How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist

Posted by: Michael2

How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist - 10/22/18 08:29 PM

I enjoyed this autobiographical post by someone who now studies the metallurgy of knife steels and other steels: How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist

His blog contains a number of technical articles as well.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist - 10/22/18 11:36 PM

Thanks for posting a really fascinating and interesting article, but I have to wonder, 'Aren't there enough knife steels, already?"

Steel has been around for a couple of thousand years and knives and other assorted cutting instruments even longer. I read with some amusement the various discussions on knife forums about this steel vs that steel. I have been able to cut whatever I needed with my SAK, Leatherman, or Buck with the occasional sharpening session and i have only the foggiest notion of the variety of steel I am wielding. I understand that Buck knives work well because of their heat treatment, which some say is more significant that the type of steel.

How much is just marketing hype and how much is real performance? There must be a few opinions on this forum....
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist - 10/22/18 11:39 PM

Good share, thanks!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: How I Became a Knife Steel Metallurgist - 10/23/18 02:01 AM

I have a Crash Axe from Rustick Knives (full disclosure, he is a friend with whom I served), and it was razor sharp when I purchased it. I have chopped much wood with it, though no metal yet, and it is still razor sharp with no sharpening in the mean time. Some steels do hold an edge in spite of much use.