Ramen noodles safe?

Posted by: picard120

Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 03:38 AM

Has anyone eaten Ramen noodles for snack?

I checked the labels on the noodle package and it contains quite a bit of fat & transfat. I am very concern about transfat in my diet. Is it safe to eat this noodles compare to McDonald food?
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 03:49 AM

Too broad a question.

Yes, they are safer, say, than eating the french fries or a quarter pounder with cheese, depending on the quantity of each (I assume a serving either way in my comparison). They are probably not as good as say a salad, even one from McDonalds, would be. "Quite a bit" is also a relative term.

Taken on its own, transfat is not the penultimate killer the media would have you think. Saturated fat is just as bad in quantity imho. Really what I am looking at is the total content consumed and the time period. If all you ever ate was Ramen noodles, or McDonalds French Fries, or even my tremendous Pemmican, then you are going to have problems.

If you are using it as a foodsource for a backpacking event, or as a survival backup, then I'd say there is no real need for concern. If you are using it as a between meal snack once in a while, then I'd say it is a darned sight better than a candy bar or a bag of chips or cookies or a doughnut. Noodles have a lower GI, which should be easier on you than a big sugar spike from the more traditional snack foods. Yes, fruits and veggies are better for you. I'm not sure a bag of peanuts would be, though.

We've been fed foods containing transfat for years. In moderation I don't consider them any worse than sugar or butter or bacon or biscuits or eggs. I think the hype is over-rated.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 04:06 AM

Most have enough sodium to send my BP off the scale...
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 04:18 AM

Ramen is toxic, as far as I'm concerned.

Suffice it to say that my cholesterol levels 8 years ago, when I ate plenty of trans fats, was way high. Now I eat only real fats (lard, olive oil, canola oil) and it's perfectly fine. I also eat about 10 eggs a week. Ramen and other super-processed foods made me sick. YMMV.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: picard120
Has anyone eaten Ramen noodles for snack?

I checked the labels on the noodle package and it contains quite a bit of fat & transfat. I am very concern about transfat in my diet. Is it safe to eat this noodles compare to McDonald food?

What the heck kind of ramen are you getting? All the nutritional information I could find on various ramens indicate no trans fat (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c224h.html). As for McDonald's, you might want to look more harshly at the fries than at the burgers.

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 04:10 PM

I must admit that we have a few packs of the stuff around, in the "just in case" stash. Been there for a couple of years, same packs. Mainly because it does put something hot into your tummy, and has a great shelf life. After all, what can happen to it over time, the noodles get broken? Big deal, when forced to eat it I always break 'em up before cooking anyway. But they are for sure a "last resort" food for us...
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/22/07 09:58 PM

I hope they're ok, I just had some for lunch! smile
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/23/07 02:24 AM

I sure hope they are safe, it was a major staple of my diet back in college! What else could you buy the 24 pack for 2 dollars!
Posted by: fugitive

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/23/07 03:09 AM

"I must admit that we have a few packs of the stuff around, in the "just in case" stash....and has a great shelf life."

OBG, I used to keep a bunch around for emergencies, but unlike you, I found the shelf life to be quite limited. Within less than a year they take on a bit of an off-taste due to the oil in the noodles going rancid. It gets worse with time. It is still edible, and I didn't get sick from it, but I don't care for the taste.

At first I thought it was just me, but back in the Y2K days I read a forum where many people had the same experience as I did with "survival ramen". Now, I try to eat the stuff within 6 months and toss anything over a year old.

Cheers, TR

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/23/07 04:29 AM

"...I found the shelf life to be quite limited..."

Great, another plan of mine down the tube...
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/23/07 11:07 PM

OBG,

don't worry !
In order to make basic spaghetti, you just need flour, water, salt and a rolling-pin... All things with a good shelf life grin

OTOH, it's true it's better with fresh eggs instead of water... and adding a bit of olive oil (and other various ingredients)could also improve things...

But what are you looking for ? Survival or gastronomy ??
Posted by: Susan

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/24/07 03:12 AM

I use the noodles with other ingredients and toss the foil packet, since all it seems to be is flavored salt.

Sue

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/24/07 05:12 AM

Next you're gonna tell me that the case of C-rats that I have had since the 60's are probably no good anymore, huh??? Stored in the trunk of my car, in the central CA summers...
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/24/07 04:23 PM

Yes, I would avoid eating those.... wink

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/24/07 04:33 PM

You mean I have been carrying this same old P-38 for 39 years for nothing?

Maybe I can sell the rats on e-bay or something...
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/24/07 11:13 PM

No, sir ! I would not dare to say anything like that...
OTOH, "I" won't have to eat them someday .... grin

I just suggested you keep a "do-it-yourself" kit for making noodles. It's easy on the wallet, fun to do and good to eat.
PM me if you need various detailed recipes ....
Posted by: ScottRezaLogan

Re: Ramen noodles safe? - 02/27/07 11:45 PM

Tossing the foil packet runs counter to what we've recently said under "Crazy Salt" (a "Subthread). These can be Saved Up, and used for other "Seasoning Up" purposes. Sure beats trying to eat something as Bland as a peice of Wood!