Mending kit

Posted by: Angel

Mending kit - 11/21/06 03:21 AM

I'm putting together a mending kit for my BOB and was wondering what things you would add. So far I have... a box of pre threaded needles and threader, an assortment of upolstry needles, safety pins, 6 velcro zip ties, 2 large buttons and 3 small buttons, a pair of embroidery scissors, a tube of krazy glue, and an iron on denim patch. I have it in a tri fold nylon wallet with a velcro closure. I have some extra room in it so I was wondering what else I could put in it.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:02 AM

Some plastic cable ties might come in handy. In my larger fix-it kit I have a zipper repair kit, it has enough parts to repair most sizes of zipper. You can get them from Campmor...
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:06 AM

1/2 a hot melt glue stick,

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:07 AM

I have some plastic cable ties in my BOB, but I dont have a zipper repair kit, that's a good idea. Thanks
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:10 AM

If your gear uses them, replacement Fastex buckles, ladderlocks and triglides, and maybe a few Annex or MALICE clips depending on what type of gear you use. A 5 foot or longer length of 1" flat or tubular webbing.

Regular zipties. (The velcro ones have a bad habit of getting undone behind desks in my experince, not sure I trust them in the field)

An awl needle and a small holder (Radio Shack has a great little precision screw driver set that has a hollow handle to hold the bits- I put an awl needle in the handle and all the driver bits still fit. Also a good place for glasses screws if you need them, or a small drill bit that you know fits into the chuck.)

I'm assuming you already have wire and duct tape.

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:11 AM

I think I have some of the real small glue sticks so I'll add that too.

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 04:20 AM

I have a plastic box about the size of a cigar box that I have all kinds of tools in. And in my upolstry needles I have an awl needle and various curved needles.
Posted by: Pete_Kenney

Re: Mending kit - 11/21/06 05:23 PM

I’ve found the rivet-type button as used to close the waist of blue jeans to be handy. It’s just slightly big for use on khaki pants but will work. Does anyone make smaller rivet-type buttons?

As to an awl, I’m looking for something like a brass bead to epoxy or J-B Weld an awl needle into (after roughing up the chrome plating of the needle). This should make a small, kit-sized awl with handle.