Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems??

Posted by: gatormba

Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/21/07 09:20 PM

I recently had a friend tell me that while adding Stabil will help fuel to be stored for longer terms it will also cause damage to your vehicle's engine if you use the fuel for that purpose. He said fuel with Stabil added should only be used for generators, etc and not for vehicles. This is the first I have heard about this and normally I would blow it off but the friend that told me this is usually pretty reliable on his information. Anyone out there have any problems or hear about problems using Stabil fuel in vehicles?
Posted by: Black_Wulf

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/21/07 10:01 PM

From what I understand, Stabil can be used in vehicles, however don't use it on a full tank. For example, run the tank dry, mix one gallon per instructions, pour it in, then let the vehicle start up and run a minute with that fuel. Once you take it out of storage, put another gallon of fresh gasoline in, get it to a gas station, then fill the tank. It wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of injector cleaner in as well. You may have to change the fuel filter as well. The reason it could damage the vehicle is because most people use it wrong.

If you run a car with a full tank of the stuff, you will most likely gum up a few sensors, and kill the catalytic converter. However if you keep it to a minimum you shouldn't have any problems. I used that method on my dad's 82 vette before putting it into storage, we pulled it out a year later, loaded the tank with fresh gasoline, and ran a bottle of seafoam through the power brake booster's vac line, smoked for about 10 minutes, then ran fine.
Posted by: morph

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/22/07 01:09 AM

i use it in my motorcycles every winter with no problems.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/22/07 05:41 AM

I have used it on full tanks on two different RV's for the last seven or so years, with no problems at all. Passed CA smog checks every time, ran fine...
Posted by: norad45

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/22/07 03:04 PM

I've used it for years in all manner of vehicles and had no problems. Ask your friend for his source.
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/22/07 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: morph
i use it in my motorcycles every winter with no problems.

Same here
Posted by: MrDrysdale

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/23/07 08:15 PM

I have used it in my spare gas cans but I generally use the gas within a couple of months in my motorcycle and I have not noticed any problems. I want to know how long should I keep gas without having a problem?

Posted by: norad45

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/23/07 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MrDrysdale
I have used it in my spare gas cans but I generally use the gas within a couple of months in my motorcycle and I have not noticed any problems. I want to know how long should I keep gas without having a problem?

I think the instructions say treated gas will stay good for 15 months. I've used treated year old gas with no ill effects that I could see. If you are worried then rotate it every 6 months or so.
Posted by: MrDrysdale

Re: Stabil Causing Vehicle Problems?? - 02/23/07 09:48 PM

Thats basically what I have been doing. I try to keep a 5 gallon safety can filled with 5 gallons at all times. I live in Galvestion County Texas and we evacuated during Hurricane Rita and gas was hard to come by. I will carry gas with me if I ever have to bug-out again.