Hey, TonyE, help me with rope!

Posted by: Bingley

Hey, TonyE, help me with rope! - 10/31/20 10:38 PM

Can I call on the resident expert to help me with a rope question. I'm a complete novice...

I made an eye splice, and I whipped the splice using the method I found in a Youtube video -- probably the easiest method. I swung the rope energetically for 10 minutes like it's a jump rope, gripping it by the eye splice. The whipping came loose. I realize this is an elementary question for a master like you, but can you recommend a more secure method for whipping the rope?
Posted by: KenK

Re: Hey, TonyE, help me with rope! - 11/01/20 12:47 AM

I'm guessing that the first question will be what kind of rope it is. Material? Construction?
Posted by: TonyE

Re: Hey, TonyE, help me with rope! - 11/01/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Can I call on the resident expert to help me with a rope question. I'm a complete novice...

I made an eye splice, and I whipped the splice using the method I found in a Youtube video -- probably the easiest method. I swung the rope energetically for 10 minutes like it's a jump rope, gripping it by the eye splice. The whipping came loose. I realize this is an elementary question for a master like you, but can you recommend a more secure method for whipping the rope?

It is best to use a non-slippery material for the whipping. If the "common whipping" failed google "sailmakers whipping" for a more secure method.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Hey, TonyE, help me with rope! - 11/01/20 02:43 PM

Thanks for your responses, Tony & Ken.

I'm using a 1/4" hemp rope, and I'm using a hemp twine to do the whipping.

If it helps, I can upload an image. But it seems like the image hosting services I've used before no longer work for free. Can anyone suggest a solution?
Posted by: TonyE

Re: Hey, TonyE, help me with rope! - 11/01/20 03:52 PM

The whipping must be a tight as possible. This is easy to do with the
west country whipping

Make sure you tie the overhand knot on both sides of the rope. This is mentioned in the text but only the first one is shown