The Trail of the Sandhill Stag

Posted by: brandtb

The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/22/19 05:12 PM

IT WAS A BURNING HOT DAY. Yan was wandering in pursuit of birds among the endless groves and glades of the Sandhill wilderness about Carberry. The water in the numerous marshy ponds was warm with the sun heat, so Yan cut across to the trail spring, the only place in the country where he might find a cooling drink. As he stooped beside it his eye fell on a small hoof-mark in the mud, a sharp and elegant track.

He had never seen one like it before, but it gave him a thrill, for he knew at once it was the track of a wild deer.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/32319/32319-h/32319-h.htm
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/22/19 07:37 PM

??
Posted by: Russ

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/22/19 11:33 PM

It’s a work of fiction by Ernest Thompson Seton. I have a collection of his stories on my Kindle which includes the Sandhill Stag.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/23/19 02:41 AM

Correct. But why the thread?

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/23/19 01:28 PM

I imagine it was just brought to the forum’s attention for our reading pleasure. Perhaps something to do while we’re bugging in?

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/24/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I imagine it was just brought to the forum’s attention for our reading pleasure. Perhaps something to do while we’re bugging in?

Correct.

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/27/19 02:47 AM

On that thought — Essential Books for the Well-Read Explorer

Re: The Trail of the Sandhill Stag - 05/29/19 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ

Thanks for posting this. Of the books you mention, No Picnic on Mount Kenya takes the cake for chutzpah, as my Jewish wife says. Escape from a Brit POW camp for the purpose of planting an Italian flag on top of Mount Kenya?