AAR - Camping with Great Nephews

Posted by: wildman800

AAR - Camping with Great Nephews - 04/11/16 12:48 AM

I just returned from camping with my nephew (30's) and his two boys (6 & 8). We went to a recreational camping/fishing area run by the La. State Dept of Agriculture and Forestry just South of Alexandria, La (Indian Creek Recreational Area).

I executed the following menu:
CAMPING MENU

FRIDAY
SUPPER
Hotdogs
Hotdog buns
Mayo, mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper
Chili
Potato chips

SATURDAY
BREAKFAST
Scrambled eggs
Biscuits
Bacon

LUNCH
Vienna sausages
Ritz crackers
Cheese

SUPPER
Hamburger & beans
Rice
Smores

SUNDAY
BREAKFAST
Scrambled eggs
Biscuits
Bacon
Grits or oatmeal

LUNCH
Lunchables

MISCELLANEOUS
Case of water
Cokes
Mountain Dew
Coffee
Milk
Ziplock bags (qt & gal)
Garbage bags
Firewood
Ice
Plastic wear
Paper plates
Paper towel

With my usual talent, I managed to burn the biscuits each morning. I did much better this morning though by using charcoal briquets to cook breakfast. The briquets were much better that using firewood type coals on the lid of the dutch oven.

Thank you Bacpacjac for your "camping in" video. Because of that video, I did remember to get whistles for my great nephews to wear during the day. I also had them bring a stuffed animal with them. I started their building of a camping kit by providing them with Lexan cups, bowls, Spoons, Forks, and a Bota bag for each.

The younguns are well disciplined/behaved lads who spent most of an afternoon digging for buried treasure after I broke out an entrenching tool for them to practice/play with. This search ended up as a geocaching experience for them both.

Overall, the adults had a relaxing time and the boys have been introduced to camping.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: AAR - Camping with Great Nephews - 04/11/16 02:21 AM

Outstanding.
Posted by: leemann

Re: AAR - Camping with Great Nephews - 04/11/16 05:24 AM

Fantastic.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: AAR - Camping with Great Nephews - 04/12/16 04:01 AM

That reminds me -- I must have some hot dogs now!