New stab proof knives should help with safety

Posted by: clearwater

New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/28/19 06:36 PM

Like the sailing ships of old which required sailors to knock the tips off their knives, here is a safety feature designed to stop knife violence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09...d-combat-knife/
Posted by: Herman30

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/28/19 07:39 PM

But pointless knives are still possible to slash with.
With a pointless knife it is impossible to dice onions properly.
Posted by: haertig

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 01:25 AM

How silly. That's not going to stop violence in any way. I feel sorry for people that believe it will.

On the other hand, I might buy such a knife for my own personal use. Not as my main knife, but as a specialized knife for certain tasks (like cutting bread). I certainly wouldn't buy it for it's violence-stopping properties, which would be nil.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 01:58 AM

I’m sure that a Miyabi Evolution Santoku would be perfectly safe...

It has no point so it’s obviously only good for vegetables wink They cut onions just fine cool

(Note: from what I gather, the FC61 steel used by Miyabi is a Sandvik product which is essentially identical to Bohler’s AEB-L. IME it holds a wicked edge.)
Posted by: haertig

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
It has no point...

It has quite the point. Are we looking at the same picture?
Posted by: Russ

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 04:06 AM

LOL — Okay, less pointy than a good Chefs knife.

The Miyabi Evolution Nakiri Knife otoh is way less pointy.

Point being, those knives cut with their edge and whatever point they retain is secondary.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 04:24 AM

I weep for the people of England if this is what they've been reduced to. Pity they don't have an analog to KnifeRights.org across the pond (note- I realize they have nothing akin to our 2nd Amendment).

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 06:59 AM

There is no way they are going to stop violence. It will allways excist as long as there are people who wish to use violence. If a total ban on all knives would come then criminals start making their own. It´s not that hard to take a piece of metal and make a rudimentf stabbing tool out of it. A normal screwdriver will suffice with the point sharpened with a file.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 07:09 AM

Stab proofing is fairly old:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florett#/media/Datei:Florett.jpg
Getting hit while not wearing proper armour will still cause considerable blunt force injuries. Of course criminals will refrain from taking the protection off or even reshape the tip.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 07:39 AM

You do not need to sharpen the point. With some force and momentum the point will penetrate deeply. The wound is nastier though. I have seen such wounds caused in workplace accindents where people slipped with screwdriver and stabbed themselves.
Potential stabbing tools are sold in almost all hardware stores. If you do not want to go for expensive tools, you can buy 9" nails by the pound.
I have seen a documetary about a town in Scotland where they tackled knife crimes with a totally different approach. They installed a program to give the youth a better perspective by educating them and help them find a job. The documentary said that they actually were successful. They may be onto something.
The British have my pity. I hope that does not spill over to continental Europe.

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x

The British have my pity. I hope that does not spill over to continental Europe.

Amen to that. What a silly pancy country Britain has become. Once it was a proud empire that ruled half the world.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 12:39 PM

A lot of good points have been made in this discussion....
Posted by: nursemike

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/29/19 01:48 PM

Similar evolution with chainsaws, probably not related to interpersonal violence...tho maybe the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie series was involved.

Chainsaws can kick back if used as a stabbing instrument, in a plunge cut. So regulations developed, and tip guards were added, along with a blade brake lever near the top handle. Osha requirements include hardhats with eye. The current tools are fool proof.

They are not, however, idiot-resistant. People still hurt themselves with them. Eventually the mother-state will require registration and licensing for transfer, possession and operation of chainsaws.

And maybe they will be right. Maybe climbing destinations like Everest and Half Dome should tightly reguwlated and engineered to protect the folks who go there. Maybe the world should resemble a McDonalds Playland: fun, but safe. Until the bullies get there.
Posted by: DaveL

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/30/19 01:04 AM

I hope this is satire Mike
Posted by: nursemike

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/30/19 12:18 PM

Hope so, too,Dave. You make a joke these days, and it rapidly becomes policy.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/30/19 05:24 PM

The workers for the utilities company that come around in the back yards (without knocking) to install and check meters often carry very large screwdrivers visible in an outside pocket. Also dog biscuits. An foot long + screwdriver looks pretty formidable.
Posted by: Ren

Re: New stab proof knives should help with safety - 09/30/19 10:23 PM

Just a marketing gimmick tbh.
Here's a previous one https://www.newpointknives.co.uk

Gone through at least 3 times over past few decades.

And then stuff like this happening... and walking free.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr...t-a8656571.html