Past the Test of Time

Posted by: Anonymous

Past the Test of Time - 07/05/03 03:28 AM

Another idea that seems to have had its day and then disappeared is the Shepherds Crook. Waddya think- How about a shortened version- or one with about 50 feet of paracord around it at a handle height?

I am making a prototype of my new staff from a hollow handle of a cheap survival knife expoxyed and pinned to my staff as a handle and then filled with gear- and I can use the thread in the cap to add stuff like a gig, spear, etc. by simply making them threaded to fit.

Another cheap and useful mod to a paracord wrap handle is to place a few split rings - like used for keychains- thru the loops- then they can be used as attachment points for a carabiner - I make mine real modular by placing my spare compass- whistle, lighter, pepper spray, mag block, etc on split rings that I slide over the carabiner-- coupla rubber bands to hold everything close to the stick and voila!

Or a coupla strong rubber bands and i can attach my magellan 330 to my stick- using the wrist band to attach to a split ring for security.

Re: Past the Test of Time - 07/05/03 03:53 AM

try this.

Re: Past the Test of Time - 07/05/03 12:14 PM

Personally, I love RR's staff. There have been some comments on other forums that bamboo may split or break
under stress and form a nice pungi stick when you are trying to use it to hold your body weight in a decent or when trying to break a fall.

My original inspiration is the Crawford. Machined steel -- I will try to get a link. It only runs $200 or so, but I can make my version for under $20.

http://www.crawfordknives.com/html/survivalstaff.html
RR wraps some bags under his paracord.
I keep my trash bags in a pocket, pouch or fanny pak.

I use the idea of carrying stuff on my dogtag chain (split rings again)--A la his survival necklace- but the rescue saw is not very good. A small hatchet is so much better for firewood gathering and pole making. And I like the altoid tin full of goodies so much better, that I will not abandon it.

The idea is to have a lighter,few meds (aspriin, ibuprofen, benadryl and caffeine), compass, knife and ID in case I cannot speak for myself - with me even in a fall where I may or may not have any of my pack gear--- my necklace, fanny pack and belt are going with me- if I have my pouch, I have a maxi kit.. When I leave camp for a hike or whatever, I tend to carry as little as possible-That is why I like the necklace , pocket and belt loadout.

The fannypck is on Alice clips and often gets taken off because it is uncomfortable to sit or lay down. - same for the belt with canteen and knife, etc-- so having it a mini around your neck and stuff in your pockets makes for good practice.