Making Your Pack Food Taste Better

Posted by: bacpacjac

Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 06:19 PM

It's the time of year again where I go through my kits and rotate out the hot weather specific stuff and swap it for cold weather stuff. Part of this process is changing batteries, topping up fire kits, etc, but I also use it as a chance to change up the food options I carry.

I add more food at this time of year, and think more about cooking meals that I do during our few months of summer. Hot drinks and food go a long way to fighting the cold and hypothermia. They're also a huge morale boost and cooking is one of my favourite outdoor activities.

As I was repacking my main day hike kit this weekend, I switched up my main emergency food menu - sticking with just add boiling water rice/noodles/soup and foil-packed fish/chicken, but I added more calories and changed up the varieties.

I don't want to derail ATN's thread about what kind of emergency food we pack and store in our trunks. My question to you is: do you keep anything in your kits to make your food taste better? Not main or side dishes, but spices, seasonings, sweeteners, hot sauces, etc. You can survive well on boring, bland food but why? LOL!

When re-stocking my main day hike cooking kit this weekend, I decided on salt, pepper, honey, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, soy sauce and hot sauce as my always packed go tos. Other than the black pepper and hot sauce, these are all either in convenience packs from MREs/take-out food or have been re-packed into small containers at home. The pepper and hot sauce take up some room and weight but the rest packed easily within the containers I already had in my kit. The pepper is in a bottle with it's own grinder and the hot sauce was a gift from a friend, so they are indulgences I am willing to sacrifice for. wink (Edit to add that I also carry cooking oil in a 4 oz collapsible flask.)

My thinking is that these should work well to season whatever trip-specific meals I bring, and will also go nicely with the basics I keep in the pack for an unanticipated meal or two, as well as any wild edibles I catch or collect. (Not to mention, some of them can be used or combined to make a nice cup of tea.)

What your pack's panty, my fellow foodies?
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 07:52 PM

I think i do not qualify for the foody part. In the outdoors i'm just hungry and everything tastes good! No need for sauces.

I do make sure i mix things up, so i'm not eating the same thing the entire trip. But thats about it.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 08:24 PM

I keep a magic stove in the car all year, inside a coffee can, ~ 10 hot chocolates, 8 powdered cappuchino packets, and either lemonade mix or gatorade mix.

In the summer I just keep pop-tarts, cliff bars, and pre-packaged rice krispy treats.

In the winter I add in instant soup packets for more calories.

Thanks for the reminder- it is time to swap out the old stuff...

I don't keep spices in the car, though I will admit to grabbing every possible condiment when I at a good gas station for my office food supply....
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 08:27 PM

related- I have picked up some single use condiments and food supplies at minimus.biz (no relationship to them, just buyu stuff there)

It is a website that specialized in single serve items; I find it useful both for travel, and to try small quantities of new items before buying a large supply- very useful when looking for Gluten- Free stuff that my wife might like....
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 08:27 PM

Mom included Meals Ready to Eat and bottled water for the emergency kit in her car. An MRE has or should have everything pertaining to food.

I have decaffeinated coffee or a soda (usually caffeine-free soda) with a meal. Sometimes I've had milk or tea with a meal. I drink water all the time between meals; the only time I recall having plain water with a meal is at a vegetarian potluck. Drinking plain water with a meal is as appealing as eating baking soda.

Though the kit includes the PSP and matches, it does not have anything in it to heat water, therefore no coffee. A bottle of soda will just take up space and it does not store well, especially in a car.

Suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 09:15 PM

BPJ - I do a lot of mortar and pestle mixing/grinding of herbs/spices. I typically look at the ingredients at what I find good and look at the ingredients list. You will see that there are about 10-12 basic herbs/spices that you can make loads of different mixes with.

Try onion and garlic powder, oregano or Italian blend, paprika, I like chipolte or chili powder (they have distinct flavors differences:smoke and heat for chipotle and a little more earthiness and heat for chili powder), ginger, celery seeds, and coriander seeds. Of course black pepper you have ground yourself and coarse sea salt are required. Maybe dried orange peel.

Use a container/method of your choice for storage.
Check out this idea for storage: http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/quick-cheap-backpack-spice-kit-ideas-2/
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/17/16 09:22 PM

+1 for the spices. Need spices always and for everything! They are good for you as well.

Teas and coffee. A good hot drink is a great pick me up.

Even though it weighs more, I like to carry some fresh food for maybe 2 or 3 days into the hike. Breaking out a kielbasa and some potatoes, maybe some fresh fruit, is great after some days of hiking and trail food. Vacuum sealed fresh food will keep for a good while.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
BPJ - I do a lot of mortar and pestle mixing/grinding of herbs/spices. I typically look at the ingredients at what I find good and look at the ingredients list. You will see that there are about 10-12 basic herbs/spices that you can make loads of different mixes with.

Try onion and garlic powder, oregano or Italian blend, paprika, I like chipolte or chili powder (they have distinct flavors differences:smoke and heat for chipotle and a little more earthiness and heat for chili powder), ginger, celery seeds, and coriander seeds. Of course black pepper you have ground yourself and coarse sea salt are required. Maybe dried orange peel.

Use a container/method of your choice for storage.
Check out this idea for storage: http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/quick-cheap-backpack-spice-kit-ideas-2/

Nothing better than fresh, MoBOB! That's why I carry the little pepper mill. I've got one for sea salt too but usually leave it at home unless I'm planning to cook with fresh foods. Like Montanero, I like taking fresh foods on short trips. There's just nothing better! There's usually more weight involved but the upside is that you eat it! wink

Great link, MoBOB. Thanks!

I am on the hunt for a compact multi-spice container and there were some good suggestions in that link. Right now I'm using little plastic containers I found in the craft section at the dollar store. I've seen some pretty fancy set-ups but I'm think I'm going to land on the weekly med/pill holders. It's a cheap and easy solution.

As for what spices to carry you've hit on my conundrum: SO many options! I decided to go with simple seasonings that I can use as the building blocks to create other things. You've reminded me that I forgot onion. DOH! Thank you! Chipolte and chili powder are two that I use often and debated putting in my kit. I may still.

Mrs. Dash is also a classic. Also considered were those mixes like Cajun, Tex-Mex, Montreal steak spice, roasted garlic and peppers. This summer I also found maple bacon! (Really good but almost too sweet for me.) Manufacturers like Club House and McCormick are always inventing new flavour combinations and most grocery stores around here carry an assortment.

Once upon a time, I had a backpack solely dedicated to camp cooking. The ribbing I took because of it is where my nickname came from. I've come a long way since then but, as you can see, I'm still prone to being indecisive and over-packing. I whip up some pretty good chow though. smirk

Side note: I just bought my daughter her first canteen kit, and my son has now added a little billy pot to canteen kit and frying pan. Teaching them to cook is high on my priority list. wink
Posted by: Russ

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:12 PM

Thanks for reminding me of the mortar and pestle. I haven't used one in years but it is a simple tool that comes in extremely handy for making some things soluble that would otherwise just sit there. Spices are just for starts...

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
I think i do not qualify for the foody part. In the outdoors i'm just hungry and everything tastes good! No need for sauces.

I do make sure i mix things up, so i'm not eating the same thing the entire trip. But thats about it.

I totally agree, Tjin. Everything tastes better outside, especially when you're out there working hard. I love cooking, but ramen noodles often do the trick. They're light, cheap, easy to make, and I actually like them. It can get boring though, so like you, I try switch it up too. Something as easy as adding flavoured tuna or some peanut butter brings life to those noddles and adds extra calories and nutrients too. wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LCranston
I keep a magic stove in the car all year, inside a coffee can, ~ 10 hot chocolates, 8 powdered cappuchino packets, and either lemonade mix or gatorade mix.

In the summer I just keep pop-tarts, cliff bars, and pre-packaged rice krispy treats.

In the winter I add in instant soup packets for more calories.

Thanks for the reminder- it is time to swap out the old stuff...

I don't keep spices in the car, though I will admit to grabbing every possible condiment when I at a good gas station for my office food supply....

That's pretty much my menu for my vehicle kit too. It's basically a brew kit with ready to eat snacks and stuff I can cook/re-hydrate with boiling water.

I do the same thing with condiment packs - grab whatever I can when I can. They're just so darned convenient. Though I try to use recyclable containers for short hikes and things I use more of, they get heavy on longer treks and they do take up more space in my pack.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: LCranston
related- I have picked up some single use condiments and food supplies at minimus.biz (no relationship to them, just buyu stuff there)

It is a website that specialized in single serve items; I find it useful both for travel, and to try small quantities of new items before buying a large supply- very useful when looking for Gluten- Free stuff that my wife might like....

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Mom included Meals Ready to Eat and bottled water for the emergency kit in her car. An MRE has or should have everything pertaining to food.

I have decaffeinated coffee or a soda (usually caffeine-free soda) with a meal. Sometimes I've had milk or tea with a meal. I drink water all the time between meals; the only time I recall having plain water with a meal is at a vegetarian potluck. Drinking plain water with a meal is as appealing as eating baking soda.

Though the kit includes the PSP and matches, it does not have anything in it to heat water, therefore no coffee. A bottle of soda will just take up space and it does not store well, especially in a car.

Suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

MRE heaters might be worth checking out, Jeanette Isabelle. I've never used them but they look pretty easy to use and tailored to MREs. I believe you just need water and the MRE packaging. I'm not sure if MREs have decaf coffee but I imagine you could use a non-MRE coffee the same as you would the the coffee that comes in the kit.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks for reminding me of the mortar and pestle. I haven't used one in years but it is a simple tool that comes in extremely handy for making some things soluble that would otherwise just sit there. Spices are just for starts...

Right you are, Russ. Spices are just the start. I've been pondering this too, MoBOB. I know a camp chef who keeps a mortar and pestle in his camp chuck box. I imagine a knife pommel or a rock, along with a cook pot or bowl, could be made to work for this task... mmmm freshly ground spices...

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 02:59 PM

Very true, many items could be put to use replicating a mortar & pestle; the one I ordered online just makes it easier in the kitchen at home.
I'm thinking a river rock that is the right size and already smooth by tumbling in the river would make a good pestle -- roll it with the palm of your hand. A good pestle in the field would be any hard surface that would allow the mortar to roll over/crush the item and then contain the powder once ground. Simple.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 03:03 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned sriracha sauce! The garlicky spicy goodness will fix anything! Also, it seems to stay good without refrigeration. No preparation needed -- just squirt it out of a convenient bottle. It even comes in keychain size -- just put it next to your LED light:

[img:left]http://images.urbanoutfitters.com/is/image/UrbanOutfitters/37777646_069_d?$mlarge$&defaultImage=[/img]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

Hmm, how come the image isn't loading?

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 04:49 PM

I just saw this, Jeanette Isabelle, and thought you might find it interesting. Coffee in a Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNUwdRqiIs

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

MRE heaters might be worth checking out, Jeanette Isabelle. I've never used them but they look pretty easy to use and tailored to MREs. I believe you just need water and the MRE packaging. I'm not sure if MREs have decaf coffee but I imagine you could use a non-MRE coffee the same as you would the the coffee that comes in the kit.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I can't believe nobody has mentioned sriracha sauce! The garlicky spicy goodness will fix anything! Also, it seems to stay good without refrigeration. No preparation needed -- just squirt it out of a convenient bottle. It even comes in keychain size -- just put it next to your LED light:

[img:left]http://images.urbanoutfitters.com/is/image/UrbanOutfitters/37777646_069_d?$mlarge$&defaultImage=[/img]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

Hmm, how come the image isn't loading?

Great call!

One of my all time faves, Bing! I prefer Nando's peri peri hot sauce though. I'm currently using Texas Pete in my pack. It was a gift from a friend and pretty good. I think I prefer Sriracha though. wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 04:52 PM

Very true, many items could be put to use replicating a mortar & pestle; the one I ordered online just makes it easier in the kitchen at home.
I'm thinking a river rock that is the right size and already smooth by tumbling in the river would make a good mortar -- roll it with the palm of your hand. A good pestle in the field would be any hard surface that would allow the mortar to roll over/crush the item and then contain the powder once ground. Simple.

Good thinking, Russ. I think I'm going to try it out!

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 07:25 PM

I wasn't implying that you carry an M&P, but I suppose that there must be a way to improvise. Mine is a marble one; not very portable. I may just look around and see what could be small enough for the palm of the hand.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 07:29 PM

Found one - - - https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-691D-Porcelain-Mortar-Pestle/dp/B000P4SCQ0

Pretty small - 2.5 inch diameter, 1.5 inches tall.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 07:31 PM

So, if you carry an M&P with you in your backpack, do you go from being a camp cook to a camp chef?

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 07:58 PM

Nice, the one I ordered is stainless steel, both mortar & pestle. Things break around here and SS is recommended wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 08:34 PM

I wasn't implying that you carry an M&P, but I suppose that there must be a way to improvise. Mine is a marble one; not very portable. I may just look around and see what could be small enough for the palm of the hand.

I've got a marble one at home, along with a wooden one, but a you say, they're too big for the field unless car camping. A palm-sized version would be cool!

I think it's a brilliant idea to improvise one, MoBOB. I never really thought of it until you posted earlier. I use rocks all the time to crack open black walnuts and hazel nuts. I don't know why I never thought of using the same process for whole spices. DOH!

I had a similar thought about finding a tiny micro grater. Freshly grated cheese, nutmeg, garlic.... I'm going to end up with my old backpack again if I'm not careful. LOL! Perhaps I'll save this idea for serious camp cooking trips. wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 10:07 PM

So, if you carry an M&P with you in your backpack, do you go from being a camp cook to a camp chef?

AHAH! Maybe that's the ticket! I dropped some bacon on the fire a couple of winters ago so lost my camp chef status and nearly my camp cook designation as well. Of course the idea of sitting around the fire while they cook for me is very appealing - once they learn what they're doing. wink
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 10:41 PM

My favorite pistols are the Smith & Wesson M&P series. So I've had a little bit of cognitive dissonance from this discussion. Carry on.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 11:20 PM

MRE heaters are included; do they get water hot enough to make coffee?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 11:28 PM

MRE heaters are included; do they get water hot enough to make coffee?

Instant coffee? The word on that is "yes." Brewed coffee? A resounding no.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 11:32 PM

I just saw this, Jeanette Isabelle, and thought you might find it interesting. Coffee in a Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNUwdRqiIs

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw those online; I did not know they were that big.

I've used the following in the past when I needed decaffeinated coffee away from home.

http://www.minimus.biz/Folgers-Decaf-Coffee-Singles-F20-1207602-1100.aspx

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/18/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Instant coffee? The word on that is "yes." Brewed coffee? A resounding no.

Thanks. I'll add instant decaffeinated coffee to the emergency kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 12:24 AM

This story should start out "no s**t, swear to God", but on patrol when you could not cook even hot water, we just ate the instant coffee. When you need caffeine, you need caffeine!

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 01:44 AM

I've never been on patrol like that (Thank you for your service, by the way!) but there have been a few Scout camps when I resorted to eating coffee grounds with a swig of water. (Never trust a camp cook or chef who isn't a coffee drinker. LOL!) I dated a Canadian soldier once who said he preferred his that way, but it's far too uncivilized for me unless it's to ward off a weather-related headache or caffeine withdrawal.
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 02:23 AM

We use the M&P AR 556 at work and I too was having a bit of a mind warp for a second there.

Paul -
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 02:28 AM

I tried to figure out what would be good "car food" for just-in-case and came up with the lifeboat rations too. They seem to keep well and can be good for a real emergency.

I also keep a stash of the small half-size spam cans at work with some bottles of water and some small cans of v-8 juice. The new flat/foil packets of tuna are interesting to me but I have not done anything with them ... yet!

Tabasco was always a main stay in my day to add into food when out in the field and made a lot of meals more enjoyable.

Paul -
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 03:25 AM

Suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

www.rei.com/product/101658/nuun-people-for-bikes-mixed-hydration-tablets-package-of-4

The link is to one of many varieties of Nuun tablets, which basically provide electrolytes and mild flavors to plain water, leaving out the excessive sugar typically present in most sport drinks. I see that they are now also offering some tablets with sugar - you can customize the calories in your water depending on the situation.

I have been using these for a while and I find them rather pleasant, definitely a fine addition to straight H2O...

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

www.rei.com/product/101658/nuun-people-for-bikes-mixed-hydration-tablets-package-of-4

The link is to one of many varieties of Nuun tablets, which basically provide electrolytes and mild flavors to plain water, leaving out the excessive sugar typically present in most sport drinks. I see that they are now also offering some tablets with sugar - you can customize the calories in your water depending on the situation.

I have been using these for a while and I find them rather pleasant, definitely a fine addition to straight H2O...

I've seen these and wondered. I'm going to give them a try. Thanks hikermor!

In a similar vein, I recently tried Emergen C, and liked the flavour. Not sure if there are any electrolytes in it, but flavour and a shot of vitamin C seemed like a good step up from plain old water.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: pforeman

I also keep a stash of the small half-size spam cans at work...The new flat/foil packets of tuna are interesting to me but I have not done anything with them ... yet!

I wish we could find either of those, Paul. The grocery stores around here do bring in foil packed tuna occasionally, and I try to stock up. I've never seen those mini cans of Spam, or the single packs for that matter. Smoked salmon does seem to be part of the Canadian tourism industry, though, so it's not very hard to find backpack convenient packages of that instead of your fancy tuna, chicken, spam, etc. wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 07:38 PM

I was waiting for a gun comment because of the M&P reference.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 09:27 PM

One thing just occurred to me. . .

For short term quick energy, look for dextrose tabs. Usually found in the pharmacy area of the supermarket in the "diabetic" section. Around here they come in pocket tubes of 10 tabs or plastic jars of 50. Different flavors, e.g. orange, grape etc. They are intended for diabetics, as a quick fix for low blood sugar. Each tab is 4 grams of glucose, and gets to the blood stream directly (no digestion required).

So, if you are hungry, a couple of these tabs will give quench your hunger very quickly and give you some energy. That and some plain water will get you going. I keep a tube in by car all the time.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/19/16 10:45 PM

Per Calories in Dextrose, there are 106 calories per ounce of Dextrose or 4 calories per gram.

If a tab is 4 grams, that's about 16 calories and it takes roughly 100 calories to walk a mile -- that's about 6 or 7 tablets.

I'm sure these are excellent as a quick fix when you go low-sugar and need to stay conscious. They are not designed to keep you going on the trail.

Just my $.02

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/20/16 01:03 AM

Yeah, I have a similar concern about the application of dextrose. How is it different from any other sort of candy?
Posted by: bws48

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/20/16 12:09 PM

Dextrose tabs are definitely short term energy boost. Still, something you may want in your "bag of tricks." For longer term, I turn to peanut butter.

The key difference with candy, is that they are pure glucose (dextrose is simply glucose by another name). Candies usually turn to sucrose, which is about half glucose and half fructose, as Sucrose is much sweeter than glucose. It requires some digestion, and this is where the questions arise about the fructose, and it's possible involvement with a variety of heath problems. The same health questions apply to the high fructose corn syrup in many products. In terms of effect on the body, they have similar if not identical effects.

Rather than drink a can of soda pop or an energy drink, I think a couple of dextrose tabs and some plain water is as effective as an energy pickup without the potential long term effects of sucrose and/or high fructose corn syrup.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/22/16 12:32 PM

Am I the only one who picks up condiment packets at "restaurants"?
Chinese Take-Out: Soy sauce, Duck Sauce, hot mustard
Chick--Fil-A: Mayo
TacoBell: hot sauce
KFC: honey, although I do have a small jar in the pack
Arby's: barbeque sauce
Ketchup and yellow mustard most anywhere.
I have a small hardsided, plastic container to hold them.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/22/16 01:30 PM

No Uncle Goo, you are not alone.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/22/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Am I the only one who picks up condiment packets at "restaurants"?
Chinese Take-Out: Soy sauce, Duck Sauce, hot mustard
Chick--Fil-A: Mayo
TacoBell: hot sauce
KFC: honey, although I do have a small jar in the pack
Arby's: barbeque sauce
Ketchup and yellow mustard most anywhere.
I have a small hardsided, plastic container to hold them

I love condiment packs, Uncle Goo! I hate the packaging in terms of garbage, but they're just so convenient!

Here's a few more based on my location:

McDs/Wendy's/Tim's - peanut butter, jam, maple syrup, mayo
Nando's - peri peri hot sauce (my personal favourite)
Arbys - horseradish sauce, bbq sauce
Starbucks - honey, raw sugar
Thai/Vietnamese take-out restaurants - hoisin & srirachia
Take-out sushi places - wasabi, soy sauce, ginger

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/22/16 08:01 PM

Soy sauce is particularly useful when coming across leftover rice. Rice is a bit dry? Soy sauce to the rescue.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/23/16 07:30 PM

Soy sauce is particularly useful when coming across leftover rice. Rice is a bit dry? Soy sauce to the rescue.

Just remember, in the countries of origin for soy sauce, adding it to rice is a big cultural faux pas. Below is a video focused on Japan, but on the soy sauce thing it applies to other East Asian nations.

Gaijin tip #22: no soy sauce on rice

The video mentions other things you can put on your rice. Furikake is another idea to make your pack food taste better, though it's designed to work with starch only (rice and noodles). There are also a lot of preserved foods in Asian cuisines that survive well without refrigeration, and that is meant to increase your appetite.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/23/16 08:32 PM

Does rum count?

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 02:17 AM

Rum always counts!

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 12:02 PM

I added a little Fireball whiskey to my fire kit. wink

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 12:10 PM

I added a flask of Jameson Irish Whiskey, but strictly for medicinal purposes. cool

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 01:19 PM

Russ, will you be my doctor?

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 01:49 PM

LOL you'll need to get your own flask. Currently working up the correct proportions for an Irish latte ... smile

Last time I had the sniffles I discovered that Jameson's beat out every bourbon behind the bar in making a hot toddy.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, those weekly pill holders are not airtight. Not the best for storing spices long term. At least put them in a ziplock bag, or better yet, vacuum seal them until you need them.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/24/16 04:01 PM

My own flask! /what kind of a clinic are you running?

I did get my flu shot yesterday - that should take care of most of the sniffles....

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/25/16 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Unfortunately, those weekly pill holders are not airtight. Not the best for storing spices long term. At least put them in a ziplock bag, or better yet, vacuum seal them until you need them.

Right you are. Back to the drawing board I go. I used to use the straw method, which I learned here on ETS. It works ok but not resealable and a bit fussy to make.

Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better - 10/25/16 11:40 AM

LOL you'll need to get your own flask. Currently working up the correct proportions for an Irish latte ... smile

Last time I had the sniffles I discovered that Jameson's beat out every bourbon behind the bar in making a hot toddy.

MMM!! I was thinking hot toddy when I picked cinnamon whiskey but Jameson's is so much better for that. I tried using Fireball with an orange and spice tea , and it was good, but really needed a shot of lemon.