What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 01:27 AM

To see what would happen, I Googled my name, in quotes, and this is one of the images that have popped up:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...B0aOs_-Tg&s

It's an image that CANOEDOGS posted in 2013, but, according to him, he removed it. Even if you delete an image from the Internet, it remains on the Internet.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 03:59 AM

Yep, if you post something you can count on it being out there forever.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 05:07 AM

Of course it is permanent. This is not news.

Curious timing, though: I've been contemplating a career shift, and one of the interview topics would surely be my public/social media profile. I don't have one, on purpose. But if pressed, I would not hesitate to have them survey my posts on this forum. WYSIWYG, and I'm quite comfortable with that.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 08:12 AM

Google does not give everyone the same result even if you google the same frase.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 06:44 PM

I’m pretty sure my employer would direct me to stop posting publicly if it came out who “chaosmagnet” is. I work in cybersecurity and I don’t do anything “secret squirrel” but our social media policy is pretty strict. I do have an unrelated Facebook account that I keep quite “clean,” used mostly for pictures of family and friends.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 07:32 PM

I don't work in cybersecurity; like you and many other ETS members, I do not use my full name. I only use my first and middle names.

Dad named me after the French Christmas carol, "Un Flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle." However, he spelled my name with a single N instead of a double N.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 08:28 PM

A dedicated sleuth with a lot of time on his or her hands could probably figure out my secret identity given time! I've got a forum presence going back around 20 years, most of with one or two user names (and one is my given name!). But I mostly don't post much that's controversial and if anyone has the ambition to "out" it's not a big deal. wink
Posted by: Herman30

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/19/20 09:24 PM

original car names

That´s me behind the stove.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: What Happens on the Internet Stays on the Internet - 01/22/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
To see what would happen, I Googled my name, in quotes, and this is one of the images that have popped up:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...B0aOs_-Tg&s

It's an image that CANOEDOGS posted in 2013, but, according to him, he removed it. Even if you delete an image from the Internet, it remains on the Internet.

Jeanette Isabelle

I pictured you with smaller ears.