Well, it's been quite a week!

Posted by: Phaedrus

Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 06:40 AM

Monday was not a great day for me! I woke up an hour early with a pain in the ear and a really dry right eye but kind of brushed it off and headed to work. As the day wore I noticed that the right side of my face was pretty much paralyzed. eek I can close my right eye but only if I also closed my left. Hmmm, that's not quite right I thought. Worked the whole day like that (maybe not my brightest move) and hit Urgent Care on the way home. They don't have the diagnostics and refer me to the ER. Great, there goes the rest of my night. At any rate, after an MRI and blood workup to rule out a stroke or tumor it seems to be classic case of Bell's Palsy. In the grand scheme of things I guess that beats a stroke or tumor but I'm not looking forward to steroids and anti-virals. The one plus is that at least it's not contagious/communicable. Once I get my scrips filled I'll be able to work, probably taking it a little bit easier for a couple weeks. And a joyful thought; the doctor said I might have to tape my danged eye shut when I sleep so I don't dry out my cornea and go blind. shocked But aside from he says nothing to worry about.

Kind of a bummer but I'm relieved it wasn't something worse! smile
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Bell's Palsy.

Perhaps that is the same I suffered when I was 15. One evening my parent noticed that my face did not look normal. Half of it was paralyzed.
Stayed at the hospital for a week and got mild electric shock treatment to my face muscles. And then recovered and got home.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 03:41 PM

Yikes, that's a scare. Glad you're going to be okay.

Posted by: Blast

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 04:24 PM

Damn, sorry to hear this.
-Blast
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 04:32 PM

Glad you dodged the bullet. Hang in there!

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 04:54 PM

Yeah, it's more annoying that dangerous. I'm tired and uncomfortable and bracing myself for potentially minor side effects from the steroids and antiviral drugs. With any luck it will pass soon, or at least start improving a good bit once I'm done with the course of meds.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 08:04 PM

Here in the Eastern US, Bells Palsy seems to now be most commonly due to Lyme Disease, which can be acquired without a tick bite ever having been noticed. If you haven't been checked for that, would encourage asking for that to be done.

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 08:45 PM

Yikes! Is there a specific test I should request? The ER did draw blood and runs a bunch tests but would that be something they would check without being asked?

I'm in SW Montana if that affects anything. I don't see much for ticks in my area but that's not really scientific or anything.
Posted by: DaveL

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 10:04 PM

Ticks are where you find them, get tested. MTC good luck
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 10:30 PM

Lyme IgG/IgM is the standard screening test.

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/12/20 10:50 PM

I'll have to check into it!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/13/20 04:50 PM

I'm glad it wasn't anything worse. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/17/20 02:00 AM

Well, that sucks. FWIW, everyonme I know that's been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy has done fine with treatment.

Re: Well, it's been quite a week! - 11/17/20 02:46 AM

It's been more annoyance than menace but I'll be glad when I get it behind me. eek