Weird Question

Posted by: Chisel

Weird Question - 09/23/23 04:33 PM

OK, I was reading a forum and they mentioned pregnant women due to give birth and roads to the hospitals are congested. So, I remembered a situation when a country ( possibly Australia , can't remember for sure) that had a planned international sport occasion (can't remember what it was, world cup or whatever) issued a suggestion to its citizens to be careful about family planning : meaning NOT plan for pregnancy the next weeks because birth will be due in the worst time when all roads are jammed

I don't know if anyone remembers that country or the occasion or year
Posted by: Ren

Re: Weird Question - 09/23/23 11:00 PM

Australia hosted in the Olympics in 2000? About the biggest event that would cause disruption, but no idea if the warning was for that.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Weird Question - 09/24/23 03:31 AM

Thanks Ren,

You are right. Wikipedia says Australia hosted the Olympics in 1956 and 2000. They will host them again in 2032

About the warning, yes they issued the warning for that. I have forgotten the country and occasion, but remember the warning because it was related to planning and preparedness.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Weird Question - 09/25/23 02:56 AM

I would be interested in the stats arising from that warning. Was it effective? Hold the Barry White, and another cold shower for the next two months?

This still plays on classic rock radio up here. Awesome song:

"I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me?
Because I come from the land of plenty!
And he said Oh!, do you come from the Land Down Under? ..."

grin grin grin