What a way to wake up!

Posted by: ironraven

What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 12:37 PM

Reading the BBC, CNN and FoxNews this morning, I tripped over this and nearly had a heart attack. It's satire, but for some reason, it feels like something that would be recommended.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/21/onion.imagination/index.html

And by thier curly, wooly hair and vacant gaze thou shall know them.
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 01:07 PM

It's already happening, sports with no winners/losers, school classes with no grades. It's the numbing down of America.
Posted by: RayW

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 01:13 PM

I'm glad that had the disclaimer at the begining. Because i would have believed it.

Here is another site,

http://www.allmax.com/MILT/

Posted by: thseng

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 03:39 PM

As the father of five boys, I can attest to their talent for imagining new ways to kill themselves.

Quote:
And all loose sticks left lying in the yard should be carefully labeled 'Not a Sword.'

Reminds me of the warning label on some plastic armor my kids have. "Warning: Toy armor only. Provides no protection in actual battle."

Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 04:17 PM

Some of us in the world of education found this a little too disconcerting, because profession academics have proposed nonsense like this. Sad, but true...

Can I still use the stick to be a "pretend submachine gun" when blasting the imaginary carniverous space aliens?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 07:20 PM

That's the reason why I had to go back and reread the disclaimer, of I would have belived it.

And I guess using the stick in that manner is OK, just so long as you don't use it as a sword. :P
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/27/07 08:22 PM

I prefer to use the whiffle bat at the sword. My brother and I used to take metal garbage can lids (used as shields) and whiffle bats (the swords) and hold "gladitorial games" in our backyard. We did this through our early 20's, which freaked out my wife when she saw it for the first time in 1989.

Why settle for video games when one can draw real blood from a sibling wink
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/28/07 12:52 AM

In most schools, if you point anything at someone and pretend it is a firearm, even your hand and fingers, you can be suspended or expelled for it. Zero tolerence reigns.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What a way to wake up! - 02/28/07 02:16 AM

Obviously, The "Imagination Police" are coming to take me away, Ho Ho, Hee Hee, They're coming to take me away, to the funny farm where life is beautiful with lots of drugs, uh, I mean, sedatives, Ho Ho, Hee Hee!

I do thank God that I am not a child growing up in the present day society.

Some of our "Medical Rocket Scientists" are now stating that Labotomies are a good solution for chronic depression and a few other maladies, when done correctly! This kind of thinking does scare the bejeezus out of me!
Posted by: teacher

Re: What a way to wake up! - 03/03/07 09:35 PM

If he shot off 100 rounds a day he would run out a bit after 27 years.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: What a way to wake up! - 03/04/07 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Some of our "Medical Rocket Scientists" are now stating that Labotomies are a good solution for chronic depression and a few other maladies, when done correctly! This kind of thinking does scare the bejeezus out of me!

AHHHHHHHH come on just think of all the happy people that the goverment can take care of. I mean if you can't raise enough PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. to meet the quota make em.