Swamp prep

Posted by: teacher

Swamp prep - 09/20/21 07:34 PM

what unique items are needed to a 10 day camping trip in a swampy area?
Think Everglades...
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Swamp prep - 09/20/21 11:00 PM

Having been in the everglades, I know of two things you need. You will need sun protection since you will not have shade, and you also need insect protection. Also, it's very humid so keep that in mind as well.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Swamp prep - 09/20/21 11:25 PM

have plans to keep your feet as dry as possible... TEVA style sandals to allow your feet to dry around camp... nylon shorts, polypropylene or nylon cape back flats fishing shirt... wide brimmed screened upper hat....
Posted by: Ren

Re: Swamp prep - 09/21/21 10:34 AM

The old British army trick of keeping your feet in good shape, is to take a small waterproof bag that you can get a foot into, and fill it with some talcum powder.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Swamp prep - 10/02/21 01:55 PM

I'll echo everything above and add an umbrella for both the quick afternoon showers, and for when the sun beats down.

Are you walking or canoe/kayaking?
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Swamp prep - 10/03/21 03:35 AM

Haven't been to the Everglades, but I know the insects in the region. They laugh in the face of bug repellent. I'd do DEET, long sleeves, and a net covering exposed parts. Treat all your clothing with insect repellent (better than nothing). Make sure there is some space between the net and your skin. Seal all other parts. If there is a hole, a bug will crawl in there.

Try some sort of prayer. There is a reason that one of the proposed state flags of Mississippi is a big mosquito.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Swamp prep - 10/03/21 11:33 PM

"What unique items are needed to a 10 day camping trip in a swampy area?
Think Everglades..."

Reservations somewhere else. I've been in the Glades at a 'low' point in the mosquito season.......there are FAR easier ways to donate blood.....
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Swamp prep - 10/04/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: CJK
I've been in the Glades at a 'low' point in the mosquito season.......there are FAR easier ways to donate blood.....

There was a reason there was such a high turnover rate when the highway between Tampa and Miami was built. The mosquitoes in the everglades were so bad that men quit after one day.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Swamp prep - 10/11/21 06:38 AM

I was there after hurricane Andrew came through. I think the Everglades mosquitos consider DEET seasoning. Maybe Permanon repellent will work, but best to nuke it from orbit.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Swamp prep - 10/11/21 02:51 PM

Long sleeves tucked into gloves, long pants tucked into boots, big floppy brimmed hat with a headnet.