Battery corrosion

Posted by: Mark_R

Battery corrosion - 07/26/22 06:30 PM

I just lost another flashlight to battery leakage and corrosion. I've noticed it's more common in metal battery compartments than in plastic, but what about battery chemistry? Is there one type that's less susceptible (alkaline, lithium primaries, silver oxide, etc) than the others to in device leakage and corrosion?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Battery corrosion - 07/26/22 07:11 PM

Don't use alkaline batteries. They will corrode, as you have found out. I use lithium primaries and rechargeables these days, No more leaking batteries and ruined gear.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Battery corrosion - 07/26/22 07:13 PM

Way cheaper, as well......
Posted by: adam2

Re: Battery corrosion - 07/26/22 07:20 PM

Or if you must use alkaline batteries, store these outside of the flashlight or other equipment.
Possibly keep ONE flashlight about your person or ready for instant use and fitted with batteries.
Keep reserve flashlights EMPTY but with plenty of batteries nearby.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Battery corrosion - 07/26/22 10:52 PM

Alkalines are just evil destroyers of good gear. I no longer buy them.

I run low-self-discharge NiMHs in everything now. I can't recall having one leak.

I do use super heavy duty batteries sometimes, especially in older gear that prefers 1.5V rather than the 1.2V of NiMHs. Before LED lights, they were sort of a joke, but now they have a respectable run time. I find that it's rare to have one leak.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Battery corrosion - 07/27/22 03:25 AM

I use lithiums in lights as a rule and in things that will be stored, but I'm slowly warming up to rechargeables.