Anybody planting a garden?

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Anybody planting a garden? - 03/26/20 12:11 AM

True confession time: DW and I are compulsive gardeners. We do it for vastly superior food, aesthetic beauty, and to create wildlife habitat. I grew up with it; it's as natural to me as the change of the seasons.

We're in Zone 3b. That means there are still snowbanks, and the frost line is approximately six feet deep. But we're already making plans, and working in various corners of the yard in preparation. I guess prairie gardeners are a tenacious lot.

So, anybody else planting a garden? Perhaps for the first time? Container gardening? Putting in a little extra as a hedge against the difficulties of 2020?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 03/26/20 12:58 PM

Just getting started. our mainstay is an avocado tree, with supplemental veggies, which taste delicious freshly picked. Will expand our efforts.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 03/26/20 01:58 PM

Mrs. Magnet is a decent gardener.

Me on the other hand, I once killed a plastic fern.

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/03/20 09:51 PM

I'm hearing reports that seed companies (especially specialty, heirloom producers) are swamped with seed orders.

I assume this is because of the economic downturn. The same thing happened in 2008.

If there's something specific you want to plant, it may be prudent to grab seeds sooner rather than later.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/03/20 11:16 PM

I'm helping Mom plant Boston ferns.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/03/20 11:23 PM

Fortunately the avocado and orange tree were planted some years ago. couple of tomato plants are producing. Our broccoli just finished and we will renew that crop - I never knew broc could taste that good

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/04/20 12:43 AM

I'm envious! Right now I'll I'm growing is snowbanks and a pandemic goatee. But all in good time!

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/04/20 02:08 AM

Looking forward to your wheat...
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/05/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I'm hearing reports that seed companies (especially specialty, heirloom producers) are swamped with seed orders.

I assume this is because of the economic downturn. The same thing happened in 2008.

If there's something specific you want to plant, it may be prudent to grab seeds sooner rather than later.

Had to make an visit to the local hardware store today for some emergency plumbing parts. While there, I cruised by the seed collection and for this time of year, it was slim pickings. Still managed to grab a few more packs of beans, peas, zucchini, radishes and carrots. Talked briefly (from a distance) with a knowledgeable employee and they are not expecting any more seeds in for months, if not all for this year. Luckily I had stocked up on a lot of seeds in late Feb and so the seeds purchased today are just a bonus.

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/05/20 09:49 PM

McKenzie Seeds, an excellent seed company out of Brandon Man., reports that their turnaround time is now 5-7 days for online orders, due to volume. It used to be same-day. They still have lots of stock though.

As I write this, I see fresh snow coming down and snowbanks over my garden. But we already have a list of additional seeds we need, and this will be filled in the next few days. When the weather turns warm, everybody will have the same idea.

It looks like local greenhouses will offer a curbside pickup program. This is good: we prefer to buy tomato plants that are 4' tall and already bearing green fruit, because our frost-free season is so short.

In addition to our own garden, our close family will be substantially expanding the garden capacity on an undeveloped property we have access to. Seed has already been purchased. If the downturn drags out, this will be for our use. More likely, the surplus will support extended family and the local food bank, which in the last two weeks saw its demand quadruple. People who were hanging by a thread are in freefall now.

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/06/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
McKenzie Seeds, an excellent seed company out of Brandon Man., reports that their turnaround time is now 5-7 days for online orders, due to volume. It used to be same-day. They still have lots of stock though.

Thanks Doug. I did not know that Mckenzie sells their seeds online. We are good for this growing season, so will keep this in mind for next year's seeds.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/08/20 08:28 PM

Dusted off the AeroGarden (spelling?) and put in some Romaine pods only a few weeks ago. Already started harvesting some for tossing on the sandwich! Not quite the survival garden one would hope for but....... lol

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/24/20 01:19 AM

Okay, frost is gone in a few micro-climates. Planting snap peas this weekend. Mmmm, peas. A few potatoes in a half barrels too, since I can yoink them indoors in case of frost.

No surprise, the seeds in local stores are suddenly picked over. I topped up our stash three weeks ago, in a spring snow squall, when nobody else was thinking about gardens.

Hope we can get well-started tomatoes, peppers, etc. from our local greenhouse (online purchase, curbside pickup). Our growing season (3b) is ridiculously short. Usually we wouldn't buy for a few more weeks, but we have the means to protect them from frost as they harden off. Mmmm, real tomatoes. Not those horrible painted baseballs they sell in the stores.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/28/20 01:55 AM

I am so bad with gardening, I can be labeled The Ungardener !!
LOL.

Two weeks ago, I saw a small tomato tree growing naturally outside our home. It had 4 tomatoes already. Two of them were beautiful red. I dug it out and replanted it in a pot within our garden. Now, the tree is almost dead. I wish I had left it where it was !!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/28/20 01:35 PM

I can kill any plant. Mrs. Magnet's request for gardening contributions generally revolve around being her tool crib monkey (because she never puts my tools away in the right place, if at all).
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/28/20 04:20 PM

This is a twist. From what I hear, it is usually the man who doesn't remember where he put his tools.

I always know where my tools are. Then again, it's easy for me since I have so few.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Anybody planting a garden? - 04/28/20 09:14 PM

not to endorse this product, but I used the idea with a couple of 5gal buckets to see how it would work....my intent was to harvest beans with which to produce bean sprouts to serve as a green vegetable if supply became short... also hot peppers, onions and garlic for spice as most of my stored staples were rather bland carbohydrates

https://earthbox.com/