Knot guys - suspend a log without bias?

Posted by: Bingley

Knot guys - suspend a log without bias? - 06/02/18 10:24 AM

I want to hang a log from a fixed point using a rope. What knot should I use?

1. The knot should not create bias! In other words, the knot should not make the log more likely to spin in one direction than another.

2. The knot needs to be at the center of the log, leaving it free to spin.

I know many of you are skilled with knots. Please help!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Knot guys - suspend a log without bias? - 06/02/18 01:10 PM

Part of the problem will lie with the rope you use. A laid rope (spiral twists) will tend to unwind under load. Use a kernmantle (sheathed) rope to minimize that issue.

I would try a bowline on a bight -one loop expanded to envelop the log and brought back to the second loop (you can do as many loops as you desire, depending on the length of the rope you have and the size of the log), attaching to the smaller loop with a carabiner(s).

This works for large mammoth skulls - ought to work for logs.

Interesting problem! What other solutions are there?? - I'll bet Tony E has a dandy....
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Knot guys - suspend a log without bias? - 06/02/18 03:58 PM

A really simple solution would be to screw an eye bolt into the upper end of the log and simply hang it from that point. Would that work?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Knot guys - suspend a log without bias? - 06/02/18 05:47 PM

If it really needs to spin freely, a swivel or two might be required. A rope might get biased when it has to take torque. The internal friction may not allow it to completely return to neutral state.
It might also make a difference whether the log is suspended vertically or horizontally.
IŽll second hikermoreŽs suggestion to use kernmantel rope.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Knot guys - suspend a log without bias? - 06/04/18 02:32 AM

Use webbing. The knot will have little to do with spinning I would think. Timber hitch, clove hitch, klemheist, prussic.