New Lantern

Posted by: norhumco

New Lantern - 10/30/16 04:16 AM

I'm looking to update/upgrade and replace an old D-cell battery powered lantern that has served me well for many years. It is primarily used to get from the house to the livestock and barn. Can the good people on this forum give me your 2 cents on a specific suggestion of lantern you use or wish you had bought. I have plenty of headlamps and flashlights. I'm not looking for compact, lightweight or tac. It just needs to be reliable, durable and throw a lot of light.
Thank you
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New Lantern - 10/30/16 01:15 PM

www.rei.com/product/896680/goal-zero-lighthouse-mini-lantern

Adjustable brightness - can throw 180 or 360 degrees - compact and reasonably light.Also serves as power source for cell phone or similar gadget. I haven't had mine long enough to comment on durability, but I am impressed. Useful on a daily basis and a good item for power outages and the like.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New Lantern - 10/30/16 01:40 PM

Lumora LED lantern uses 4 AA batteries rather than an 18650. I like the 18650 lights, but if you aren't already there, AA's may be a better option.
Posted by: Cauldronborn2

Re: New Lantern - 10/30/16 02:33 PM

Hi norhumco

I'm not sure what bulb type your current lantern uses but you might want consider looking at LED replacement bulbs.

Most of them just drop in like a normal bulb so you won't need to do any modifications to the lantern/flashlight but they can give you a real increase in light output and battery life.

You can usually find a wide range of different types on ebay quite cheaply.

I hope this helps.

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 02:31 PM

Hikermor - Is the 18650 battery in the GZ lighthouse mini a standard 18650 or does it have proprietary ends? I'm reading those batteries are not interchangeable with other 18650's such as those in a ThruNite TN-12.

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 04:55 PM

The battery is proprietary, with an interesting feature- both ends are flat and either end can be inserted first. Each end has identical positive and negative terminals, so reverse polarity isn't possible.

The same battery is used in the GZ Switch 10 recharger and perhaps in some of their other units - rated at 3000 Mah.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 05:19 PM

norhumco,

It sounds like you prefer a standard (large) lantern with a heavy duty carry handle. If that's the case, the small and lightweight backpacking/camping lanterns may not be for you. I know that Coleman LED lanterns aren't particularly sexy, but they tend to be big and robust.

If your existing lantern is still functional, Cauldronborn2's suggestion of a LED replacement bulb is an excellent option. You won't believe the improved quality of the light from the same lantern, and your battery life will quadruple.

If you can standardize on rechargeable AA's, I would highly recommend it. You will save a big bundle of cash over time. Even "D" lanterns can be adapted to AA's without much trouble if they use LED bulbs.

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 05:30 PM

Concur. I upgraded my 3-D Maglite to an LED bulb; the batteries have not died and are replaced as they time out. I really need a good set of rechargeable D batteries.

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 05:36 PM

I ditched my incandescent flashlight bulbs some time ago. LEDs are the way to go, especially for portable lighting, and probably for other applications, as well.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: New Lantern - 11/01/16 06:48 PM

Fenix makes a couple of CR123/18650 powered lanterns (CL25R, CL30R). Multimode, regulated, rechargeable, and weather resistant(IPX6). If I was looking for a one-and-done utility lantern, I'd give those a serious look.

Originally Posted By: Russ
Concur. I upgraded my 3-D Maglite to an LED bulb; the batteries have not died and are replaced as they time out. I really need a good set of rechargeable D batteries.

Energizer makes rechargeable D-cells, but they're only rated to 2500 mAh vs. 12,000 mAh for Alkaline. I strongly suspect that they are smaller NiMH cells in a D cell housing.

In your shoes, I would get Enloop AA NiMH. I know that Sanyo has their own D cell adaptors. If you're desperate, there are adaptors that can cram multiple, parallel, AA batteries into a D-sized shell. Caveat Emptor on those as I don't like parallel batteries without a pair of diodes to handle voltage mismatches.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: New Lantern - 11/02/16 01:42 PM

There are true D cell rechargable batteries, but i have yet to see a major name brand..

Odec 10,000 Ma
EBL 10,000
Powerex 11,000

Several have 4* plus reviews on Amazon..

httpshttps://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A%213760931%2Cn%3A15342811%2Cn%3A15745581%2Cn%3A389582011%2Cp_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A10063714011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A389572011%2Cp_72%3A1248903011&bbn=389582011&ie=UTF8&qid=1478094033&rnid=1248901011
Posted by: pforeman

Re: New Lantern - 11/03/16 01:13 AM

I just picked up this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44941-Siege-Lantern-Coyote/dp/B00OW5AK22

The amazon link is to the Streamlight brand lantern. It is bright enough for me taking the dog out and whatever around the place and I like that it keeps me in the AA battery range. I got mine at a sporting goods store for 20 bucks (Bass Pro Shop).

I also have a D cell lantern (another brand but a lot like this one) which is brighter but not as handy.

Paul -
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: New Lantern - 11/04/16 02:05 AM

Thanks for the report -- anything with the name Streamlight gets my attention. Not always bleeding edge, but they are build to last.

A key thought when buying any LED lantern: some of the early ones had horrible glare problems. 'Try before you buy' (or have a workable return plan) is very, very important.
Posted by: norhumco

Re: New Lantern - 11/19/16 05:39 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I went with the Streamlight Siege in D-cell. Just received it this week. I wanted to play with it before I posted. So far I'm very happy with it. I will not go into a break down here but it is sufficiently bright for it's size and appears to be plenty durable enough for my needs. I would have liked to have picked up the Alaskanite but doesn't seem to be available. I intend to swap out the bulb from old lantern with a LED to get some more mileage out of it.
Thanks again everyone for entertaining this inquiry. If anyone knows about the availability of the Alaskanite lantern let us know. It looks like a really good light.

norhumco

Re: New Lantern - 11/19/16 02:50 PM

Good choice. I was hesitant to buy a "D" cell Streamlight Siege because of the description specifying alkaline batteries. However, one of the comments I read indicated a Siege owner was using AA rechargeable's inside D cell adaptors, so I bought the Siege and used my 10KmAh rechargeable D cells. The lantern works great, lights up the entire room -- will be very useful for the next power outage.