Fidget Spinners....

Posted by: TeacherRO

Fidget Spinners.... - 06/13/17 05:59 PM

Hmmm. I'm seeing these in many EDC pocket dumps.
I just don't get the appeal.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/13/17 08:18 PM

Maybe I'm just getting old but I am baffled as well.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 12:06 AM

I only learned of them in the last month or so. Some of them look pretty neat. I'm working on learning how to fidget, so I can have an excuse to get one! I wouldn't carry it around with me though. It would sit on my desk to help me get through the long boring work conference phone calls.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 01:18 AM

That's what ETS is for grin .
Posted by: Russ

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 03:40 AM

Being mission oriented, I'm holding out for a tactical, glow-in-the-dark titanium spinner ... so I can figdet with a mission.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 05:25 AM

Some designs are useful multi-purpose tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVRB3BoWOU
Jörg also mentions an application in the medical sector (ADHS).
They may also serve as bearing for a bow drill.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
That's what ETS is for grin .

No idea what you are talking about... grin grin
Posted by: Ren

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/14/17 12:43 PM

Some look like they'd be useful as bearing block for a bow drill set.

Edit: Ah someone brought this up already smile
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 06/17/17 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Being mission oriented, I'm holding out for a tactical, glow-in-the-dark titanium spinner ... so I can fidget with a mission.

My son's friend has something like one of these. Apparently Costco sells a 5 pack, so you can have multiple redundancies. wink

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_7b2dtkg66n_e

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/26/17 06:11 PM

...I'd rather carry something useful. Cell battery, notebook, business cards, lighter...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/26/17 10:38 PM

I'd carry a spare knife, flashlight or fire making thing before a fidget spinner.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 12:06 AM

There is some speculation as to fidget spinners ameliorate nervous energy or psychological stress, but AFAIK there is no scientific basis for those claims.

That said, a largish keyring carrying useful trinkets can be spun on a finger if the need arises. Unlike the many spinners that can be found in the marketplace, a spinner can be assembled with lots of different useful items. It may not be as precisely balanced and effortless to keep spinning, but should be much more useful overall. YMMV

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 12:14 AM

I always likes gyroscopes as a kid. Do these fidget spinners have the gyroscopic affect of resistance to changing their angle of rotation? I would think they would. Anything spinning on an axis should, if it spins fast enough. I may have to get me one of these. Of course, being an engineer, I would want a finely machined one, probably costing 20x what the ones at store front counters cost. Could easily become an expensive toy!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 12:35 AM

I am having a difficult time thinking of a gadget that would be more useless than a fidget spinner...

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 12:56 AM

Toys are, in general, useless. They entertain the mind and spur imagination, but pretty much that's the end of it. Nothing wrong with entertaining the mind though.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am having a difficult time thinking of a gadget that would be more useless than a fidget spinner...

Someone already did the thinking for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidget_Cube
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 09:36 AM

The fidget has been demonstrated to be a decent bearing block for making boww drill fires/embers.
Posted by: Cauldronborn2

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/27/17 11:06 AM

Hi folks

I've seen a lot of these over here in the uk and I've had the same thoughts on their "usefulness".

That said similar things such as worry stones and beads seem to have have existed for thousands of years right back to to ancient world, so I guess there is something about things like them to some people and I have to admit I do use my pocket knive it that manner from time to time.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/28/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
There is some speculation as to fidget spinners ameliorate nervous energy or psychological stress, but AFAIK there is no scientific basis for those claims.

That said, a largish keyring carrying useful trinkets can be spun on a finger if the need arises.

IIRC, they were originally intended as a focus object for Autistic kids. Something to help them cope with the overload of sensory inputs.

Originally Posted By: M_a_x

Someone already did the thinking for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidget_Cube

Those are more interesting then spinners to play with. I wouldn't actually pay for one, but I wouldn't refuse one either

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
Hi folks
That said similar things such as worry stones and beads seem to have have existed for thousands of years right back to to ancient world, so I guess there is something about things like them to some people and I have to admit I do use my pocket knive it that manner from time to time.

Pretty much. I've been seeing Begleri, Komboloi, and various whatnot show up on EDC websites.

The playing with knives is what drove me to take up knotwork. The constant "whack,snick,click" was driving my Wife batty, and she gently "suggested" I go tie some knots.

Re: Fidget Spinners.... - 08/28/17 06:13 PM

Challenge accepted!!