Other uses for the multi tools that we carry....

Posted by: wildman800

Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/17/16 07:05 PM

I often make use of the pliers as a nut cracker. This has some definite drawbacks but it works nonetheless.

What other uses have yall accomplished with your multi tools that were probably never envisioned by the inventor?
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/17/16 08:12 PM

I once used a Leatherman (on a length of paracord) as a hook to retrieve a caulking gun that had slipped out of reach on a 45 degree roof. It worked!
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/18/16 12:00 AM

I magnetized some of my tools. That sometimes helps to retrieve small steel screws or springs from areas with difficult access. The magnetic force is strong enough to hold the parts but not strong enough to pin the tool to a steel frame.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/18/16 05:21 PM

I purchased my first leatherman (back in the 1980s) for a very specific application - the need to free up locking carabiners, which often jammed under heavy loads incurred during SAR operations.In fact, I had come to the point of carrying a pair of pliers just for that very purpose.

The l-tool eventually replaced the swiss army knife I had carried for years.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/19/16 08:32 PM

I use my LM squirt as a pill cutter.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/20/16 12:23 AM

I use the Victorinox Swiss Tool sheath/belt pouch as a discrete and inexpensive spare mag holder. Fits single stack or slightly staggered 9mm mags with 7 or 8 round capacity perfectly (tested with S&W 9mm Shield and Keltec PF9 mags). For shorter mags, you can make a cardboard spacer to slip in the bottom to raise the mag. Too narrow to fit full size higher capacity true double stack mags though.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-SwissT...ctorinox+sheath
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/20/16 11:51 AM

Hadn't thought about it, until haertig posted: I use a leatherman pouch to conceal a voicerecorder, at least until--and perhaps after--the bodycams appear...

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/20/16 11:19 PM

As a nod to urban sensitivities, I sometimes use a slim camera case with belt loop to hold a Leatherman and a light. People assume it's just a phone.

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/21/16 01:22 AM

IMHO, if a Leatherman and a light offend city dwellers, that's not "urban sensitivity", that's "urban stupidity". In reality, I do carry stuff in a small camera case. But that's because it's convenient, not because I'm worried about offending the random idiot here and there. How can these offended people have strayed so far from normal in their thought processes?

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/21/16 01:53 AM

Maybe so. But we've beat this to death before. wink

It gives me a lot more flexibility when I'm dressed in business-casual attire, which is most of the time I'm in a city. I need my Leatherman, but the standard sheath clashes with the "professional man" dress code. And being "respectable" -- well-dressed, well-groomed, and well-spoken -- helps smooth out a lot of problems, even if you're just returning something or waiting in a long checkout line. Staff will often make an extra effort to help you. It happens to me all the time.

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/21/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
the "professional man" dress code

OK, that makes sense somewhat. I'm in Colorado, which is notoriously informal. Even though I guess I'm supposedly a professional (Electrical Engineer - mostly Computer Geek) my work attire consists of Cabela's cargo shorts, a Carhartt T-shirt, suspenders, and Keen sandals. That's how us old fart Unix geeks are supposed to look (long ZZ Top style beard and ponytail are optional). You can't get much more "professional looking" than that! cool
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/21/16 07:10 AM

Anything carried on the belt offends my urban sensitivity. The idea of most semi-formal and business-casual attired is to draw attention AWAY from our growing waistline, not to emphasize it! laugh
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Other uses for the multi tools that we carry.... - 12/21/16 02:52 PM

One of the nice things about carrying the original, classic Leatherman PSK was the cordovan brown sheath - a perfect blend with the NPS uniform I wore at the time. Came in extremely handy many times.

Later on, in post retirement gigs, a holster on the belt seemed to work fine with business casual attire. During many elections,I worked for the county recruiting and training poll workers. Our cubicles were immediately adjacent to our warehouse space, where we also spent time, assembling supplies. Again the L-tool came in very handy and seemed appropriate in that environment. I became the "go to guy"because of my L-tool.