Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 09/20/19 12:29 PM

Mom and I were looking for such a class as this. We found one; it will be taught on the Sabbath (Saturday). We discussed it.

The decision, for the most part, made its self when Mom posed this question: Do we let someone die because keeping the Sabbath is more important than taking a potentially life-saving class?

Since every tourniquet is different and I don't know which tourniquet we will practice with, I will bring my blue C-A-T trainer.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Russ

Re: Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 09/20/19 02:21 PM

A triangle bandage can make a very nice tourniquet, all you need is something (like a 6” dowel or stick) to act as a windlass. Then there’s sucking chest wounds, no tourniquet applies... Don’t limit yourself with presumptions I keep telling myself.

FWIW, $.02,
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 09/21/19 01:30 AM

I keep several tampons and some plastic wrap in my medical kit. In case of a gunshot wound that penetrates the abdomen, the tampon can be inserted into the wound and direct pressure can be applied. For a sucking chest wound, slap the plastic wrap over the wound and apply direct pressure.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 09/21/19 02:11 AM

The CoTCCC is, in my opinion, the definitive source of evidence-based medical recommendations for traumatic injury, and I’ve been fortunate to train with some true professionals who have both military and civilian paramedic trauma experience.

If I recall correctly CoTCCC has approved the SOFTT-W, CAT, and SAM XT. I’ve used all three in training, The SOFTT-W is best for buddy-aid. The CAT and SAM XT work for buddy-aid and are superior for self-aid.

CoTCCC also recommends against the use of tampons for penetrating injuries. You’re better off using compression bandages, and/or packing the wound with gauze, or better still one of the approved hemostatic gauzes.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 09/21/19 02:44 AM

For those unfamiliar with the acronym — Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC)
Tactical combat casualty care - Wiki
Posted by: DaveL

Re: Gun Shot Wound Class on the Sabbath - 10/02/19 10:46 PM

Thanks Russ
Too many acronyms not enough time🤪