AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park

Posted by: wildman800

AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/08/16 01:45 AM

DW and I went dayhiking and tinder hunting at Bayou Chicot State Park, La. We were on some great trails with moderate hills. The only tinder we found was some completely dried out, termite eaten, paper like pine that I will test tomorrow to prove whether it will light up from ferrocium rod sparks or not. We took MRE's for lunch but never got hungry after the breakfast we put away this morning. The only cattails we saw were in somebody's front yard. We'll try the North Azalea Trail SW of Alexandria, La the next time we head out. We had perfect weather, clear skies, temps in the upper 50's, and dry, clean trails!

Re: AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/10/16 01:34 PM

The stuff I found will take a spark but is punky. It would be a start as long as I have a bird's nest ready.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/11/16 03:11 AM

Tinder hunting? That's a respectable hobby IMO.

Any pictures or links? I'm from Aspen Parkland / Boreal Forest country, and know exactly what I'm looking for in my area. But when it comes to West Coast rainforest or Louisiana bayou, I recognize that I'm semi-clueless. Wouldn't mind some pointers.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/11/16 01:29 PM

Love me a good tinder hunt! Like Doug, I'm comfy finding resources in my area, but I know I'd be challenged in a bayou or rainforest. Theory and reality do not always meet in the middle. Pointers would be great!!

Re: AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/11/16 03:42 PM

Jacqui, you'd be surprised how easily you'd adapt to Bayou Country. The terrain is not dissimilar to where you are. The main difference is the climate and type of trees. We don't have any birch down here. You have many distant relatives down here that have thrived down here. Les Français sont difficiles et s'y adapter partout avec facilité!

Re: AAR - Dayhiking at Bayou Chicot State Park - 02/11/16 04:50 PM

BTW Jacqui, I borrowed the title of "Tinder Hunting" from you!