Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30

Posted by: quick_joey_small

Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 11:17 AM

Drop Forged Survival had the good idea of listing gear we'll actually buy. If like me you'll spend ages debating with myself 'do I get the Big Agnes $500 sleeping bag or the Wiggies $400 one? When I'm completely broke :-)

https://youtu.be/mp4Eij-nzkQ

https://youtu.be/1KRYV5v_kIA

https://youtu.be/jnOQCfxGea8

https://youtu.be/ICT2dARol9Y

Here's another review (with a link) for the mora garberg killer (full tang, finger guard, quality leather sheath - half the price) in week 4:

https://youtu.be/btQxnxvfNlk

Nice to see Drop Forge will recommend something he doesn't get a kickback for. OK he's made no money on that one, but it means one can trust the rest of the reviews.

qjs
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 02:15 PM

You can go a long ways toward decent outdoor kit by simply repurposing common household items - matches in a water tight pill box, a square of plastic sheeting, etc. for very little outlay.

There comes a time when the best strategy is to simply bite the bullet and pay for a really good item. Choose wisely and it will serve you well for years and years.

Serving as a draftee in the military many years ago, I swallowed hard and spent a month's pay for a really good down sleeping bag ($100, 3 lb weight, used it in well below zero conditions). the next month I blew half a month's income on a Kelty frame pack - state of the art at the time. These are 1960 prices...

These items were waiting for me at the end of my military service, and served superbly for several years. Both were eventually pilfered. I am sure the Kelty would still be in occasional use, if I still had it.

Overall, the items were worth subsisting on nothing but Army chow for a month. I think there are three things well worth spending bib bucks on - bag (sleeping), backpack, and boots - the three B's. The rest can be improvised - open camp fire, repurposed tin cans, plastic sheeting, etc.

If you get into technical climbing and rope work, it is time to spend money again - a good rope, well cared for, is super critical.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 02:19 PM

So, based on the title and content, I will ignore anything having to do with my house.

Just talking about outdoors, he really appears to ignore everything under 20.00.
i do not see Orange 55 gallon trash bags.
don't see hurricane whistles, Nalgene Bottles/Stainless Steel Bottles.

That being said, I was intrigued by the Epic Wipes and the Rainstick f20.

Anyone ever try the Rainstick f20?
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 02:39 PM

gotta comment on the Epic Wipes. I checked out several sites. I really like the size, but seriously, 2.50 per wipe? I am camping on a budget. a 70 pack of scentless baby wipes are 1.00. Now admittedly, I cannot use the leftover wipes as a wraparound dress without a sewing machine, but a ratio of 150:1 for the price? With a 70 pack of Babywipes in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, I get more washes, and a handy trash container for the leftovers.

If I leave them in my bags for a year and they dry out, I lost a dollar. (that why the ziplock, storage + keeps them from drying as fast)

They also make decent tinder when dry...

Counter Opinions?
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You can go a long ways toward decent outdoor kit by simply repurposing common household items

I'm of the opinion to use, as much as possible, things you usually use anyhow. When even a small emergency happens, it is comforting to have what you are comfortable using.

Last year Mom bought a solar oven and had used it several times in the summer to avoid generating more heat with the regular oven. Cooking with the solar oven has become so familiar to her that she does not have to think twice in the event of a power loss.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 03:18 PM

LCranston wrote:
> So, based on the title and content, I will ignore anything having to do with my house.
qjs: Why? It says 'Backpacking & Survival Gear'.

> Just talking about outdoors, he really appears to ignore
> everything under 20.00.
qjs: There are plenty of items under $20. I counted 7 in just the first week.

>i do not see Orange 55 gallon trash bags.
>don't see hurricane whistles, Nalgene Bottles/Stainless Steel Bottles.

qjs:
You expected him to review everything made that's under $30?
The Klean Kanteen 40oz Bottle in week 1 is a stainless steel bottle.

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 03:24 PM

hikermoor wrote:
> There comes a time when the best strategy is to simply bite
> the bullet and pay for a really good item. Choose wisely and
> it will serve you well for years and years.

Yep For the really important stuff; your 3 Bs: Bag, Backpack
and Boots (and I'd add waterproof) walking into a shop and ask them to bring you the most expensive item will usually get you the best choice, or very near to it. Damn!
For everything else great quality isn't necessary. An empty coke bottle is a perfectly good water bottle, an empty food tin can become a stove.....

qjs
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 04:30 PM

There are so many things that fit into this category, can you be more specific? Do you want to focus on supplies or durable gear? Do you mean the category that falls in between durable and expendable (like water bottles and such necessary gear)?

When you say "must have" implies to me that you are basing this on the survival priorities of shelter, water, signal, fire.

I would begin with a poncho. There is a wide range of quality and price, but a lightly used military surplus one will usually run about $20 (US) and last a very long time. It can be used as waterproof/windproof outerwear or as a shelter.

Next, you need the ability to store and carry water. There are many good water bottles out there, but I prefer the single walled stainless steel. These may tip the scales on the more costly end, however. Single wall stainless can be used in a fire to purify, will prevent solar radiation from making your water too hot to drink, and is durable.

A nesting cup, that your water bottle fits into, can make procuring and purifying water much easier, and cooking as well. They weigh little, take up almost no space and are very durable. The stainless steel ones are usually less than $20, though titanium may run over $30.

All of the best fire starting methods will be under $30: lighter, UCO stormproof matches, cotton balls, petroleum jelly, most ferrocerrium rods, and my favorite striker for the ferrocerrium rod, a cut down hacksaw blade. Even the Blastmatch, and its little brother the Sparky, are less than $30.

Almost every whistle and signal mirror cost under $30. There are some emergency strobe lights than are under $30, but the best will run over that price. Any brightly colored material (though we have discussed the advantages of orange and blue) with a large surface area can serve as a signal panel. The ubiquitous blue tarp will work well and make your shelter, for under $30.

The orange survival bag: Orange survival bag

or: Smaller orange survival bag

is inexpensive and works for signaling as well. Any of the emergency or space blankets will cost less than $30.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 05:01 PM

Montanero wrote:
> There are so many things that fit into this category, can you be more specific? Do you want to focus on supplies or durable gear? Do you mean the category that falls in between durable and expendable (like water bottles and such necessary gear)?

qjs: none of the above. I just pasted the commonest name Drop Forged Survival used for these videos. I have nothing to do with the content. Address queries to him please.

Found another video of his on the same topic that's not numbered by the week:

https://youtu.be/mp4Eij-nzkQ

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/18 09:57 PM

Watched the first part of the video, where the packet was thrown into a pool of water, absorbed fluid and which was then strained and consumed. I can only say that on numerous occasions (in remote settings only, not near civilization)I have drunk directly from much worse appearing ponds that that with no subsequent ill after effects what ever - my strategy being that bad stuff in that water might affect me after a week or so, but by then I will be back in town if I hydrate now. There were Arizona arid conditions and I was quite dehydrated.

It is always a good idea to drink water that is non-toxic, but if push comes to shove and you can't disinfect for some reason, drink up. First things first...

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 01:31 AM

If you do not drink, you will die of heat or dehydration before the biologicals kick in (in most cases). If yo have the time and resources, purify!

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 07:21 AM

I mentioned in the originating thread:

> Here's another review (with a link) for the mora garberg killer
> (full tang, finger guard, quality leather sheath - half the price) in week > 4:

> https://youtu.be/btQxnxvfNlk

The leather sheath certainly looks a beautiful piece of work. But is there any real advantage over man made materials?

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 01:34 PM

Definitely agree on purification. As an aside, I understand that WWII was the first conflict in American history in which deaths sustained on the battlefield exceeded those from disease. Probably had something to do with impure sources of water.....

My preferred drink outdoors is tea, which helps with purification of water.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 01:49 PM

Hey, the ancient Egyptians used beer as a strategic weapon. Beers requires boiling the water, and the Egyptian army drank mostly beer while on campaign. Other armies drank local water, and got sick. So the Egyptians could field a larger force than their enemies could.

I watched the videos. Up front I will say that any material, supplies or tools are better than having nothing, so everything they show has some value. There are some items I would not choose, others that I swear by. They do seem to have a large number of "most recommended" items, I think they should pare it down a bit and prioritize between "most recommended" and "others that we recommend".

There were some that I had never seen before, and I may try some of them out. I would like to find a good chemical lab to help me test the water purification methods, along with all of the other ones I already have. That straw, the "Sidekick", advertises some significant capabilities for such a small device. If it actually works it would be a very excellent addition to any kit, if it actually works.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 02:18 PM

Is it too late to signup for the Egyptian army?

Actually, during the brief period I was in service, it seems in retrospect that our military adopted the same tactic. I remember walking into the first into my first service club in Korea, noting immediately that Heineken was priced cheaper than the domestic brands, and thinking, "This might not be so bad, after all.."

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 02:31 PM

I thought did serve under the Pharaohs. Or was it Alexander? Or Caesar?

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 03:05 PM

Actually, I first served for Oog The Magnificent, back when stone weapons were the cutting edge.They cost well under$30.

Oog never made the history books....

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/18 04:50 PM

Montanero wrote:
> I would like to find a good chemical lab to help me test the water purification methods, along with all of the other ones I already have. That straw, the "Sidekick", advertises some significant capabilities for such a small device. If it
actually works it would be a very excellent addition to any
> kit, if it actually works.

Chris Townsends 'Backpackers Handbook' (terrific book) references several studies and his (and theirs) conclusion is that 'it is far more important to wash your hands thoroughly and keep your pans clean than to treat your water'. 'Most backcountry water is safe and you are very unlikely to catch anything from drinking it untreated'.
That's in North America and Europe.
In the third world it's a different story. Where, don't forget, filters are not purifiers, so they don't remove the most dangerous threat; viruses. Even iodine won't remove Cryptosporidium. The reviews I've read never mention this and talk about filters and purifiers without mentioning the difference.
And chemical pollution is a different story again...

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 05:27 AM

My Clark Kent comments on the gear in the video without a week number (the summary):
Some of those items are camping not survival gear, but since you put 'survival' in the video title here's a few comments:
Doug Ritter won't even review axes. Too dangerous if you are not used to them. Especially in a survival situation where you are possibly tired and injured and have no way of calling an ambulance. The machetes or kukris you recommend in other videos, are even more dangerous. The handle is a blade.
Magnesium scrapings will blow away in a breeze.
A cap is the worst place to keep anything valuable. It's usually the only item of clothing that can be blown away, snatched, or simply fall off.
A lantern that can only be rechared with a USB? A lot of survival situations you won't still have power.
Why use firestarters that have to be split and made into feather sticks? In a survival situation you want everything made easy in advance. You might have only one hand. Which brings me to:
Having broken my wrist last year I found:
A lot of gear can't be used one handed (good idea to practice). So ditch the ferro rods and use a one handed sparker. I had a great idea: if a flint and steel were attached to a gas tank, you would have a sparker that could also produce a flame when wanted. I'm sure it could be produced very cheaply. I've even thought of a name for it: 'the lighter'.
You wisely (8:21), screwed the stormproof match container on tightly. With only one hand they'll still have the cap screwed on tightly when they find your body. One solution is tie them in a plastic bag you can simply tear open with your teeth.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 05:33 AM

hikermor wrote:
> Actually, I first served for Oog The Magnificent, back when
> stone weapons were the cutting edge.

They still are:
'Good quality obsidian fractures down to single molecules which can produce a cutting edge 500 times sharper than the sharpest steel scalpel blade ("American Medical News", Nov. 2, 1984:21).'

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 05:39 AM

Montanero wrote:
> I would like to find a good chemical lab to help me test the
> water purification methods, along with all of the other ones > I already have.

You don't need to. In our ligatious world anyone selling a purifier that doesn't do as advertised, is heading for financial ruin.
But though it may do everything it claims, that might not be enough. They'll truthfully list all the things they remove.
But what about what they don't list?
As I commented earlier; filters aren't purifiers they won't remove viruses. Even idone won't remove Cryptosporidium. Not sure if there are any filters that remove chemicals.

qjs
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 10:08 AM

I absolutely wouldn't buy a no-name Chinese water filter. It's all good and well to rely on your estate to bring a lawsuit against an American company but for something drop - shipped from Alibaba you may have few legal remedies. I'll pony up the $15-20 for a real Life Straw or Sawyer Mini.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 10:11 AM

You DO need to test these claims. Nobody will bring any legal action unless someone uses it and gets sick. I would like to know before it is used how well it actually works.

There are some filters that claim to remove viruses, but they are rare. This filter does claim to remove some chemicals, and there are others.

You actually believe that every company will be truthful about their claims?

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 01:13 PM

I really don't want to heat up this discussion, but boiling the water takes care conclusively of all the biologicals...

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 07:49 PM

It is difficult to carry a pot, or even a metal cup, in a pocket size survival kit. If I have any sort of pack or bag I do carry one. There is also the issue of chemicals and heavy metals. In the area where I live, unless you get up into the mountain, you are risking farm and industrial waste in any ground water. Something small that can get you through far enough to help or improved water purification capabilities would be a good thing. Something small is more likely to be on you and for you to have it when you end up in a survival situation. Not all survival situation happen in remote and pristine wilderness.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
It is difficult to carry a pot, or even a metal cup, in a pocket size survival kit. ..... Not all survival situation happen in remote and pristine wilderness.

+1 on the pot difficulty, although,learning in hot, arid Arizzona,I soon vowed never to leave the car without a canteen. It is much easier to find a cup that will nest with canteens or water bottles. my fav is a 12 oz metal cup nesting at the bottom of a nalgene or sports drink container -light, versatile, and cheap!!

My most extensive experience with non-pristine water occurred at Canyon de Chelly National Monument (AZ). During one season of a long term project, we could not drive up the canyon to the dig because of exceptionally high water, and had to commute by an aboriginal side trail(a story in itself) and stay at the site for two to three days at a time.

That meant we drank the local stream water which was "too thin to plow and too thick to drink." CdeC Natl Mon is somewhat unusual in the NPS system in that the NPS controls only "objects of antiquity and of scientific interest." The Monument is also part of the Navajo Reservation, a habitat for thriving farmsteads and herds of sheep, which were both common upstream.

We would scoop up a gallon or so of stream water, let it sit for at least a day (until it was visually clear), decant and boil the fluid, and drink heartily. We did this for a month until the stream abated, and we could resume our normal commute....

Posted by: pforeman

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/23/18 11:40 PM

Thinking outside the box on this one...
Knowledge - take the $30 and go to a CPR/AED/1stAid class or something else like that. I've got an REI store in town and they run lots of short workshops and classes on stuff like exploring the local trails. bike maintenance, and other stuff all on the cheap.

Paul -

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/24/18 01:29 AM

I have spent much time in remote areas in various parts of the world, and I have seen large areas with no clean water at all. I have seen "pristine" looking water in high mountains give serious gastrointestinal problems, resulting in very severe dehydration. Every tool you can obtain is an advance in the right direction.

Settling, or decanting as you call it, straining, filtering, chemical purification and boiling are all useful, and better in combination, if you have the time and resources.

I have also spent much time in deep jungle where I strained the water through a t-shirt and used iodine tablets, and had nothing wrong with me.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/24/18 01:47 AM

The worst survival ordeal that I've had to endure was eating fried liver at a dinner where I didn't want to appear rude, by gagging and retching. So I don't speak from much "experience" in such things.

But with $30 to prep for survival, I'd want a knife, fire making, and water purification first. Right even with that I'd want some way of signaling. Obviously I'm thinking more of outdoorsy survival than urban survival.

For $30, I should be able to get a Mora, a Bic lighter, some iodine tablets (or even cheaper a bottle of liquid iodine), and a whistle. I might even be able to substitute one of those mini purifiers - a Sawyer straw perhaps - for the iodine and still slide in under $30. I know this thread was more about "inexpensive survival items" than "everything you can get for under $30 total", but still, I would lean towards the Mora, Sawyer filter, Bic lighter, etc. as highly recommended items for under $30 (each).

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/24/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pforeman
Thinking outside the box on this one...
Knowledge - take the $30 and go to a CPR/AED/1stAid class or something else like that. I've got an REI store in town and they run lots of short workshops and classes on stuff like exploring the local trails. bike maintenance, and other stuff all on the cheap.

Paul -

You are absolutely correct on this, but I believe that the Red Cross First aid class generally costs more than - by all means do the Advanced level; Basic FA is, well, too basic... Unfortunately, any class designated "wilderness is just code for "expensive," but worth it if you anticipate significant time in the woods. Employers will often pay for this training.

Training is much more important than bright and shiny gear, esp. in FA.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 08:37 AM

The B.O.S.S kits:

Their firestarting kits have magnesium in little capsules. Is this the problem to using magnesium? Simply light it while still in the capsule and it won't blow away as scrapings from a block will.
Though I've never understood why magnesium isn't sold in little blocks for this. Do only the scrapings ignite?

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
The B.O.S.S kits:

Their firestarting kits have magnesium in little capsules. Is this the problem to using magnesium? Simply light it while still in the capsule and it won't blow away as scrapings from a block will.
Though I've never understood why magnesium isn't sold in little blocks for this. Do only the scrapings ignite?

qjs

They do: https://www.rei.com/product/115907/ultimate-survival-technologies-magbar-fire-starter

This particular product,also available from other retailers, gets low marks because the included striker bar often comes off. I have a few back in the depths of my gear closet, but i usually have better alternatives.

Practically speaking, if the mag shavings you produce blow away in the wind, you know you are building a fire in the wrong place. You want calm, sheltered conditions for fire starting...

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 01:26 PM

I thought of this thread when I received my latest goodie - the cost came to $29.94, with postage.

This is a Fenix HL10 headlamp - three variable light levels, AAA battery, and good build quality. The light can be detached from the very light headband and will serve as a keychain light, replacing a light that is beginning to be unreliable.

The light is not enormously bright, but it will serve quite well for following a trail at night (for a short time, until the battery is exhausted...)

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 05:39 PM

Let me know how good the Fenix HL10 is. I have the HL50, and I love it, but it is over $30.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 08:16 PM

The HL50 looks like an excellent primary headlamp, with the new virtually standard variable light levels, and plenty of lumens at the top end. I bought the hL10 primarily as a key chain ight, an essential part of my EDC, but it is nice that it can function as a headlamp, if necessary. I usually carry a headlamp on outdoor excursions, but more than one is not a bad idea. When caving, I adhere to the doctrine of at least three independent sources of light and that is not a bad idea for any outdoor trip, except possibly for Alaska right now.

I note that the HL50 weighs 0.6 of an ounce more than the HL-10. Can you handle that burden?

Actually, I bought the HL10 because the light blue head band complements my eye color perfectly. After all, we mustn't forget that we are civilized...
Posted by: Russ

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/06/18 09:44 PM

I kinda like the Fenix HL23. Single AA NiMH or alkaline with more output than a headlamp needs. I’ve always used headlamps for close-in work where too many lumens is an issue. AA battery gives more time and output in mid & high and a slightly lower low. ~$35 so that’s above the $30 cut-off.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/07/18 12:23 AM

I mentioned this before; I believe this is worth mentioning again in this thread. At $25 the following kit offers the best bang for the buck.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/first-aid-kit-351-pieces/prod20200504.ip?xid=plp_product_1_28

For most of the items in the kit, the quality is good. The exception to that is the sterile strips. The kit also includes butterfly bandages. They work. Or you can add your preferred sterile strips. The kit's biggest disadvantage is its bulky size.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Sam's Club or TRI, the manufacturer of this kit.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/09/18 10:51 PM

Love the HL50 -- great performance, well-spaced output levels, takes either a CR123A or a AA, and perhaps most importantly MY WIFE ACTUALLY USES IT. In fact, it's proven to be totally wife-and-recombinant-DNA-proof, so far.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/20/18 09:09 AM

why women should carry compasses....

https://youtu.be/Tdgkf26wJks?t=6m56s

Kit looks good. Note; he is reviewing the kit he's selling.

qjs
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/23/18 12:13 PM

hahaha! She made it! WOOHOO!! LOL!

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 07/24/18 06:57 AM

As well as the Walmart finder, the rest of the stuff looks good.

An extreme test of the firestarting bits and the foil blanket:

https://youtu.be/_wnu2DVhml0

'It seemed like a good idea at the time.'
He was already in the first stages of hypothermia and removed his vest as he thought he was overheating.

Makes you realise how difficult it is in real life.
And you have to try using the gear before you need it.
The twigs will hurt your hand, the blanket needs unpacking then rerolling in advance. Thinking is cloudy......

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 11/10/18 11:40 AM

Found this one too:

'Most Recommended Survival Gear under $10'

https://youtu.be/G7tGwERCGyg

Note: This is Drop Forged Survivals recommended items under $10. NOT asking people what items they'd buy for that, or what full kit they'd make for that.
For those (practically everybody) who didn't actually look at the previous links.

qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 11/10/18 01:17 PM

More important than the initial cost o any item is its effectiveness and its dependability//reliability. Part of this consideration is the question - Do you know how to use the item properly?

I really appreciate gear with which I am familiar - a minor example - yesterday - our power was out for about ten hours. Getting up in the morning, the first order of business was a nice hot, steaming cup of coffee.

Time to break out the camping gear, including my MSR Pocket Rocket, purchased and first used in 2001. It worked fine, and i had my coffee in jig time, using a stove in which I had utter confidence - a nice feeling when things are getting a little dicey...

I have no idea what that stove cost back in 2001, nor do I care. I just know it works and heats stuff up.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 11/10/18 05:18 PM

Time to break out the camping gear, including my MSR Pocket Rocket, purchased and first used in 2001.

Funny. I am most comfortable with my old SVEA 123R stove. Maybe don't want to use it indoors though - sometimes that startup procedure with the fuel in that little moat around the main stem can get a little flame-y.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/08/19 11:37 AM

Here's a newer list:

https://youtu.be/aUJUQpTnVng?t=1094

Note the survival straw has a filter that is 0.05 microns. Anyone know does that mean it'll get rid of absolutely everything?

And this is most recommended OVER $30:

https://youtu.be/1VZJDzJenos

qjs
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/08/19 11:48 AM

Filtering water is not just about microns. I would recommend this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/water-treatment

(no affiliation)

This is about what they teach in the third world; its a great for a base knowledge about filtration and all the other parts that are important.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/08/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Here's a newer list:

https://youtu.be/aUJUQpTnVng?t=1094

Note the survival straw has a filter that is 0.05 microns. Anyone know does that mean it'll get rid of absolutely everything?

And this is most recommended OVER $30:

https://youtu.be/1VZJDzJenos

qjs

I'm not an expert but as I understand it, no single treatment modality will get rid of absolutely everything, especially in the field.

In most parts of the USA, we should be concerned with removing or killing microbes from drinking water before consuming it. Filters, chemicals, UV devices, SODIS, and boiling can all work to disinfect water. Generally, one of these methods is enough, especially if dirt and debris is removed from the water first. So a coarse filter (like a shirt, handkerchief, coffee filter, or similar) should be used to get those larger particles out before taking steps for disinfection, especially if the water is visibly turbid.

In some places, heavy metal and other chemical contamination is also a concern. Disinfection techniques are generally not sufficient to make the water safe in those cases. I don't know of a reliable field-portable way to purify water against all possible contaminants; it may be possible to use a portable method that works well against a specific contaminant in the area you're in.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/09/19 12:22 AM

Yeah, filters only get you so far. Not going to handle salt water for example.

Distilling will do a lot, but still volatile organic compounds with a boiling point around that of water or below will still be present. Would need activated charcoal or something to absorb those.

But I kind of think the straw type filters are for when you are in trouble, and have no choice than to drink whatever (non salt) water is available. That's when it's time for these straws.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/09/19 01:40 PM

It is smart to be mindful of water purity when in the wild, but do keep things in perspective. When in doubt, drink!! You can always seek a cure once you have returned to civilization. Following that reasoning, I have ingested some very questionable water sources. I have never suffered any consequences.

On one occasion, two of us lived or a month, drinking water that was downstream from herds of sheep and human habitations without any kind of modern plumbing (Canuyon de Chelly, AZ). We let the water settle and then boiled it. No problems at all.

See the thread on Picacho Peak for the alternative....
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/21/19 07:27 PM

Maybe this should go somewhere else, but I can't quickly find another thread.
This is a free ebook/download on Survival and Austere Medicine:

https://1776patriotusa.com/survival-austere-medicine/

I quibble about the assertion (no reference given) that medicines really "expire" or lose potency, or become toxic over time (aspirin).
As presented elsewhere, expiration dates are mainly a legal way for the pharmaceutical companies to get us to buy more of their product, and ensure steady income for their company and stockholders:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-h...xpiration-dates

Some strengths of the book include the broad array of topics, experience of the international contributors, and being unafraid to list specific brands of recommended bags/kits, etc.

I'm saving copies to my phone, laptop, Dropbox and printing off a hard copy.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/22/19 12:42 PM

Excellent share, Famdoc!

Would you be so good as to post this again as its own thread in The Survival Forum?

chaosmagnet
Posted by: willpo

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/24/19 09:11 PM

Offtopic post deleted.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/25/19 01:56 AM

Yes sir: done.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/25/19 03:21 AM

Stealing and poaching!!! What is ETS coming to?

Many of us prefer more legitimate pursuits....

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 06/25/19 10:39 AM

Stealing and poaching!!! What is ETS coming to?

Many of us prefer more legitimate pursuits....

Agreed.

chaosmagnet

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 08/31/19 06:28 AM

Latest 'survival items under $30' from Drop Forged Survival.

https://youtu.be/6SHvvXfFUHQ

Note: This is Drop Forged Survivals recommended items under $30. NOT asking people what items they'd buy for that, or what full kit they'd make for that.

Though those would be good threads if anyone wants to start them
I'd have nothing but Dougs, Pro Survival, Wazoo..... and other high end gear if I had unlimited funds. But I don't.
cheap items are better than nothing.
qjs

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 08/31/19 02:32 PM

suitability for a give purpose or endeavor is not guaranteed by paying a higher price. All too often, you are just paying for bling or eye appeal.

Some cheap items that work quite well would include Mora knives and Bic lighters. There are a bunch of fairly inexpensive but reliable flashlights/headlamps. It is hard to beat cotton balls/ dryer lint impregnated with petroleum jelly for fire starters.

Sometimes it is worth it to fork over the dough. I dropped about $100 on my Zebralight headlamp and two batteries, but I got a totally reliable unit that I use frequently. I will also spend the money when it comes to critical items like climbing harness, climbing rope and protective headgear. Even here, expensive is not necessarily better. So many choices....

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 08/31/19 03:50 PM

Anything is better than nothing, but durable and functional are important. If it can't do the job it is a waste. If it gets you through one event, good. Plan to buy another. I recommend to get the best you can afford. In addition, build your knowledge and skills so you can improvise with materials that are available. If cost is a severely limiting factor, learning, training and practice are more important.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 09/08/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
In addition, build your knowledge and skills so you can improvise with materials that are available.

Agreed. The skills to utilise found materials are always with you. That's true in wilderness and in cities. Both environments are awash in resources if you know what to do with them.

To that end, I always carry gear that helps me improvise -- in essence, tools that help me create the tools I need.

A practical example (under $30): when travelling by air with only carry-on luggage, I always carry a double-sided diamond sharpener. Security looks at it, but has never hassled me. I know from experience that I can always borrow or scrounge a used kitchen knife or pruning shears at my destination. And, I have practised operating with them so I know what they can (and cannot) do. But I guarantee you that they will not have a working edge. Out comes the diamond ...
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 09/09/19 03:00 PM

under $30 must-have because the world is dark 50% of the time

https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Ti-NW-Flashlight-Titanium/dp/B00QQBOVR0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

i have one of these stashed in every kit (i'm a flashaholic with a lifetime of searching for the right lights)
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 09/09/19 05:51 PM

I bought 4 of a Chinese knock off of these lights several years ago. I keep one in my glove box, and gave the rest to my wife and kids. I put lithium primaries in each and think the world of them.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 09/09/19 08:16 PM

I have a few of those wileycoyote, including one on my keyring right now. I am not aware of a better 1xAAA flashlight at any price point.

Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 - 05/18/20 11:00 AM

Drop Forged Survival added another video:

https://youtu.be/TSoAhSIkyVc

qjs