Latest knife purchase...

Posted by: Russ

Latest knife purchase... - 02/10/20 04:14 PM

My latest folding knife purchase is a ”Folding Titanium Craft Scalpel Knife”....

The “knife” is small, weighs 1 ounce and starts out razor sharp. When a blade gets dullish, I s’pose you could try touching up the edge, but #24 scalpel blades are common and available in carbon steel or stainless. Blade swaps are fairly straight forward, the blade’s spring-steel attribute holds it firmly in place. All-in-all I like it; easy way to carry an EDC scalpel in your pocket.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/10/20 09:34 PM

I saw that and thought about it. Are you carrying it in place of a larger knife, or as an adjunct?

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/11/20 12:44 AM

For now it’s traveling in a little pocket pouch with other useful items:
cash, ID, a 25mm Domed Sapphire Lens Magnifier... It’s in addition to an EDC folder that’s a bit more robust.

Posted by: KenK

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/11/20 02:07 PM

Scalpels are crazy sharp when new, but they'll dull VERY quickly if used on anything beyond flesh and fleshy vegetation.

Even more of a concern to me, the narrow sides of the blade's slot crack pretty easily, making the blade almost unusable with the handle.

Make sure you test it a bit before trusting it.

If you want a disposable blade I'd trust a utility blade much more than a scalpel blade.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/11/20 04:18 PM

My approach has been to save the small pen blade on my Swiss Army Knife, Handyman model, exclusively for skin procedures, such as splinter removal. When necessary, I've used to blade to divide the skin over a deeply buried splinter to free up the splinter for extraction with either the included pliers or tweezers. This small blade has been sharp enough; I think I've sharpened it twice in 20 years of very rare use.

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/11/20 05:37 PM

That’s a good recommendation, the small blade on my SAK is very rarely used and is very sharp — they’re also very easy to resharpen. Having said that, my normal carry is a locking folder (Benchmade Bugout today), an SAK (either a Spartan or a Climber) and now the folding scalpel. I may wrap the scalpel in a small piece of plastic wrap to keep it cleaner so that if I need to use it on skin it starts out cleaner than either of the other two knives. Just a thought, haven’t done it.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Latest knife purchase... - 02/12/20 10:54 AM

Seems to me a small Opinel could be more sensible. Their carbon steel blades can be sharpened to be sharp as a scalpel.
Opinel no 5: https://media.knivesandtools.com/Exact1200x800/43407/op001072$07-opinel-op001072-07.jpg