Additionally, -Not meaning to have to toot my "own English Horn", -English simply Stands!, -as one of the World's Absolutely Topmost, International, Languages! *No* Undue Braggance here, -but there's just No Getting Around that!

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/13/07 12:30 AM

A few general Helpful Hints, -at coming to Grips with Chinese!

I Understand the Unfamiliarity, even "Difficulty" with some, -regarding Tones.

*But Look and Think at it This Way!*

Lets for a moment pretend that our own English Language, (or French, German, or Russian etc, as the case may be), -is Tonal!
Hypothetically here, -Lets suppose that our word "Box", said Even and Flat, means just that, -a "Box". Now say it with the Tone Rising to its Final Letter "X", -and that could mean "House". A Falling Tone toward that "x", -could mean "Car". And a Mid Dipping Tone, the Lowest part of the Tone being at that Middle Letter "O", could for example mean "Horse". English so here has 4 Tones, -as does Mandarin Chinese. Now to take our actual English word "Horse", -also give it the same 4 Tones, which yields 4 other Definitions and Meanings. (Incidentally one of them cannot be "Horse" itself, -in that that was earlier Defined under one of the Tones of "Box"). *Now How Hard are any of these to Remember or Say!?* Not Really!, -once you put the Concept of Tones on an English Template! You can further make up a totally New Word, -Not even in our own Language, (and perhaps also Not in any other), -"Rork" for instance. Likewise assign it 4 Different Tones and thus also Meanings for other common English Words. Or use an actual French or Spanic
sh word, -doing the same sorts of Tone Assignations with them. And you've Got it! On and On. Tones are Alien, Unfamiliar, and Different! But they're Really *Not* so Hard!!! Once you so Get the Familiarity and Hang of it!....

Characters! All the many Thousands of them! (Actually there's No more than 2,000-to at most 4,000, -that you really need to know! -If we had to know only that many Words in our own Western Languages!, -That would be a Cinch!).

Here with Characters, -its Most Helpful to Know that they're Really Broken Down into Far Fewer Categories! Their Concept of the "Radical" part of the Character, -of which there are only 214!, -has a lot to do with that. You see the same Characters and Character Subparts, -repeating themselves Over and Over! Like the Familiar Letters of our own English Language.

Also, its Helpful to Know that each Complete Character, -represents but One Syllable. Additionally, since China has entered the World's more Modern Age, -2 or 3 complete Chinese Characters stand Side by Side, to form a given Word. More Ancient Chinese always used only One Character, to represent a Meaning or Word. Many of these of course still remain. But still even with more than One Character in a given Word, No "Brand New" Character itself, enters the picture here!

Now tying this Concept of Characters here, -in with the earlier one of Tones, -like with our word "Box", -a given Character itself, -Never Changing in Form in and of itself (except for the small Tone Indicating Marks), -can be *said* in 4 Different Ways! In 4 Different Tones, -in other words.

Chinese is also a Syllable Based Language, -not an Alphabetical one. Though a Romanized "Alphabet" has been devised. Technically the Language *Doesn't* even HAVE an Alphabet! Ignore that for now if that Scares you, -Like with Tones and Characters, -This really *Isn't* nearly so Hard!, -one you "come to Know it a little!". Perhaps it would be Helpful to Picture our own Familiar, Common English Syllables, -imagining our Language Based on that, -the component Letters being only a Subpart. As before with Tones and a Character's Radicals.

As someone else here has already mentioned, -the Grammar itself, -is often Incredibly Simple! Often Far More than with our Own English!

That being so, -there are still some New and Novel Aspects therein, -such as the "Topic-Comment Structure". But thats NO more Difficult, -than in our saying for example in English, -"As for Desert Survival..." (the Topic), "...I am Most Prepared and Knowledgeable". (the Comment). Thats *All* that is!, -and its NO more Difficult, Involved, or "Hard"!, -than that!!! We've got Subjects and Predicates, -They've got Topics and Comments.

And while I of course have Great Respect and Regard for the Chinese Valueing of Great Balance and Beauty, -in the formation of their Characters and Script, -I as a Westerner take the Shortcut of "if it looks like a Triangle with 2 Lines coming out of its Side", -then thats how I Learn, Write, and Remember it! With all Due and Great Respect to Chinese Culture and Language, -This Method I find to be Good Enuff for me! I Can't be engaging in Calligraphic Art! Every time I would have to Write Chinese! For Crying Out Loud!

Theres a few of the Most Helpful all round Highlights. Others of course do Exist and Abound.

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/13/07 12:34 AM

Great that you find Cantonese so much Easier! But talking of Tones, -you may not know that Cantonese has as many as 9 Different Tones! Wheras Mandarin has "only" 4!!!

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/13/07 12:38 AM

Thats another thing! Many of the Others out there in our World Know our own English! While so Few of Us, -Know much Any of *Their's*! Ditto for our Respective Cultures!...We may also someday find ourselves Really Flatfooted!, -without a Linguistic Paddle!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/13/07 12:45 AM

I want to know when the computer guru's are going to make the "Star Trek" Universal Translator, a reality!

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/13/07 12:47 AM

Yeah!, -It was Good that the Gorn and Kirk were at least able to Talk with one another!...
Posted by: mark161

Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? - 04/13/07 02:49 AM

They have it on a limited scale. At a Law Enforcement expo they were showing it off. You speak the phase and it will translate it into the language you choose. It is of course limited to general LE phrases and only a couple of languages right now, but they are working on it.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/13/07 03:57 AM

And accents and speech impediments supposedly mess it up worse than they did voice dictation software a couple years ago.

I think by a universal translator, wildman was talking about a computer system that could assign known values to unknown works, grammer and semantics. Hate to say this in front of my computer, but computers are stupid. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." Until they can find a fully functional telepath and can successfully clone them with their paranormal talents being duplicatable, AND put the brains of these clones into a fishbowl and wire it up to a motherboard, I don't think we'll ever be able to do that. We'll have to use pictoral math, certain tables of constants and the periodic table to start, along with a LOT of play acting.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl - 04/15/07 11:25 PM

From an IT perspective, I would want to learn Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German, Afrikaans, French, Arabic, Russian, and Spanish, in that order or priority.

From a more economical perspective, I would learn Japanese, Arabic, Mandarin, German, Spanish, Korean, Russian, and French, in that order of priority.

From a world traveler perspective, I would learn Spanish, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Arabic, in that order of priority.