Survival Camp for Kids

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Survival Camp for Kids - 07/10/16 05:38 PM

In the age of bubble wrap and and helicopter parenting, here's a refreshing twist:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/pare...rticle30789490/
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Survival Camp for Kids - 07/10/16 10:15 PM

Nice!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival Camp for Kids - 07/11/16 06:22 PM

Even Boy Scouts does not teach survival to kids that young, and they really should. Survival skills can be taught at an age appropriate level, and all kids can benefit from it. I would also recommend that their parents get some good training also!

Getting kids out in the woods has many benefits, and teaching them these skills will boost their confidence and comfort level.

There should be more of these types of opportunities.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Survival Camp for Kids - 07/11/16 09:29 PM

I agree, kids are never too young to be learning about the outdoors and that includes survival along with search and rescue skills.

This past Wednesday, the team leader of North Shore Rescue (one of Canada's premier SAR teams) was about to partake in a hike with his young daughters and their 2 friends when a rescue situation developed. Being the good SAR dad, he took his young entourage along with him and they were able to see and participate in their very first SAR call-out and eventual rescue.

I am sure that the rescue will leave an everlasting impression on those young girls for the rest of their lives.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Survival Camp for Kids - 07/11/16 11:57 PM

Survival can mean something different to a city kid. I know a father who taught his young son what to do if someone should try to kidnap him. Sad to say, the son actually had an occasion to put the knowledge into practice. Fortunately, it worked and the bad guy didn't succeed.