Random Stories

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Random Stories - 01/04/16 06:28 PM

Note: In another forum, now a virtual ghost town, spontaneous stories would pop up. Literally, with no planning or structure, stories pertaining to the subject of the thread would form. Rather than hijack the flashlight thread, I thought it best to move it to its own thread. I have no idea what will happen; I'm curious to see where it goes.

Jeanette, a twenty-nine-year-old single woman, attends her first flashalcoholics anonymous meeting. Her hair, a shade darker than auburn, is in a ponytail, a style she has worn since she was a child. Her emerald green eyes hide behind her glasses.

In her purse, at her feet, is her first MAG-LITE: a black incandescent flashlight converted with a LED insert and powered by two D cells. The scuffmarks on it not only serve as a testament to its craftsmanship; also tells a story of a time the lamp stayed on during a rather painful accident.

Originally Posted By: Russ
"Hi, I'm Russ and I'm a flashaholic"

"Hi Russ." Jeanette says in unison with the others who are currently seated.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Russ

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 06:47 PM

It's really nothing serious, I can stop any time I want. Any time... just not yet. wink

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 09:07 PM

Dr. Ross, a nationally recognized expert on flashalcoholism who has written a book on the subject, leads the group. "Russ, let me ask you, do you want to stop?"

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 09:22 PM

Chaosmagnet mutters, quietly, "No. I shouldn't even be here today."
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 09:28 PM

honest.... before the 2004/2005 hurricane events here in Florida, I had only two LED flashlights... a Gerber Infinity and Photon Micro, and was as happy as a clam with an incandescent Sure Fire 6P, a couple of Mag Lights and a Tupperware box of batteries... the switch to Eneloops for standardization was a lessons learned.. I gave 25 Fenix E01/E05s two years ago for Christmas...7 Solar Force L2s the year before

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Dr. Ross, a nationally recognized expert on flashalcoholism who has written a book on the subject, leads the group. "Russ, let me ask you, do you want to stop?"
No, I guess I don't. As my fellow flashaholics will testify, it's not a bad addiction and I shouldn't be here either.

Now if I was to give "7 Solar Force L2" flashlights as Christmas presents then I might think I had a problem -- unless of course I lived in Florida and had gone through a few severe and sustained power outages, and had 7 friends who didn't have decent flashlights. But if I was that guy I'd consider those fairly reasonable gifts, generous too.

But back to the question, I can stop whenever I want, anytime I want -- now's just not the time. smile
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 10:10 PM

I'm a bit of a fflashlight junkie although I only have 25 to 30 good lights. My focus has long been quality over quantity. I'm a big believer in weapon mounted lights so that has expanded my collection as well.

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 10:45 PM

Dr. Ross does not let Chaosmagnet's muttering disrupt the session. He sees LesSnyder raise a hand. "Yes, LesSnyder?"

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
honest.... before the 2004/2005 hurricane events here in Florida, I had only two LED flashlights... a Gerber Infinity and Photon Micro, and was as happy as a clam with an incandescent Sure Fire 6P, a couple of Mag Lights and a Tupperware box of batteries... the switch to Eneloops for standardization was a lessons learned.. I gave 25 Fenix E01/E05s two years ago for Christmas...7 Solar Force L2s the year before

"Don't you think you are encouraging others in your addiction?" Dr. Ross asks.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/04/16 10:50 PM

No, I guess I don't. As my fellow flashaholics will testify, it's not a bad addiction and I shouldn't be here either.

Now if I was to give "7 Solar Force L2" flashlights as Christmas presents then I might think I had a problem -- unless of course I lived in Florida and had gone through a few severe and sustained power outages, and had 7 friends who didn't have decent flashlights. But if I was that guy I'd consider those fairly reasonable gifts, generous too.

But back to the question, I can stop whenever I want, anytime I want -- now's just not the time. smile

"Why do you believe you shouldn't stop?" Dr. Ross asks.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 12:29 AM

Dr. Ross sees Phaedrus raise a hand. "Yes, Phaedrus?"

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm a bit of a fflashlight junkie although I only have 25 to 30 good lights. My focus has long been quality over quantity. I'm a big believer in weapon mounted lights so that has expanded my collection as well.

"Only twenty-five to thirty? Do you believe that is too many and why do you believe you must expand your . . . collection?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 01:23 AM

Hmmm, 25 to 30 lights? I really don't belong here -- yet. I've got some serious catching up to do wink

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 03:54 AM

Hmmm, 25 to 30 lights? I really don't belong here -- yet. I've got some serious catching up to do wink

"Do you believe, that because you don't as many flashlights as someone else, you are not a flashalcoholic? And you believe you need to catch up with someone who has consumed more flashlights as apposed to getting help?"

Jeanette raises her hand.

"Yes, Jeanette?" Dr. Ross responds.

Jeanette puts her hand down. "When I was nineteen, I sat down with a nationally recognized expert in dissociative disorders. Not only does he have the same last name as you, what I'm seeing now is a lot like what I experienced then. Dissociation is called a 'disorder' when in actuality the mind protects the person from painful experiences."

"We're drifting; I'll address your comment. Patients with dissociative disorders have trouble functioning in society."

"Doctor, I know this session is about addictions to flashlights. Using myself as an example, I bought a MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instrument Inc. was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO. To address your reply, I do know some people with dissociative behaviors have trouble functioning in society; from my perspective I function better when my mind is protecting me from nightmares and painful emotions. By 2010 I had thought the other Dr. Ross and Dr. Gotway had completely messed with my mind. I would be washing dishes one moment and the next I would be on the kitchen floor crying and I experienced nightmares as recent as 2014, all of them were about the same person. I believe now my dissociative mind is doing its job again. Last night I rented the movie Meet the Robinsons and for the first time in years I cried tears of joy at the end of the movie. I cried because I was happy for the protagonist. It's a wonderful feeling. I don't understand why that needs to be 'fixed.'" Jeanette retrieves her MAG-LITE, stands up and proudly shows the scratch marks on it. "It was the day after my twenty-first birthday. It was a warm afternoon in January so I thought I didn't need a jacket. I attended a bridal shower. That night my youngest sister and I cleaned up. The trash needed to be taken out and it was dark so I brought my flashlight. I opened the door. It was cold. I ran with the bag of trash in one hand and my flashlight in the other. I threw the bag of trash into the dumpster and ran back to the building where it's warm. As I was running on the sidewalk to get out of the cold ASAP, my foot hits a crack and this MAG-LITE flies out of my hand and hits the concrete." Jeanette cringes as she tells her story. "My right knee is the first to hit the concrete. Next my left knee hits the concrete and slides. Not only did I put two holes in a nice pair of black slacks, I was on the sidewalk in so much pain I thought I had broken something. The fact it was cold suddenly did not matter as much. As soon as I was able to move my legs, I determined I did not break anything. My youngest sister helps me back in the building where I use my modified first aid kit to do a little first aid. During the entire time, the lamp stayed on. So you see Doc, this MAG-LITE holds a special significance. Both of us suffered the same punishment but this MAG-LITE continued to shine."

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 05:25 PM

[Comes running into the meeting, late as usual]

Hi everyone

[sheepishly realizes he forgot to remove his headlamp before stepping into the room]
Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 09:43 PM

[Craig raises his hand]
My name is Craig.
Should I be here?
If I am dressed there is a flashlight in my pocket.
Every Christmas I give my sister a flashlight of some sort.
And she gives me one.
We have a little mantra "He who dies with the most flashlights wins."
I guess I will stay here a while.
I suppose she should be here too.

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 11:13 PM

Dr. Ross looks at Jeanette who is clearly no stranger to psychology. "You said you bought a MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instrument Inc. was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO. Would you be willing to let go of your MAG-LITE PRO?"

"I certainly would not throw away a perfectly good flashlight." Jeanette answers.

"Would you let it go for a good cause?" Dr. Ross continues.

Jeanette thinks about the question. "If I knew it was for a good cause, I would."

"Including the MAG-LITE PRO and the MAG-LITE you're holding in your hand, how many flashlights do you own?"

"Three." Jeanette answers.

"In the order in which you acquired your current flashlights, which is the MAG-LITE you are currently holding?"

"Among my current flashlights, this is the first." Jeanette answers.

"The MAG-LITE PRO?"

"That is my latest." Jeanette answers.

"What is your other flashlight, which would be your second?"

"It is a MAG-LITE 3-Cell D LED."

"You already had a MAG-LITE, the one you're holding in hand, why did you need a second MAG-LITE?"

"It had a run time of eighty hours. Eighty hours, at the same brightness level as the 2-Cell version, is very efficient. In terms of operation cost, I'm getting a good deal."

"Having acquired your second MAG-LITE, a flashlight so efficient you're getting a lot of bang for your buck in terms of operation cost, why keep your first MAG-LITE?"

Jeanette looks the doctor in the eyes and answers with a very matter-of-fact tone. "It holds a special significance."

"Why does it hold a special significance?"

"The lamp stayed on even after it flew out of my hand and bounced on the concrete."

"There's a reason you are holding to that accident but that is something that goes beyond the scope of this session."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/05/16 11:58 PM

Chaosmagnet mutters, "I have three flashlights on my person."

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 12:30 AM

Yeah, I hear ya, I take three flashlights dog walking. One 1xAA Fenix on my belt, an 1xAA 4Sevens Mini in my front right pocket and a 2xAA light with more throw in my jacket or vest. Recently I added an 18650 Thrulite TN12 to test. Now I may be taking four lights. It's nice to have options and spares. smile

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_F
[Comes running into the meeting, late as usual]

Hi everyone

[sheepishly realizes he forgot to remove his headlamp before stepping into the room]

Dr. Ross looks at Mark and points to his own forehead as an indication to Mark to remove his headlamp without bring further attention to it.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
[Craig raises his hand]
My name is Craig.
Should I be here?
If I am dressed there is a flashlight in my pocket.
Every Christmas I give my sister a flashlight of some sort.
And she gives me one.
We have a little mantra "He who dies with the most flashlights wins."
I guess I will stay here a while.
I suppose she should be here too.

Dr. Ross acknowledges Craig. "Why do you believe life is about who has the most flashlights?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:17 AM

Jeanette sits down.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Chaosmagnet mutters, "I have three flashlights on my person."

"Chaosmagnet, minutes ago you quietly expressed that you feel you shouldn't be here. Now you state you have as many flashlights on your person as Miss Jeanette has total. Why do you feel you need three flashlights on your person?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:27 AM

During the therapy session, Jeanette gets an automated call reminding her of her psychiatric appointment. After she puts away her cell phone, she gets another automated call telling her she won a free cruise to the Bahamas. She hangs up.

If the robot caller said she won a free railway excursion, she would have accepted it.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:34 AM

Yeah, I hear ya, I take three flashlights dog walking. One 1xAA Fenix on my belt, an 1xAA 4Sevens Mini in my front right pocket and a 2xAA light with more throw in my jacket or vest. Recently I added an 18650 Thrulite TN12 to test. Now I may be taking four lights. It's nice to have options and spares. smile

"Russ. Just how many functions and spares do you need to walk your dog?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:45 AM

Let's see... The light on my belt is primary for bagging the poop -- I can hold it in my teeth freeing both hands; the other 1xAA is back-up.

Then there's coyotes and at times at the coyotes discretion they visit the park in the dark. I like a light with reach to see them and now that I think about it, that's a critical function so it needs a back-up too. So I'd say four lights would be minimum and since I dislike accepting minimums, five.

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 02:21 AM

"Chaosmagnet, minutes ago you quietly expressed that you feel you shouldn't be here. Now you state you have as many flashlights on your person as Miss Jeanette has total. Why do you feel you need three flashlights on your person?"

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor quizzically. "I didn't say I needed any of them." He draws a short black cylinder from one pocket. "This one runs up to seven days on low and over 900 lumens on high. In addition to using it at work I train to use it with a handgun in low light shooting situations."

The short black cylinder goes back in the pocket, and out comes a keyring from a different pocket. Chaosmagnet indicates a shorter, thinner, greyish silver cylinder hanging from the keyring. "This one is a backup. Once, during a tornado, the lights went out and my daughter started to cry. Because I had a backup flashlight with me I was able to leave her with a light so she'd be less scared, while I collected her younger sister to get her to the tornado shelter."

The keyring goes back in the pocket, and from his backpack a small oblong device is withdrawn. "This is handy for finding things in my backpack, or for leaving on in a very low mode while staying in a hotel, which I do frequently for work. It wasn't that long ago that the hotel I was staying in caught fire while I was sleeping -- this light guided me to my pants, shoes and other things so that I could get out of the hotel quickly and safely."

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor levelly. "I don't need any of these, but I have found them quite useful. I like to be equipped appropriately for adverse events."
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 07:57 AM

on canoe trips i have several flash lights.a small LED on a
cord attached to my shirt pocket button hole.thats the light
to find a light.another is a Pal light,one of those 9 volt jobs
in a rubber case that runs with a dim glow even when off.that go's
in the net pouch in the tent where i keep my glasses and bear spray so i can find them fast in the dark.a head lamp of course and a $9 three AAA's by Dorcy that i got at a bait shop just before
i pushed off on a trip last year,oops thats four.that AAA job throws a better beam than the lamp i used 30 years ago with the
huge square battery.
oh ya there is the candle lamp and a small Gaz lamp.you never
have enough light alone in bear country!!!

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:07 PM

Let's see... The light on my belt is primary for bagging the poop -- I can hold it in my teeth freeing both hands; the other 1xAA is back-up.

Then there's coyotes and at times at the coyotes discretion they visit the park in the dark. I like a light with reach to see them and now that I think about it, that's a critical function so it needs a back-up too. So I'd say four lights would be minimum and since I dislike accepting minimums, five.

"Russ, I can't help you if you are unwilling to change."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:23 PM

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor quizzically. "I didn't say I needed any of them." He draws a short black cylinder from one pocket. "This one runs up to seven days on low and over 900 lumens on high. In addition to using it at work I train to use it with a handgun in low light shooting situations."

The short black cylinder goes back in the pocket, and out comes a keyring from a different pocket. Chaosmagnet indicates a shorter, thinner, greyish silver cylinder hanging from the keyring. "This one is a backup. Once, during a tornado, the lights went out and my daughter started to cry. Because I had a backup flashlight with me I was able to leave her with a light so she'd be less scared, while I collected her younger sister to get her to the tornado shelter."

The keyring goes back in the pocket, and from his backpack a small oblong device is withdrawn. "This is handy for finding things in my backpack, or for leaving on in a very low mode while staying in a hotel, which I do frequently for work. It wasn't that long ago that the hotel I was staying in caught fire while I was sleeping -- this light guided me to my pants, shoes and other things so that I could get out of the hotel quickly and safely."

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor levelly. "I don't need any of these, but I have found them quite useful. I like to be equipped appropriately for adverse events."

"I'm glad to hear you say you don't need them. Nevertheless, you do have three flashlights on your person and you go into why find each of them useful."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:40 PM

"I'm glad to hear you say you don't need them. Nevertheless, you do have three flashlights on your person and you go into why find each of them useful."

"The way you asked the question, I thought you were asking me what my psychological need was for the flashlights.

"Maybe I'm in the wrong room. I was told that Surefire was going to be here and the first ten people would get a free Titan Plus."

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
on canoe trips i have several flash lights.a small LED on a
cord attached to my shirt pocket button hole.thats the light
to find a light.another is a Pal light,one of those 9 volt jobs
in a rubber case that runs with a dim glow even when off.that go's
in the net pouch in the tent where i keep my glasses and bear spray so i can find them fast in the dark.a head lamp of course and a $9 three AAA's by Dorcy that i got at a bait shop just before
i pushed off on a trip last year,oops thats four.that AAA job throws a better beam than the lamp i used 30 years ago with the
huge square battery.
oh ya there is the candle lamp and a small Gaz lamp.you never
have enough light alone in bear country!!!

"What I'm hearing is you need a light to find a light which is used to find yet another light. Plus you have fourth flashlight because you take trips in bear country. You are obviously getting something out of going into bear country. Otherwise you wouldn't be doing it."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 01:51 PM

"The way you asked the question, I thought you were asking me what my psychological need was for the flashlights.

"Maybe I'm in the wrong room. I was told that Surefire was going to be here and the first ten people would get a free Titan Plus."

"We are here to understand why you feel you need to have so many flashlights.

"No, we don't give out free flashlights in this place."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 02:34 PM

"We are here to understand why you feel you need to have so many flashlights.

"No, we don't give out free flashlights in this place."

"Again, with the implication that there's a psychological need. I've explained the actual uses. Thanks for the chat, good meeting everyone, I've gotta go find that Surefire event." Chaosmagnet gets up, shoulders his backpack, and moves towards the exit.

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 02:56 PM

"Again, with the implication that there's a psychological need. I've explained the actual uses. Thanks for the chat, good meeting everyone, I've gotta go find that Surefire event." Chaosmagnet gets up, shoulders his backpack, and moves towards the exit.

"Chaos magnet, before you go," the MAG-LITE girl asks, "what is the runtime of the Titan Plus?"

"Jeanette," Dr. Ross says, "we are here to reduce our dependence on flashlights."

"My second MAG-LITE has a runtime of eighty hours. I want to know if there is a more efficient flashlight."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 03:11 PM

... "Russ, I can't help you if you are unwilling to change." ...

Thanks, I just came for the coffee. [walks to the back of the room to freshen his cup]

I am willing to change as long as things actually improve, but fewer lights is not necessarily an improvement. I'm not sure why folks think I need help with my flashlight addiction; when I look around the room I see a need to catch up. smile

That said, I'll be retiring my Fenix L2T soon. I have a Surefire 6P clone with 650 lumen LED that will fill the coyote spotting role. I'm keeping the Fenix L1D, but since the Thrunite TN12 can cover both Low and High output requirements, it will serve as back-up for both of the other lights. So I'll be down to three lights for my morning walks. See, change is good.

The coffee is good too, who made this ... oh, yeah, that would be me cool

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 03:33 PM

Jeanette follows Russ to the coffee. Before she pours herself a cup of Joe, she turns to Chaosmagnet. "Want some coffee before you leave?"

She helps herself to the decaffeinated coffee and fixes it they way she likes it: extra cream, no sugar.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 03:53 PM

"what is the runtime of the Titan Plus?"

"Jeanette," Dr. Ross says, "we are here to reduce our dependence on flashlights."

"My second MAG-LITE has a runtime of eighty hours. I want to know if there is a more efficient flashlight."

Chaosmagnet stops and waits through this exchange. "The Titan Plus is a keyring flashlight topping out at 300 lumens. On low mode it runs only for seven hours, so not as impressive as it might be in that department."

Quote:
"Want some coffee before you leave?"

Chaosmagnet smiles. "No, thank you, I come pre-caffeinated."

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 04:09 PM

Jeanette nods in response to Chaosmagnet's latest comment and looks to Russ. "I really don't see a need to catch up simply because others have more flashlights. I'm not saying this because I have three flashlights. If we were talking about first aid kits, some may say I'm a bit obsessive; that's because building first aid kits is a hobby of mine."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 05:11 PM

That's a subjective judgement; the need to acquire more flashlights is not determined by others having more flashlights, but it does tend to imply that I may not have a flashlight addiction. I'm not seeing the number of lights I have as a problem and I may continue to get additional lights.

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 08:24 PM

Jeanette thinks about what Russ said. "Three flashlights may not be considered a problem according to your logic." She approaches the group with her cup of coffee. "Doctor, briefly you focused on my MAG-LITE PRO. May I ask why?"

"You said you bought the MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instruments was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO." Dr. Ross answers. "Did you feel you would miss out if you did not hurry up and get the MAG-LITE PRO?"

"Yes." Jeanette answers.

"Have you been in a situation where you missed out on an opportunity because, for whatever the reason, the timing did not work out for you?"

"Yes." Jeanette answers.

"You didn't like that feeling, did you?"

"I didn't."

"You made sure you'd never miss out on an opportunity again. Did the MAG-LITE PRO satisfy your expectations?"

"Not really. It was a bit of a let down."

"Are you willing to let go of it?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Doctor, we're not talking a plastic flashlight from a dollar store that may or may not work. This is a MAG-LITE. As evident by my first MAG-LITE, the lamp will stay on even as it bounces on the concrete."

"So you place value on it?"

"Yes, of course. If you want to buy it from me at fair market value, you can have it. Or, if I know someone who really needs a flashlight, he or she can have it. I'm not tossing it away as if it were some $1 disposable flashlight." Jeanette returns to resume her conversation with Russ. "For the sake of discussion, I have two flashlights. As the doc put it, I still have my first MAG-LITE because I'm holding onto an accident that happened years ago. Therefore, a person may have an issue with as little as two flashlights so numbers really don't mean much."

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Alex

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 08:28 PM

Outside of the "Stories" bounds: IMO, 5 are needed because there is no single ideal flashlight for everyone and everything has been produced so far. But see my 3D printing thread for a possible solution I'm researching. However, I would disagree on a mandatory EDC flashlight backups. A good EDC flashlight should not require a backup. It must be virtually indestructible and warn the user about its power source depletion well in advance (or allow quick and easy battery replacement with an EDC or widely available spare - that's what I prefer; I plan to make a shell for my EDC 1xAA with the spare AA compartment integrated).

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 08:37 PM

Okaaaay... Since I have no problem carrying four flashlights, I certainly don't see an issue with someone having two or three. If someone has a single light that fills all their needs I'm okay with that, it's a subjective call.

OTOH, if you decide to purchase a fourth Mag-Lite or a light from Fenix, 4Sevens, Nitecore, Thrunite or one of the many other quality lights on the market, I would not think it unusual for you to either keep the Mag-Lite for use or box it up and store it away (just in case). IMO you don't have a flashlight problem. I'm not sure any of us have a flashlight "problem".

Re: Random Stories - 01/06/16 09:01 PM

"That describes how I feel about my disassociation. The doc here and other health care professionals would call it a disorder; I don't."

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 04:45 AM

I rarely carry more than two lights on my person at the same time, unless I'm camping or hiking.

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 02:08 PM

After some awkward silence, Jeanette makes a suggestion to Russ. "I saw some arcade games on the first floor. How about we skip this session?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 05:44 PM

enabler for Russ enters...if you want to spot coyotes and additionally give them a little night blindness... one of the M3 heads from Solar Force might be a fun purchase... a little pricy, but comes with an XM-L2 3 mode module... with the extension tube for an extra 123 providing 9v, you can simulate the Trinity test shot...with a low voltage XP-G R5 and a single 18650... not too much larger than a 6P package

my work here is done

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 05:54 PM

Thanks Les, none of us has a problem wink
I saw that SolarForce head and the extension tube for a second 18650 -- 1500 Lumen. I may do that once I have the body currently inbound up and working.

Roughly $80 for both the K3 head and tube.

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 08:37 PM

Jeanette remains, standing, having received no response from Russ. "If you don't like games, that's fine. It was a suggestion."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 10:05 PM

Hey, ya been busy, missed the meeting. But since none of us have a real flashlight problem, I'm thinking the good Dr Ross can just meet with himself. He seems to be the only person in the room with a real flashlight issue.
Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Re: Random Stories - 01/07/16 10:52 PM

[Craig wakes from his daydream with a start.]

Sorry folks, didn't mean to be rude. I was just thinking about my Quark123. This wonderful little tool fits comfortably in my jeans watch pocket yet I can go outside on the darkest knight and easily light up deer and other wildlife in my back yard out to 25 yards and more. I still marvel at that capability.

When I was a kid 50 years ago my grandfather showed me his pen light and told me he never goes out without it. As an adult I came to understand his wisdom. I use the flashlight nearly every day.

But to answer your question Dr. Ross, life is not about flashlights. My sister and I joke about them but they are so darn useful for every day situations. Frequently people ask to borrow mine. Why are they too lazy to carry one themselves? They are the ones with the problem.

Or is life really about flashlights after all? Or light anyway? Is not light the embodiment of all that is good? A light in the night is comforting, warding off evil. Dare I mention that Jesus was called the light of the world?

Of all the things one could be fascinated with surely light and goodness and safety and comfort can't be bad.

Besides, I can stop anytime I want to. Really I can...

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 12:57 AM

Hey, ya been busy, missed the meeting. But since none of us have a real flashlight problem, I'm thinking the good Dr Ross can just meet with himself. He seems to be the only person in the room with a real flashlight issue.

"As I was saying, I saw some arcade games on the first floor. I did not see all that they have; I hope they have Sugar Rush, the only game I play."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
But to answer your question Dr. Ross, life is not about flashlights. My sister and I joke about them but they are so darn useful for every day situations. Frequently people ask to borrow mine. Why are they too lazy to carry one themselves? They are the ones with the problem.

"I don't know if it is laziness." Jeanette says to Craig. "This bag allows me to carry something as big as 3 D-cell MAG-LITE."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 02:07 AM

Yeah, I've never had any interest in arcade games, but have fun. I'm not a gamer at all.

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 01:20 PM

This meeting is turning into a real dud; Jeanette does not if she should go off on her own to play a video game or stick around and find out what others may be interested in. At least two people, Jeanette and Russ, have found something they are interested in: coffee.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 02:23 PM

Coffeeee...

Good coffee too, not that stuff you find preground in a 2# can at the supermarket. Arabica beans, medium or dark roast, still in the bean so you grind it just before brewing. The latest container of beans I've opened are a medium roast 100% Kona; normally I brew up 100% Colombian medium roast, but I saw the Kona on the shelf and went for it. Kona is spendy though, I'll go back to Colombian Supremo when the Kona is gone.

I'm not even close to over-the-top on coffee, but I prefer good coffee to flat. I brew it manually with a small pot. I bring the water almost to a boil and pour it over the ground beans into a separate pot (Melitta pot & filter combo). From reading on various sites, the water hitting the coffee should be between 195 and 205 degrees F. Below 195 the coffee will be weak, above 205 the coffee will become more acidic.

The reason I don't use an automatic drip machine is that the water goes into the middle and those grounds get used up, while the grounds on the fringe get used less. With the manual system, I can pour the water such that all the grounds are used evenly. I can also control temperature better.

Dad made coffee with an old percolator. Essentially boiling the coffee over and over, strong but I have no idea how acidic. I couldn't drink it. It would be interesting to compare pH of coffee made with a percolator and coffee made as described above.

Mmmm, it's almost time....

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 02:59 PM

"Funny you now mentioned the coffee." Jeanette says. "I was just thinking about the coffee."

Note: My previous post contained only narrative, no dialog.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 04:08 PM

[casually uses foot to push totes full of assorted headlamps, flashlights, key chain lights, etc into hiding]

Nope, no one here with a flashlight problem

[whistles innocently]

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 04:21 PM

I like a good cup of coffee but it has to be freshly brewed. In the past I'd make a large pot and have a cup and when I "freshened" the cup with more coffee, it wasn't as good, the flavor was "off". Now I brew just enough coffee for one (large) cup (a Venti mug I bought at St@r8uck5 (no affiliation other than as an occasional customer)).
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 04:28 PM

My wife and I are beginning to get a bit more fussy about our tea and coffee and we often see directions that require temperatures just below boiling for both beverages. How do you control for the right temperature? stir with an armored thermometer??

This may be slightly off-topic....

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 05:15 PM

Boil in a non-pressurized pot and the temp won't go over 212F. Pouring the water should bring the temp down to 205'ish.

I use a thermometer and bring the temp up to 200F -- halfway between 195 and 205. It works for me.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My wife and I are beginning to get a bit more fussy about our tea and coffee and we often see directions that require temperatures just below boiling for both beverages. How do you control for the right temperature? stir with an armored thermometer??

I have this ultimate solution for like 7 years already. The hot preboiled water is available 24/7 at the exact temp you need (we drink mostly tea) with almost zero effort.

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 06:14 PM

"When I lived in Duncanville, a suburb of Dallas, I would get a cup of decaf at Race Track. It must be an embarrassment to local places that serve coffee that a gas station has the best decaffeinated coffee in town."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/08/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Note: This thread is called "Random Stories" for a reason. Moving the subject from flashlights to coffee is perfectly legit.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 04:30 PM

Les -- caved to the pressure and ordered a K3 head with an extension tube to allow a second 18650. In my haste I ordered two Nitecore 18650 2600mAh batteries, this will be a good light for them.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 05:26 PM

Coffeeee...

I really enjoy my morning coffee. About 2 or 3 years ago I switched from the drip/filter system to the "French Press" coffee maker. IMO, it makes the best coffee as the coffee is surrounded by the water. I pour the water in over the grounds, and let the coffee soak 4 to five minutes.

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 06:37 PM

Anyone for gourmet instant Via (Italian Roast)?

my taste buds were shot off in the war....

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 09:15 PM

"I feel like we need something to go with this coffee." With her cup of decaf, Jeanette stands among the small gathering talking Java. She looks at hikermor with a quizzical expression. "Your taste buds were shot off?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 09:22 PM

"Yes," Hikermor sheepishly relied..."It's actually an advantage when you eat Army chow."

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 09:33 PM

Jeanette considers what it would take to shoot one's taste buds. The problem, she considers, is that such a shot would damage other areas. "Where exactly were you shot?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 10:45 PM

I like Via. It is one of the few instants that actually tastes like good coffee. That's what I keep in the kits I take walking.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Random Stories - 01/09/16 11:56 PM

Hereīs me making coffee. Canīt remember the coffe brand but it is some italian and very dark roast.

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:13 AM

Jeanette smiles. She came here to discuss flashlights; she's having more fun talking coffee. "Good set up, Herman. That's how you make coffee."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:14 AM

Russ... please do a follow up report on the K3

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:21 AM

I like Via. It is one of the few instants that actually tastes like good coffee. That's what I keep in the kits I take walking.

Jeanette retrieves a coffee bag from her bag.

http://www.minimus.biz/Folgers-Decaf-Coffee-Singles-F20-1207602-1100.aspx

"I have no affiliation," Jeanette says to Russ, "when I'm out and need a cup of decaf, this is what I use."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:45 AM

Russ smiles and remarks, "What is this decaf you talk about, I thought we were discussing coffee." smile

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:49 AM

"I have to go easy on the caffeine."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:53 AM

Will do. I'll probably start a new thread. 1500 lumens should be an eye opener.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 01:03 AM

That's how you make coffee."

Jeanette Isabelle

Aha, and thatīs the way the cookie crumbles. smile
(Iīm a Jim Carrey-fan)

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 01:33 AM

"We can use some tunes to go with this coffee. Hit it, Frankie."

Frankie and his band jazz it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j32plFjfRqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5OLdLq7wg

Jeanette and others applaud.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen." Frankie introduces the next singer. "I now would like to introduce the lovely Minako Obata."

Jeanette and others applaud as Minako Obata steps up to the mike. The band starts playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXjbp1rKdFc

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 06:25 AM

My flashlights historically end up "running away" or getting kidnapped by a relative of the much-maligned Sock Monster. I must, therefore, purchase more, right? Does this make me a terrible flashaholic parent? {I think I need Pepsi and a hug}
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Hereīs me making coffee. Canīt remember the coffe brand but it is some italian and very dark roast.

There is a red Mini Maglite missing in the my house right now and it's driving me a little insane. It was in it's sheath on a shelf in the kitchen on Christmas day, hoping for an LED upgrade, and now there is just an empty sheath. No randsom note. No sign of it in all it's usual hangouts. All SAR activities have turned up empty. I feel the need to fill the void with another Peztl e+ Lite headlamp that's on my wish list for my EDC, but thanks to this thread I want one of these espresso makers instead of a new light.

What have you guys done to me with this thread?!?

I love Starbucks VIA, but hate carrying cream and sugar, so I usually use Nescafe 2-in-1 or, for a special treat, Starbucks and Nescafe both make an instant latte, and they're both pretty good. In fact, I'm sure there's at least one in my bushcraft bag. I think I'll abandon the search for the mag and go put on a pot of water. wink

Thanks for the inspiration!! Someone named me has a birthday in a few weeks and I think I might just treat myself!

Re: Random Stories - 01/10/16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Thanks for the inspiration!! Someone named me has a birthday in a few weeks and I think I might just treat myself!

"I have a birthday in a couple of weeks. I'll be turning thirty."

"Did someone say 'birthday?'" Frankie of Frankie and the Frogs asks. "Hit it, fellows."

Jeanette stops the music. "No one is having a birthday today. It's a couple of weeks away."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/12/16 01:09 AM

"How about one more number before we take care of business?" Frankie asks.

"How about 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine?'" Jeanette asks.

Frankie and the Frogs begin to play "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" with Frankie presenting new lyrics to a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tavElehKDwc

Outside, two band members throw Doris in the trunk of a black sedan with the license plate RIB IT.

Frankie snaps his fingers and the two band members close the trunk. Doris now sleeps with the fishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-PTkQqGsFk

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/13/16 03:20 AM

Jeanette looks out the window and sees what's happening. She turns around and looks to the others in the meeting. "Frankie and the Frogs are mafia frogs."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Random Stories - 01/16/16 01:31 AM

Jeanette forgets about the mafia frogs and gets back to her coffee. She notices a cookie jar in the form of a mouse holding a teddy bear that reminds her of Melinda Mouse.

Jeanette lifts the top of the cookie jar. "That's where they keep the tea bags." She returns the lid of the cookie jar. "Canoe, don't you have a cookie jar like this one?"

Jeanette Isabelle