New Knife

Posted by: chaosmagnet

New Knife - 09/21/19 09:38 PM

Doug's RSK® MK1-G2 is now being made with 20CV steel. I'm a huge fan of M390, and my reading leads me to believe that 20CV performs very similarly. The MK1-G2 is also available now with orange scales, which is what I prefer for outdoor activities.

I'm quite pleased with how my custom laser engraving came out:

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: New Knife - 09/21/19 11:21 PM

Wow, very nice! I'm glad that Doug found an excellent company to keep production going on this excellent design!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: New Knife - 09/24/19 01:36 AM

Thanks for your compliments. CPM 20CV is essentially the American-made equivalent of Bohler M390. Their alloy composition is virtually identical with the exception of silicone which 20CV has a minor percentage more. They respond exactly the same to heat treatment and will provide identical performance.
Posted by: CJK

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 12:40 AM

I hate you........(drool, drool, drool.....)
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: CJK
I hate you........(drool, drool, drool.....)

I don't understand why. It's just a tool.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't understand why. It's just a tool.

I get quite attached to certain tools, because of the way they work in my hands, because of the work I’ve done with them, or because of memories made with them.

Not everyone feels the way I do about tools, and that’s not only okay, it’s probably better for the pocketbook.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 02:00 AM

Me too! I tend to get attached to certain items that I use a lot, especially knives, flashlights and firearms.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 02:03 AM

There is nothing quite like the confidence that builds when you reach for Ol' Dependable to once again accomplish a useful task.

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 11:03 AM

It's like being attached to a car though it is a machine.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: haertig

Re: New Knife - 09/26/19 02:43 PM

I grow attached to things that do their job exceptionally well, and fit me perfectly. Notable exclusions are shovels, hammers, and vacuum cleaners. I pretty much hate using those, no matter how well they work.

Re: New Knife - 09/27/19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
It's like being attached to a car though it is a machine.

You are exactly right!

A year ago I replaced my car with one that’s much nicer. I wouldn’t trade back, but I still miss Harry. Yes, that was the name of the car.

Re: New Knife - 09/27/19 01:27 AM

What make and model was Harry?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: New Knife - 09/27/19 02:36 AM

Harry was (and hopefully is still in a good home) a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart, with over 230K hard miles on it. I was the original owner. A ton of fun to drive, at the end Harry was outrageously loud inside at highway speeds, such that I couldn’t take calls. My last year with Harry was about 50K of work miles, so not taking calls made things tough. I wasn’t planning to let Harry go, but I was up against a lot of expensive maintenance.

Re: New Knife - 09/27/19 11:37 AM

A friend had a 1986 Ford Tempo that has been in his family since she came home from the dealership. He would detail Henrietta once a week, making her the cleanest 1986 Ford Tempo on the road, and kept talking about how many miles she had on her as if those miles were a badge of honor.

Arik referred to Henrietta as an automotive family member, more specifically a grandmotherly figure as she approached twenty-five, the year she can legally be an antique.

Being in a position to give up Henrietta torn him up.

Jeanette Isabelle