Tactical spork

Posted by: Bingley

Tactical spork - 05/05/17 02:04 PM

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2159001/ka-bar-tactical-spork
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Tactical spork - 05/05/17 02:24 PM

uhm... ok.

Don't people start to get annoyed with everything tactical? Tactical armbands, tactical pens, tactical mugs and now tactical sporks. It's kind of like people compensating for something.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Tactical spork - 05/05/17 03:04 PM

It's ludicrous/hilarious/kind of sad but mostly just a marketing ploy (somewhat akin to "survival" this or that). Mostly aimed at immature, wanna be mall ninja types desperately in need of an ego massage.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Tactical spork - 05/05/17 03:15 PM

I don't have anything good to say about sporks, tactical or otherwise. They make lousy forks because the tines are too short and as a spoon they leak and poke you in the mouth. Just a totally worthless piece of gear imo. YMMV

That said, I've always wanted a tactical steak-knife; the Benchmade Saddle Mountain Hunter met my needs just fine. I have a Ti fork & spoon to go with it.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Tactical spork - 05/05/17 03:21 PM

It might be excused if was an accurate indication of increased functionality or durability, but it rarely, if ever, is. Just a marketing ploy. But it works on some people. They are under the impression that it is better in some way. If there were not a market for it, they wouldn't do it.

Yes, I hate sporks as well. I have some nice titanium cutlery that weighs nothing.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 12:27 AM

Fortunately probably breaks two laws here. Disguised knife, and undetectable (non-metallic).

Fancied a ESEE CR2.5 as a little steak knife.

LMF Ti Spork, as has proper tines and spoon.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 12:58 AM

With an LMF Ti Spork (at 0.7 oz.) you get to hold one eating end of the utensil while the other eating end is in the food. With a Ti spoon, fork & knife set (at a very heavy 1.8 ounces) your utensils have real handles, but you need to allow yourself that extra 1.1 ounce of weight. Toss the Ti knife (it was redundant and less sharp than other knives anyway) and the spoon & fork alone will weigh maybe 1.2 ounces; now you're down to 1/2 ounce more than the double ender from LMF. For a 1/2 ounce saving, I'll take a dedicated fork & spoon set any day over a spork. Just my $.02, YMMV

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 03:35 AM

http://www.humangear.com/gear/gobites

Just ran across this item at REI - a nested plastic fork and spoon which can be used separately and also joined securely end to end to give extra length. Don't know about weight,but one can always drill holes and grind the items down, etc. - might actually save 0.1 oz crazy
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 10:12 PM

Their Hobo seems much more practical. Knife, fork, & spoon that fold to the size of a medium folder and separate into three utensils.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 11:44 PM

Are you referencing the human gear site? They have an Uno, Duo, and Trio, but no Hobo..

Big deal, there are lots of options out there, especially if you come to a fork in the road.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/06/17 11:59 PM

Ka-Bar Hobo. It's a tad heavy to be competing with Sporks.

The HumanGear GoBites Duo & Trio look almost useable. Still, a titanium fork and spoon set is hard to beat; I have a few, different patterns, different manufacturers, all good.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 02:22 AM

I have not used this product but it seems good for when space is an issue.

http://www.swiss-advance.com/product/cutlery-set-knife-fork/

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 08:04 AM

Or if space is even more of an issue:
https://www.amazon.de/Card-Cutlery-Essbesteck-Feldessbesteck-Scheckkartenformat/dp/B0012KPNNG
It works Ok and is fairly easy to clean.

Or if you want to go in style:
https://www.amazon.de/Mittelalterliches-...keywords=pfriem

Unfortunately the tactical spork is illegal aroud here too. It´s considered as a weapon concealed as item of daily use.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 02:45 PM

Nice, aber ich nicht sprechen deutsche -- what's the long thing next to the knife? Is that a sharpening steel?

What do you really need? I don't really need a fork, chopsticks will do quite well, but I do want a good spoon -- Toaks Ti spoon is a tad longer than a standard teaspoon and according to one of the reviews, would make a good soupspoon. That and a pair of chopsticks of which I have many sets from past Chinese take-out -- good to go.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 03:28 PM

I don't speak German, either but I am curious about the translation of this word - verfügbar.

Handle with care - this is a family forum....

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 03:47 PM

"The HumanGear GoBites Duo & Trio look almost useable. Still, a titanium fork and spoon set is hard to beat; I have a few, different patterns, different manufacturers, all good"

I agree on titanium utensils. I have some full size ti spoons which I use regularly. they are abhorred by Mrs. Hikermor because, in her view, they are for "camping." true enough, but they are light, strong, and far less clunky than our regular tableware.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 04:06 PM

I can live without a fork, but I always carry a spoon, and of course a knife. I like a good stainless steel spoon. It is a bit heavier but can withstand abuse (yes, I have had occasion to dig with my spoon).

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 04:06 PM

I assume you mean the medieval set. The thing next to the knife is a bodkin. In medieval Europe it was used like a fork, i. e. to pick up solid food. In these times a bowl for soup (or a cavity in the table) and a spoon where usually provided by the host.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I don't speak German, either but I am curious about the translation of this word - verfügbar.

In a context specific translation it means "available". The entire text in that line would be "Currently not available".

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Handle with care - this is a family forum....

I may have to disapoint you and the kids wink. You did not learn a dirty word.

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 05:22 PM

Thank you very much for the instruction/clarification!!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Tactical spork - 05/07/17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

FWIW, KA-BAR can hardly keep them in stock. No idea if anyone buys it to actually use. Proof that some "gadget" freaks will buy almost anything. As a dyed-in-the-wool capitalist, more power to KA-BAR. :=)

And just so you know:

https://www.kabar.com/accessories/46

https://www.kabar.com/accessories/36

This is what happens when you think you order a ton of material but actually you ordered some significant quantity more by accident. Forget the actual quantities, but sorta like, "ok, now what do we do with all this?"