What info to leave to ID your body?

Posted by: Bingley

What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 10:46 AM

I read about a banker who attempted to defend a woman during the recent London attack. Apparently he might have perished, and the authorities have asked his family to help identify him by providing his fingerprints. This made me think: we don't normally keep forensic information on our friends and family. So (1) what information should we leave in case we go missing or end up dead? (2) How do you store it for the authorities and family/friends to access, while protecting your privacy?

I guess from watching crime drama on TV, (1) would include fingerprints, DNA sample (hair? blood? semen?), and dental records. What else?

I would have no idea how to store this stuff. Put it in a box marked "DNA info" and leave it in a visible area in your house?

Obviously you can leave one of those dramatic videos where you identify your killer (turns out, he's your long lost twin!).
Posted by: hikermor

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 12:25 PM

DNA -always with you and unique
Posted by: NAro

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 01:10 PM

I understood the question to be what could YOU leave behind to facilitate identification of YOU if deceased or unable to interact with the authorities.

The first attempt to confirm identity will be fingerprints. You COULD leave a fingerprint card (you can find numerous private agencies to provide one) with a trusted party.

The second layer will be dental. The coroner/police will consult a forensic odontologist (dentist) to look at x-rays of the deceased and compare to x-rays from a dentist. So if you have a dentist who has taken x-rays of you mouth, you can leave the dentist's name with your trusted party: the coroner will probably insist on directly contacting that dentist for a copy of the x-rays...so I don't know if giving a copy to your trusted party would be of any help.

In spite of what you watch on CSI, DNA will be a bit later in the evidence chain (cost, time frame)... but you could leave a lock of your hair with the trusted party.
Posted by: haertig

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 01:29 PM

You could wear an ankle bracelet with your name on it, dog tags, or slip one of the dog tag metal pieces into your wallet.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 03:05 PM

Dogtag around my neck with full name and SSN. Didn't have one in the military but can buy them made as you desire from a few outdoor stores.

Stainless steel so it will survive an airplane crash.

They also make red aluminum ones for if you have a medical issue that should be worn around your neck. (not plane crash worthy though)

Neck chain makes a good place to carry house key and emergency whistle for other occasions.
Posted by: Russ

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 04:00 PM

I have a Road ID which has as much ID as I need and room for additional.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 05:23 PM

I carry state, federal, company ID's plus a medical file microfiche. If I know that I'm going into a risky operation, I'll wear my dogtags as well.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/07/17 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: NAro
I understood the question to be what could YOU leave behind to facilitate identification of YOU if deceased or unable to interact with the authorities.

The first attempt to confirm identity will be fingerprints. You COULD leave a fingerprint card (you can find numerous private agencies to provide one) with a trusted party.

The second layer will be dental. The coroner/police will consult a forensic odontologist (dentist) to look at x-rays of the deceased and compare to x-rays from a dentist. So if you have a dentist who has taken x-rays of you mouth, you can leave the dentist's name with your trusted party: ...

A 10 fingerprint card is part of the missing child kit. It shouldn't be to hard to get a card for adults. If left with a trusted person, along with pictures of any prominent scars or tattoos, copies of dental X-rays, and relevant medical records (I have a collection of old breaks and some bits and pieces that I wasn't born with). I believe you are allowed to request a copy of your records.

Originally Posted By: haertig
You could wear an ankle bracelet with your name on it, dog tags, or slip one of the dog tag metal pieces into your wallet.

Dog tags were issued to school kids during the 1950's for the purpose of identifying loose kids, or the remains of one, after getting nuked. If you have a medical condition, like a penicillin allergy, then a MedAlert tag isn't an option. I wouldn't count on putting a tag in the wallet, since it's likely get stolen by the local entrepreneurs before the coroner gets around to scraping you up.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/11/17 07:14 PM

for years, while hiking, i laced a dog tag through my left boot with the existing shoelaces. sorry to say that doesn't work with my current hiking boots.

in addition also while hiking, as mentioned above, i do wear a dog tag and whistle on a neck chain.

presupposing you have either or both of these, if you comb / brush your hair and your teeth, there's plenty of dna left behind for testing.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/12/17 01:05 AM

I guess it has never occurred to me to care what happens to my body once I'm done using it. But it does make sense that you would want to be ID'd, for the family to have some closure. I always have my wallet on me which has several forms of ID but if that was lost I guess they'd have to figure out who I was by some other means.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/12/17 01:24 AM

You may just be unconscious, not completely dead.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/12/17 02:50 AM

Dog tags have worked for a long time. My registered brand if anyone bothered to look it up. I liked the Todd tattoo from the Kurt Russell movie "Soldier", but facial tattoo is is a bit much.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/12/17 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
You may just be unconscious, not completely dead.

With apologies, I can't help but think of The Princess Bride:

Inigo Montoya: He's dead. He can't talk.
Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: What's that?
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

grin

You are right, of course. It certainly would be useful to have ID if I was alive but unresponsive. I would think my wallet would be on me but that's not a certainty I suppose.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/13/17 01:40 AM

I have a RoadID for running and biking. Works fine for hiking too. No affiliation.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/14/17 05:41 AM

Years ago, I saw a newscast about an unidentifed, now dead, Good Samaritan. The newscaster said he'd taken to wearing his old armed forces dog tag, when he went jogging.

Thereafter, I purchased a SS neck medallion from the .Medic Alert Foundation. They are a long standing not for profit. The medallion or bracelet has ID & emergency medical info inscribed. There are also an inscribed personal ID number and toll free phone number. A hospital can call, give the ID number and get your presubmitted medical history and next of kin.

EMS is trained to check for such ID. I highly recommend this option.

If I'm going on an especially long power walk, especially when I cross the state line, I also carry an inexpensive see-thru plastic waterproof wallet. It contains my driver's license, credit card, medical insurance card, ~$200, (2) aspirin, (2) H bandaids and (2) small antiseptic wipes. Further equipment includes my cell phone, key chain with Fox whistle and E-01 flashlight ( lithium battery), hot ironed yellow bandana vacuum sealed & with 40" folded Gorilla tape ,flat rolled on some plastic report cover. Now, post recent surgery, I also carry a hickory crookneck walking stick, just in case and for a boost on hills and stairs.

I know it sounds like a lot of kit. But it's light and compacts into 2-3 pockets in my running shorts or Patagonia Stand-Up shorts. I don't notice the weight on my trek. I didn't mean to pirate the thread, but one thing seemed to flow from one to the other.

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/14/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I wouldn't count on putting a tag in the wallet, since it's likely get stolen by the local entrepreneurs before the coroner gets around to scraping you up.

That's a good point. One of the Portland train victims was robbed after his death. It seems like a non-wallet means of ID is definitely important.

Some are suggesting Road ID and Medic Alert. As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/16/17 04:45 AM

Bingley: My Medic Alert medallion has my name; blood type & rh factor; medical conditions (e.g. Drug allergy, ) & my ID number + the Medic Alert 800 number. On file at the Medic Alrert database is a longer medical history and emergency contact info. The hospital calls the 800 number, gives your ID number and can access the info. I'm not sure if they can also do it on-line. I'll inquire.
Posted by: bws48

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/16/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?

For me, I look at it in terms of what can kill me the quickest, and that is my diabetes and dependence on insulin. All the other meds I take are for conditions that, absent the meds, are long term threats, but not an immediate danger if I miss them for a while.

As for Blood type, I have been told that regardless of what Blood type shown on any identification on you, modern medical practice is to type your blood before giving you a transfusion.

Also, apparently locally, (and hopefully nationally) it is now SOP to check the blood sugar of an unconscious person. This, apparently, due to the extent of diabetes in the general population. But on this I defer to those members with more up to date and accurate information.

So on my med alert I have 2 words, "Diabetes" and "Insulin."
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/17/17 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

Some are suggesting Road ID and Medic Alert. As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?

There's always the old "In case of emergency" cards. I keep mine tucked in behind my drivers license figuring that the paramedics or cops are going to go through your wallet looking for ID or medical insurance. Mine has contact information for my wife, my doctor, and a list of my medications & dosages.

If there's a particularly pressing issue, like a drug allergy or a pre-existing condition, it should go on a medical alert pendents or bracelet. You could put it on a dog tag, but make sure that the tag is decorated with a Star of Life or Caduceus so the paramedics know it's medical and not just jewlery
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/18/17 06:00 AM

DW had her allergy tattooed onto her right forearm along with a medical cadeuces.

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/18/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
DW had her allergy tattooed onto her right forearm along with a medical cadeuces.

I'm reminded of Mad Max: Fury Road...

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: What info to leave to ID your body? - 06/23/17 11:32 PM

when I was in the Army in the late 60's guys would have their name and SS tattooed on a foot.word was that body part was most likely to be recovered being in a heavy combat boot.
on canoe trips I have a extra Vets Hospital ID card in my PFD.