ice grippers

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

ice grippers - 02/01/17 12:46 AM

just a quick thought,while working my way along some really icy places at the local off leash dog park today it came to me that these would be handy for creek crossing.
the ones with the square metal nubs seem to work better than the coils.kept in a BOB they would be helpful in crossing over slippery rocks or working a tide line for food.
i'm thinking about taking them along on my next canoe trip for the times I have to wade the boat down shallow rapids.
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: ice grippers - 02/01/17 03:25 PM

having owned a good number of these, if you plan on only using them outdoors (because they damage floors) and/or on thick ice, i'd suggest more serious grippers: Kahtoola MicroSpikes

https://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MicroSpikes-Traction-System-Red/dp/B0010RHW2G/
Posted by: haertig

Re: ice grippers - 02/02/17 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
if you plan on only using them outdoors

I'd hope you only use them outdoors. If you need them indoors, I would consider turning up your heat a little!
Posted by: haertig

Re: ice grippers - 02/02/17 05:31 AM

I had a cheap pair of these type of grippers once. The problem I ran into, was that while they made me feel more stable on ice, they also made me feel less stable on bare concrete. Around here, we tend to go from icy patches to bare concrete. That, and it got to be a hassle putting them on and taking them off all the time. I didn't want to put them on inside, so I did it out on the front porch. Walked down the bare concrete stairs feeling less secure. On to the icy driveway where they were good, into the car where I didn't feel good about wearing them (thought it would tear up the accelerator and brake). Then through the icy parking lot to the store, take them off to go inside the store. You get the picture.

If you were in situations where you would be keeping them on for a long time I think they would be good. But I rapidly abandoned them in the suburban environment.

To canoedog's point - I think they would be very good while mucking around in water with a canoe. When I was younger I canoed a lot. And I DO remember those slippery rocks while dragging canoes through shallow areas. Many many slips and trips doing that!
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: ice grippers - 02/02/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
if you plan on only using them outdoors

I'd hope you only use them outdoors. If you need them indoors, I would consider turning up your heat a little!

haw haw laugh

in reality, even putting them on next to the front door left huge holes in the floor, as did putting them on standing while on the deck.

so what we have now is an old sheet of plywood laying on the deck where we can step right off onto the snow/ice.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: ice grippers - 02/02/17 04:06 PM

A cheap alternative for semi permanent use.

https://blog.owareusa.com/tag/running-shoes-for-ice/

(not good for wood floors. Wearing your caulks in the dining hall would bring the camp cookie to toss out your victuals and spit in the skillet.)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: ice grippers - 02/02/17 06:07 PM

Looks pretty sketchy......
Posted by: clearwater

Re: ice grippers - 02/03/17 05:29 PM

another link

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Also used by Brian Robinson on the first triple crown hike in a year of the the App. Crest and Divide trails.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: ice grippers - 02/03/17 07:24 PM

Anchorage often gets very icy in the winter. Most years we get one or more thaw episodes, during which the snow partially melts, then turns to ice when inevitably it gets cold again. Some years the whole town seems to become one big skating rink. frown

For casual around town use, such as walking the dog, my wife and I both use "Icebugs". We like the METRO BUGrip model. They work great. Icebug also makes a variety of other models, including running shoes. (Note: DO NOT walk on your hardwood floor with these!)

For really cold weather, or more serious hiking in icy conditions we like Kahtoola Microspikes, which were mentioned up thread. I have the extra large size, which will fit over my pac boots.

Based on personal experience, I highly recommend both products. All the usual disclaimers, I'm just a satisfied customer.