Any You tube channel recommendations ?

Posted by: Chisel

Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/26/21 05:06 PM

I hope this is not against forum rules.
Deputies please advice.
-----------------------------------------------

I find (City Prepping) channel on You Tube a good one because it is calm and reasonable. No scare mongering and no big drama. I tried to find additional U-Tube channels that would give different ideas for urban (civil), economic, well being in hard times and readiness for crises like the pandemic or supply chain. However, some are not so calm or reasonable as I would like for a city guy over 65, who just wants to save family from hard times.

Can you suggest me any additional channels that are so calm they are almost sleepy. LOL . You know what I mean. No drama , no bunkers, no Tarzans or Rambos.

Thanks
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/27/21 02:12 AM

This question is entirely appropriate for Around The Campfire. Rock on.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/27/21 03:05 AM

Drop forged survival. Lots of prepping vids without being completely bonkers.
Qjs
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/27/21 04:32 AM

I really like Ranger Survival and Field Craft. He's active duty military with SERE training and civilian classes under his belt. It's not crazy stuff, just really practical and proven material.

There's tons of stuff I watch on YT but not a ton of survival content as there's only a few I feel are worth watching. Far North Bushcraft is great as well.

Not Only Bikes is a great video on urban planning and creating livable spaces. It's eye opening but really related to "preparedness" directly.

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/27/21 10:37 AM

Yes, I like Far North Bushcraft. His voice is soothing and calming
And his introduction (Hello my name is Lonnie and My wife is Connie.)

LOL. He didn't only get a wife that matches his bushcraft interest, but even matching his name.

Thanks everyone.
I hope there are more suggestions.
I am in my sixities, retired, but love hard work around the house.
Any U-Tube channel that helps make our family world safer and more sustainable is very welcome.

By the way, any channels for gardening on the roof is also welcome.
I found one that belongs to an Egyptian family. You may not understand their language, but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM9VuB2-AJGW9d0P5TdGulw

The scope of this channel is to grow your food the cheapest possible way. They grow all sorts of vegetables, and raise a few birds and rabbits. The guy has a simple (basic) workbench and utilizes scrap wood for most of his work. The lady cooks and one of their boys helps now and then.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/27/21 03:28 PM

One of my favorite YT channels is OH8STN Ham Radio also known as Survivaltech Nord. Julian is my spirit animal for lightweight field communications. If you’re not into ham radio you probably won’t enjoy it, but Julian is practical, direct, and drama-free.

For concealed carriers looking for excellent analyses of critical incidents, Active Self Protection is the gold standard YT channel for that, IMO. Not quite sleepy, but crisp, concise and all about avoiding trouble wherever possible.

The Outdoor Gear Review is one of my favorite hiking/camping channels.

I bought a new generator recently and probably spent many hours watching videos about my specific one and how to fix various maladies it may develop. No particular channel to recommend but a deep dive into this proved to be both educational and enjoyable for me.

Yesterday I found a YT video on troubleshooting problems with an in-fridge water dispenser, and was able to fix ours without spending a dime or waiting for a tech to come out under warranty (one of the kids accidentally set the ‘fridge too cold and the water filter froze up).
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/28/21 01:14 AM

This goes more into the category of prepping for life, but I enjoy learning about law through Legal Eagle. Recently he covered a notorious self-defense case from a purely legal perspective, so some of his content is definitely of interest to us.

I also like Bosnian Bill and the Lock Picking Lawyer on matters of security.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 11/28/21 02:34 PM

Rekieta Law followed that notorious case live with a panel of lawyers. Also went through the more recent TX incident. Though he's not what you'd call family friendly.

Bosnian Bill has stepped away from making videos, think had a family member dealing with a health issue, so spent time taking care of grand kids.

Just listened to a keynote from LPL delivered earlier this month, about the sad state of physical locks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0GXWQDk0Q

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/10/22 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone

Same question ... about novels this time.

Can you please suggest me a few novels that are PG-Rated, no bunkers, no Rambos and no zombies.
Just ordinary folks surviving hard times.

Thanks
Posted by: Blast

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/10/22 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Thanks everyone

Same question ... about novels this time.

Can you please suggest me a few novels that are PG-Rated, no bunkers, no Rambos and no zombies.
Just ordinary folks surviving hard times.

Thanks

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - small town in Florida survives a nuclear war

One Second After by William R. Forstchen - small college town survives after effects of EMP attack. Note: skip the two sequels.

Light's Out by David Crawford aka HalfFast - another EMP novel.
-Blast

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/11/22 08:28 AM

Much appreciated
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/15/22 09:05 PM

Warday by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka.
I t is a fictional account of the authors travelling across the U.S. five years after a limited nuclear attack in order to assess how the nation has changed after the war.

Rule number 1:
Don't go and get the kids from school. You'll just die because you are in the open and so will they, if you picked them up and weren't home before the missile hit your city.

qjs
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/16/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
. . .

Can you suggest me any additional channels that are so calm they are almost sleepy. LOL . You know what I mean. No drama , no bunkers, no Tarzans or Rambos.

Thanks

Take a short break from prepping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58WR9uHGXnM

I have to admit; I am pixelated by her voice and smile.

Re: Any You tube channel recommendations ? - 03/16/22 04:30 PM

Thanks , but I am hopelessly fixated on the subject of family safety and wellbeing.

At 65+ years old, I have no other goal in life but make the small world of my family as safe and secure as I can.