Donating Blood

Posted by: hikermor

Donating Blood - 12/20/16 04:53 PM

just returned from my regular blood donation, typically really needed at this time of year when demand is high and stocks are low as other considerations intrude.

I would suggest that you consider taking a few minutes, if you are eligible, to give blood yourself. It is fairly easy to do, and you provide an item of profound value, somehow appropriate at a time of gift giving.

Like so many other aspects of volunteerism, there is a real, if intangible benefit - the sure knowledge that you contribute substantially to the general well-being. I know that sounds kind of hokey, but the positive attitude that giving engenders is real and definite.

I have been a fairly regular blood donor for several years and there is very little one can do that is so simple and yet so valuable.

My darling spouse thinks I give blood just for the drinks and snacks that our center provides. Those don't hinder me at all, but there is really much more that I gain.
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: Donating Blood - 12/26/16 02:10 PM

Been a donor since 1993, lost count of gallons due to several transitions in the local blood donor groups and some records not being correctly forwarded. I look at donating blood as a very simple way of "paying it forward".

To donate a unit of blood normally takes about 1/2 an hour or so, and I strongly encourage folks to consider donating double platelets and similar donations where they can (double units may take about an hour).

My understanding is that a single unit of whole blood will normally help one person, and that a double platelet or similar donation may assist as many as 4 to 8 people.

Thank you for the group reminder to folks to donate.

Regards,
Comanche7
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Donating Blood - 01/08/17 08:19 PM

Proud to say I donate regularly.

Outdoor Quest

Re: Donating Blood - 01/08/17 08:34 PM

Just yesterday I received a brief note from my collection agency saying that my recently donated unit had gone to a hospital for use in a procedure (unspecified). This is the first time I have received any notification of the use of any donated blood. Kind of nice....
Posted by: leemann

Re: Donating Blood - 01/09/17 04:28 AM

I would if I could blood disorder so no I don't.

Re: Donating Blood - 01/10/17 01:03 AM

All the more reason why those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to donate, should consider doing so. Their ae all sorts of conditions that can render one ineligible temporarily or permanently.