just got back from camping

Posted by: aloha

just got back from camping - 03/26/07 04:55 AM

Six families went, six families came back.

We didn't take very many pictures, but (or maybe because) we had a great time. Or I was busy.

I set up and/or assisted in setting up six out of seven tents. Prepared for, lit and tended our fires. Cooked our dinner.

Like I mentioned in another post, the paper like bark from what I thought was a eucalyptus tree made a fantastic tinder bundle. And my lesson from this outing: mango is an awesome firewood. Lesson learned in previous family camping trips: bring an extra tent (small 2 person) and use it as a storage "shed" to keep little critters, up to pig size out of your food and gear dry.

Here is a crude panorama of where we were at.

Just hanging out. Hurry up and get set up so we can start playing. Oh wait, I forget, we can play! The grown ups have to set up camp.

Is the food here?

We had salad, hot dogs (kids just love cooking them on the fire with a stick!), steak done "caveman" style, salmon, rice, s'mores and tea.

The kids had a blast. The got a hike to the lake, run around time, an early evening walk, they used one of the families inflatable mattress as a jumpy toy, looked at stars, got stories from story stations at various tents. Man, I am pooped thinking about all the stuff they did.

[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4320/pictures200703springbrecf9.jpg[/img]

We had a great time. The kids all played til they dropped. Then the adults got to sit around the campfire and relax and talk until we all headed off to dreamland close to midnight.

[img]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4900/pictures200703springbremp0.jpg[/img]

Re: just got back from camping - 03/26/07 06:44 PM

Blast...come on down!!

Nighthiker...don't get jealous, get even. I want to see your pictures too!
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: just got back from camping - 03/26/07 08:52 PM

Fantastic pics aloha. Good to see you got out & about. Wish the weather would hurry up & warm up here, so I can get out!! I too am a little jealous.

Just a little though smile
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 04:27 AM

As old retirees and grandparents, we love the pictures of the little ones having a really good time in the outdoors. We especially love the last two sleeping angels, as we remember the easiest times are those when our "angels" were asleep. Keep the great pix and info coming.

Cheryl, wife of

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 04:30 AM

We have never seen the "store extra duct tape on the sleeve" trick before tho...

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'm going to try to do something about that this next weekend...that is if I can make some progress on my "Honey Do" list. eek

Poor guy,

Don't you know the "honey do" list is never ending? Sometimes you just have to put it aside for a little while to do what you gotta do. Then come back to it with renewed vigor after you are done doing what you gotta do and finish resting up from doing what you did. Or something like that anyway. wink

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
As old retirees and grandparents, we love the pictures of the little ones having a really good time in the outdoors. We especially love the last two sleeping angels, as we remember the easiest times are those when our "angels" were asleep. Keep the great pix and info coming.

Cheryl, wife of

Aloha Cheryl,

Nice to see you online. They are the most peaceful angels when they are sleeping and then they wake up. laugh

Those two are my babies, soon to be six and soon to be three.

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 08:04 AM

oldsoldier,

I have seen your blog and you have nothing to be jealous of. Not even a little.

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 08:23 AM

What you see is part of my daughter's little Halloween custome creation. This past Halloween, she was a hybrid creature from the Kikaida series that she really likes.

She had this guy's arms. He is Kiakida.

This guy's legs.

The bad soldier guy's body. I couldn't find a picture.

And Hakaida's head.

Those old Japanese superheroes of the 70's made pretty good use of tape. They were the forefathers of the Power Rangers and their ilk.

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 02:38 PM

That explains it. But it could be a new form of duct tape storage for folks like us too...
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: just got back from camping - 03/27/07 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
It requires walking a very delicate line and isn't for the fainthearted. I've been refining it for the last 17 years and am now averaging about a 1 in 3 success rate - she's pretty crafty herself, a very worthy adversary.

Whenever I try to get a few things on my Honey-Do list done after work, instead of waiting for the weekend, my dear sweet honey knows what's up...she knows I'm staging some extra credit for future use. Last time, I just got a "ok, are you guys camping Friday and Saturday night, or just one night this time?"

I'm thinking I need to be less predictable? More stealthy?

Re: just got back from camping - 03/29/07 01:23 AM

Isn't the survival forum a more appropriate place than around the campfire when talking about the infamous "honey do" list and ways around it?

wink
Posted by: cedfire

Re: just got back from camping - 03/29/07 06:02 PM

Awesome pictures and it looks like it was a great trip!!

Re: just got back from camping - 03/30/07 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: cedfire
Awesome pictures and it looks like it was a great trip!!

Thanks. It sure beats workin'!