That knife looks familiar

Posted by: Ratch

That knife looks familiar - 02/22/18 08:49 PM

Is it just me, or does the knife in this survival kit, sold on amazon, look familiar..to the DR Mk 5?

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Starting...lderness+Supply
Posted by: Ren

Re: That knife looks familiar - 02/22/18 10:30 PM

Yeah, took less than a minute to find it on AliExpress... for less than $3.
Posted by: Ratch

Re: That knife looks familiar - 02/22/18 11:07 PM

Cheap knock off. I know there are good cheap knives, but probably not that one. Can knife designs be patented?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: That knife looks familiar - 02/22/18 11:08 PM

We have seen such things before
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: That knife looks familiar - 02/23/18 04:59 AM

I have a few of the exact same knife. They were called "Mini Tiger Paws" on eBay. I got three of them for just under $5 shipped from China. Let me hasten to add that I already have five of the real things and the real thing has been discontinued so I felt okay trying the knockoffs. They came with no real edge to speak of and I have not as of yet tried to sharpen one.

Really, the knockoffs show just how much value you get with the real thing. My Ritter/CRKT RSK Mk5s came properly sharpened and with a very good scabbard/sheath. The knockoff comes in a vinyl/pleather sheath that's pretty crappy.

Of course, some folks that don't know how things are brought to market will buy based on price and think they have real survival gear.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: That knife looks familiar - 02/23/18 07:03 PM

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," they say, so no wonder we have tiger paws. If only DR had consulted with us, we would be brandishing "Scorpion Claw Tactical Survival Wonder Weapons" or some such. I am glad I picked up three M5's recently (five bucks apiece) as they are no longer in the CRKT catalog. It was super great to get a decent sheath, DR's advice on survival kit composition, and a neat container. Throw in a small signal mirror, a Bic, and you are well on the way to a decent survival rig....

The ones I got were shaving sharp, right out of the box.