Kayaking

Posted by: Anonymous

Kayaking - 08/18/03 06:53 AM

After reading the post below about a kayaking firearm. I thought I would ask if anyone had any suggestions on a kayak, I have been wanting to get into kayaking for a while.

What I want is the perfect kayak that is light stable and turns well, before anyone tells me I know I will have to compromise there is no perfect. I want it for still water exploring and fishing, mainly in the swamps of south GA. I need something with enough capacity to carry enough gear for an overnight trip and I am not interested in a sit on top as I will use it in the winter also and want to stay dry. I was thinking the about the old town castine, anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance, Chris
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Kayaking - 08/18/03 11:19 AM

You have two choices: get a Dagger Crossover or Dagger Blackwater 12.5.

I owned an ocean kayak (Perception Eclipse) for three years. Great boat but long (17 feet) and on the heavy side. It needed a rudder to help turns but cargo capacity was more than enough, Frequently I found myself carrying 4 sleeping bags, 2 tents, 2 pads, grill, food, stove and backpack. It wasn’t the most stable boat. It was a great boat for lakes, rivers and of course, ocean but in the rapids (even small ones) it wasn’t really that good.

My roommate bought a Blackwater. It only had rear hatch but it could have taken a lot of gear. It is an ocean worthy kayak, tracks well and it is easy to turn. It will handle class II rapids.

I wanted a little bit stronger boat and after selling my ocean kayak I settled down on the Crossover. This boat will not take as much gear as Blackwater but it can handle up to class III rapids. It has a small divider build into front cockpit that is a bit uncomfortable at first but you can get used to it. That divider made out of compressed foam is there to prevent deck from collapsing on you in case of pinning. This divider also prevents you from stuffing gear up your kayaks front. I took my crossover into open ocean and it performed great. I also paddled it on lakes and Delaware river during high and low season: it handles very well. You may need to work on the boat a bit when you get it. You will need to re-seal all the gaps between compartment and cockpit. Maybe you will need a new seat since one it comes with after day of paddling can be a bit uncomfortable. Typical packing list for this boat is: pad, sleeping bag, 2 person tent, small backpack, msr stove with two fuel bottles and cooking set. I have left over enough space for food for about 7 days. Now above packing list may fill up the volume capacity of the boat but it is nowhere near the weight capacity. With careful planning you can take a lot of stuff with you.

Both Blackwater and Crossover are stable, lightweight and roomy. It’s a very close call between these two. Advantage of the Blackwater is that it can take more cargo and has a little bit more convenient skeg construction (drop in). Crossover is studier, takes less cargo and skeg is screw in. If you have more questions shoot, I am more than happy to answer them.

Matt Jachyra
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kayaking - 08/18/03 01:27 PM

Polak,
Man thanks that was a killer response, excactly what I was looking for. Dagger is going to get some business from me, I have a canoe now and was looking for something I could handle better by myself. A kayak will be perfect for getting me into the really good hunting and fishing spots.