If you see a bear...

Posted by: Bingley

If you see a bear... - 05/07/16 05:06 PM

"What to Do if You See a Bear"

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/what-to-do-if-you-see-a-bear

Hint: do not get survival tips from the New Yorker.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/07/16 05:24 PM

Rather imprecise. What do they mean by "standard brown"? Hasn't the New Yorker heard of a Munsell Color Chart?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/07/16 06:07 PM

Here's what I'm teaching my three year old, step two of being bear wise. (No food in the tent was first, for no reason other than the fact that that's the first step we got to with her.)

Go to 2:22 to see the bearwise specific clip. wink
Note: We have black bears in our play area.

Rainy Day at Camp Living Room - Dryland training for the young.

Posted by: clearwater

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/09/16 02:34 PM

"There is a story told by one of the Elders of a tribe not far from here, from years ago when she was very young. Several of the children were out gathering acorns with one of the adults when they heard the sound of a bear coming from the other side of some bushes. The children always enjoyed sneaking up on the black bears in order to jump up, scare the bears and watch them run away in terror. They had no fear of these bears and thought of them as big scared bunny rabbits. As they prepared for their traditional ‘game’ the supervising adult saw that it was a grizzly instead of a black bear. She quickly but quietly told them to “Stand like sticks!” The children then realized this was the other kind of bear and were so afraid they wanted to run as fast as they could to get away but their guardian held them there, motionless, until long after the big bear had departed. Many of their people had been killed or severely injured by these big grizzly bears. No one they knew had ever been killed by a black bear. And, even to this day, no one in California (or Nevada) has been killed by a black bear."

http://www.savebears.org/info/annsInsights/howdangerousare.htm
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/24/16 11:06 PM

There is a reason I don't pay much attention to what is printed in the New Yorker.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/25/16 12:36 AM

Well, it was in the Humour Section...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/25/16 05:33 AM

There's a lot of fine, thoughtful stuff in the New Yorker.

And then there's the piece noted above. So it goes.
Posted by: Russ

Re: If you see a bear... - 05/25/16 11:29 AM

But you gotta like the comics -- Food taking a picture of itself!
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/02/16 09:24 AM

This is from an unnamed source so it must be true:

'Woman Stops Grizzly Attack– With .25 Cal Pistol.

This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy pistol by a woman against a fierce predator.

"While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my boyfriend we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of nowhere. She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.
If I had not had my little .25 Beretta with me I would not be here today!
Just one shot to my boyfriend’s knee cap was all it took!!!!!
The bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace."

qjs

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/02/16 07:59 PM

LOL, that's a variation on an old joke: "I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun YOU!"

The story falls apart from there, of course. (Starting with the firearm in question, in this jurisdiction; and continuing into "running from a bear" etc. etc.)

Still, it's a good chuckle. laugh
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/18/16 03:20 AM

I'm still thinking about that fried rice in BPJ's video.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/18/16 11:14 AM

haha! It's so good, Byrd! wink Great way to use up left-over rice!
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/22/16 08:29 PM

What about if you run over the bear on your bicycle?
http://ktla.com/2016/06/20/mountain-biker-slams-into-bear-in-freak-collision-caught-on-video/
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/23/16 01:41 AM

Also don't leave food in your vehicle.

Police in West Vancouver have released photos of a car that they believe was torn apart by a black bear this weekend.

The photos show the rear passenger door of the car ripped back, its frame bent, side airbags trashed and seats shredded.

The attack was reported Sunday at a home in the upscale British Properties, and officers estimate damage at about $10,000.

Re: If you see a bear... - 06/23/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

The photos show the rear passenger door of the car ripped back, its frame bent, side airbags trashed and seats shredded.

I saw that too. It's a sobering reminder of how bloody powerful these animals are. I doubt that kind of damage to a Lexus will stop at $10K -- that's just the appetizer.

And now we have a "fed" bear. Stand by for the inevitable sequel. frown