Spark-Lites

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Spark-Lites - 06/14/17 05:22 PM

A number of years ago I was practicing with a plastic Spark-Lite and I dropped it in the fire. It was totaled. I'm wondering if I did the same with the aluminum or brass Spark-Lite, would it fare any better? It stands to reason that the handle would survive but what about the rest of it?

There's something else I've wondered about. The aluminum and brass Spark-Lites have the replaceable flint. Does replacing the flint really extend the life of the Spark-Lite?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/14/17 05:40 PM

The flint is the part that is used up by striking. Replacing the flint adds more life to the device. Like a cigarette lighter, the non-disposable kind.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/14/17 07:37 PM

If it stays in the fire for a longer time, the spring may loose its hardness. Maybe it can be replaced with a spring from a disposable ligther. The wheel may get soft too.
The brass may oxidize and get a rough finish in the hole for the flint. That can impair the function of the Spark-Lite.
If you are really unlucky, the handle may melt.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 01:50 AM

I expect that the aluminum version would hold up at least a little better vs a fire, but I would hate to push it too far.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 02:23 AM

You are supposed to START the fire with it, not throw it in. It ignites the tinder, it is not fuel.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
You are supposed to START the fire with it, not throw it in. It ignites the tinder, it is not fuel.

Hahaha! I've been doing it all wrong! grin Seriously though I read that to mean it was accidentally dropped in the fire but I could be wrong.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 11:33 AM

I accidently dropped it in the fire.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 02:18 PM

I was joking also. All of the comments on whether it could survive the fire just sounded amusing to me.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 04:27 PM

Having used the Spark-Lite, I'm aware of its limitation, namely it does not produce the sparks of larger units I've seen demonstrated. What are other good fire starters?

The Aurora looks to be a good product but I don't know if it lives up to its hype.

http://soloscientific.com/aufisteqwisu.html

Is it any good? How does it compare to other fire starters?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 04:39 PM

I am partial to the Blast Match: Blast Match

And its little brother Sparkie: Sparkie

I am not generally a fan of Ultimate Survival Technologies products as I have tested many that failed straight out of the package, but these two seem to work consistently and produce very good and hot sparks. They can even start a fire with pine needles, dry grass and leaves with no other tinder. They can also be used with one hand. I have not purchased one in a while, so I have not tried any newer ones. The older ones do work well. They are not small, and the Sparkie can have a tendency for the mechanism that locks it closed to fail, but it still works to produce sparks.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 04:51 PM

All of that said, I do like the Spark Lite for small, pocket kits. With good tinder, it is reliable and easy to use.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
What are other good fire starters?

My first choice in starting a fire is always going to be the humble BIC lighter. "First choice" does not mean "best choice". I'm using the term to mean "easiest choice". But if the BIC fails to get a fire going, as it well might under adverse conditions, my second choice is going to be matches, supplemented with a candle (the "Can't Blow 'Em Out" trick candle variety, if available). Third choice is going to be a firesteel (large size). The order of these choices is based solely on my ability to use them quickly. I always carry all three (when in the wild, but not in urban settings).

If you have a BIC lighter, even if it is out of fuel, you basically have a Spark-Lite. A Spark-Lite seems to be nothing more than a BIC without fuel, albeit smaller in size.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/15/17 05:36 PM

Redundancy is a good thing for fire starting methods. They generally do not occupy much space.

A BIC lighter is a great tool, and I ALWAYS carry one. One hand usable, fairly reliable and does not need special tinder. However, I have experienced many failures of these, mostly due to physical damage or the fluid leaking out because the button was depressed. I also always carry UCO or REI stormproof matches, but these need a good striking pad which must be kept dry. No matter what method or methods you carry, something can go wrong and it is good to have an alternative. If your adventures are not so extreme, then maybe you do not need such redundancies.

Along with these fire starting methods, I always carry good tinder. It can make all the difference.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/17/17 12:46 PM

These days i routinely use a Bic. But I carry matches, and they have never failed me in past escapades when lighting a fire was crucial - just carry more than one and keep them and a sparking surface dry. Since I usually carry a canister stove, even the tiniest spark from a ferro rod will get things going.

Remember that good tinder and dry, small starting fuel is just as important as the initial ignition mechanism.....
Posted by: Ren

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/18/17 12:34 AM

Believe still can get a shepherd's lighter, or rope lighter.
Same principal as the spark wheel type lighter, but with a impregnated/charred rope to catch the spark, which then use to light whatever tinder.
Also bigger to hold on to, and less likely to ping it into a fire.

Pic of one https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/425379127280045054/

Still covet a Douglass Field S lighter, like a zippo but waterproof/resistant, with spare fuel tank, and place for spare flint.

Re: Spark-Lites - 06/18/17 02:19 AM

No knock on the shepherd's lighter (I have never used one) but the Spark-lite works extremely well. It's so small, light and cheap that I almost always have one with me when I'm in the woods.