Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse

Posted by: Bingley

Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/05/16 03:05 PM

Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse, The Atlantic
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/05/16 06:32 PM

Those conclusions are definitely not rocket science!
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/06/16 09:18 PM

Not rocket science, but looking at certain historic events, probably not to far off the mark. I'm referring to the events at the end of the Roman Empire (Economic polarization and an ineffective legislature). Also, the French and American revolutions where the common masses (the have nots) were overloaded by supporting, and severely dissatisfied with, an out of touch ruling oligarchy(the haves).

IMHO, economic and political polarization, along with an ineffective legislation, are the fuel and oxygen for a revolution. I'm not going to say more because I will start to rant.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/07/16 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

smile NASA says it doesn't think that at all smile
NASA 14-082 Statement on Sustainability Study

a little more searching finds study name and links NASA study: Way to save Western civilization is PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. | The Daily Caller
links this perfect-storm-paper.pdf FOOD, ENERGY, WATER AND THE CLIMATE: A PERFECT STORM OF GLOBAL EVENTS? By John Beddington CMG FRS Chief Scientific Adviser to HM Government mpst.beddington@bis.gsi.gov.uk

don't panic nasa-collapse-study What did that ‘NASA-funded collapse study’ really say?

How the whole population explosion thing plays out can be seen in Haiti
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/07/16 03:15 PM

I've read a few interesting pieces in The Atlantic.

But this one seems like a complete fabrication -- the kind of thing you'd expect in an overheated blog rather than a grown-up publication.

NASA was quick to point out that it had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/07/16 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I've read a few interesting pieces in The Atlantic.

But this one seems like a complete fabrication -- the kind of thing you'd expect in an overheated blog rather than a grown-up publication.

NASA was quick to point out that it had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Bleep! I just responded to FUD. You think after all these years, I'd have known to run down the original content/article instead of relying on a dressed up repost.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 09:39 AM

> Also, the French and American revolutions where the common
> masses (the have nots) were overloaded by supporting, and >severely dissatisfied with, an out of touch ruling >oligarchy(the haves).

The US population could remove their inneffective legislature by voting and end inequality by voting for people who would change taxation. I think that would happen before society collapsed.

qjs
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 01:56 PM

Err, qjs, I'd stay away from politics if I were you. It's a time of great ill-temper for our American neighbours.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 02:44 PM

Not for those of us who have tuned out. Jazz on FM never sounded so good.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 05:30 PM

dougwalkabout wrote:

> Err, qjs, I'd stay away from politics if I were you. It's a time of great ill-temper for our American neighbours.

Good advice doug. Hence I didn't lay any blame for the inneffectivenness and inequality.

qjs

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 05:34 PM

Lucky for you. The local Jazz station just went off the air. Good thing I have a decent collection of Swing and Blues CDs (I hate smooth jazz).

And, yes. Now is a very good time to stay away from American Politics. I'm feeling pretty nihilistic about the current state of affairs, and I don't think I'm alone.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/08/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
... I'm feeling pretty nihilistic about the current state of affairs, and I don't think I'm alone.
Nihilism is a bit extreme; however disgust across the board is quite appropriate.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/09/16 03:54 AM

Best that we leave the current political mess out of it. As for the OP, I think it hits the mark dead on. That is a pretty astute observation of how potentially Western civilization could end. However, the one nit that I'll pick is that I don't it's entirely accurate to lump that many nations together under such a large umbrella.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/09/16 04:28 AM

Thanks, Phaedrus. I don't have expertise in societal collapse, but I feel that examining historical precedents is probably about the best thing we can do. Too many TEOWAWKI people prepare based on their fears rather than knowledge about the rise and fall of human civilizations.

I'm glad someone pointed out the irresponsible reporting that misrepresents NASA's role in the study.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/09/16 01:19 PM

I don't have expertise in societal collapse

I spat coffee when I read this. You've been super-funny (at least, to me) in the last couple of weeks.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse - 09/09/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I don't have expertise in societal collapse

I spat coffee when I read this. You've been super-funny (at least, to me) in the last couple of weeks.

Agreed. Thanks for the smiles, Bing!!