Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail

Posted by: bacpacjac

Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/28/15 08:39 PM

Calling on the collective wisdom of the ETS brain hive!

A friend and I have decided to hike the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in B.C. and I could really use your help. The trip is a couple of years off, but with my young kiddos and current employment/financial situation, that's the perfect amount of time to plan and accumulate and test the gear I need I'm looking for practical advice but think of of it as a creative thought experiment, if you like. We've got two years to "play" with.

Have any of you done the West Coast Trail? (Teslinhiker, maybe?) Any big trail/west coast thru-hikers with common trail advice to share? Specifically, I'm looking to for your help to:

1) Buy a personal locator beacon, which will work on this trail specifically - and hopefully in my home territory in South Easter Ontario, Canada.

2) Upgrade to more lightweight gear, specifically the big ticket items like boots, pack, tent, sleep system, tarp, etc. I've got a tight budget, so I'm looking for the best bang of the buck without having to take out a second mortgage. DIY stuff is a family hobby so fire away with the suggestions!

3) Curb my over-packing tendencies and take what I'll need with a bit of comfort and a security blanket. wink

We're planning an early season trek of the 75-km trail, hitting the trail head in May, before peak season hits, and we're thinking of allowing ourselves a week to ten days, for girl-talk, photo ops and general decompression.

Advice? Thanks for the help, my friends!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/28/15 10:26 PM

This should be an interesting and informative discussion.

I have not done the trail and most of my experience has been in more arid conditions, so it will be worthwhile to read what those more familiar with those conditions have to say...

Whatever gear you select, be familiar with it well before the trip - boots well broken in, etc....

I have found that a conditioning program,mostly running, has made long backpacks much more enjoyable.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/28/15 10:33 PM

No experience with this trail, but first, I think you should lay down some "known" things for planning, e.g.,
1. Have your friends done this trail before?, If so, what were their experiences?
2. What time of year, or more importantly, what type of weather? What is the worst weather you could reasonably encounter?
3. How remote is it, e.g. cell phone coverage along the trail or not?
4. How long do you expect to be "out" on the trail?
5. What is the worst case? How long before rescue?
6. "Trail" suggests it is a traveled/known route; What are the experiences of others?
7. Are the backpack kids on the trip or not? And how does that change planning?

In short, I suggest that the devil is in the details. Don't try to prep for TEOWAKI, but make some plans for the conditions you might reasonably encounter. If the trail is, say 3 days from a worst case rescue, don't plan to restart civilization.

You are right in asking for advice/assistance: that is the first step!

Also, a quick search revealed a website about this trail that states "All Persons Planning to hike the West Coast Trail must read and understand the material in this guide to prepare for their hike" . . . " It has the reputation of being one of the most grueling treks in North America. It is isolated, strenuous, physically challenging and potentially hazardous" . . ."Hiking the WCT demands stamina and expertise in hiking and backcountry camping skills. Only competent backpackers should attempt the entire route. You are required to cross deep gullies on fallen trees, negotiate very steep slopes and follow an irregular, slippery trail. This is a wilderness area and it may be many hours before help can be obtained should an accident occur. All hikers should carefully evaluate their individual and group abilities before attempting the route." So, it sounds like your question/concerns justify careful planning. Quote from: http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/trail_guidebook_map.htm

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 12:13 AM

I hope so hikermor! I hike a lot but I'm rookie at this distance and in this environment. Other than the basics of hiking, I'm considering myself a newbie on this one!

Research, conditioning, gear testing will be the biggest parts of my prep. I've never done a trip of this scale before, so I'm taking all the advice I can get and spending the next two years trying to assimilate it all. (i.e. I am a chronic over-packer so I need all the help I can get.)

As an aside, 75 kms is about as long a big-out trek as I can reasonably contemplate, so that's an added layer of thought in this experience, but I'll put that off to reflect upon on the conclusion of the trip.

Thanks for the idea of adding running to my routine. I started a walk-to-run program a year or so ago, and it messed with my knee, so I slowed down and went back to hiking regularly with a loaded pack. It's working! My distance, time and general condition are improving again after a substantial lay-off. After more than a year of hardly hiking at all, it's great to be back on the trail and I can hardly wait for this trip!

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 12:19 AM

I forgot to add that the backpackiddos are not coming on this trip. It'll just be the two of us with our families at home keeping up electronically.

Neither of us have done the trail before, but we've both lived in B.C. and have friends and family who have done it. We're soaking up their recollections!

Cell phone and GPS coverage are at the top of our priorities list. This isn't intended to be a survival epic. It's a popular, well-hiked trail, so there is lots of anecdotal stories and research to study.

I read this too, and doesn't it sound perfect?! We're both experience hikers, and are looking forward to this challenge. We aren't taking it lightly, believe me!

Quote:
" . . . " It has the reputation of being one of the most grueling treks in North America. It is isolated, strenuous, physically challenging and potentially hazardous" . . ."Hiking the WCT demands stamina and expertise in hiking and backcountry camping skills. Only competent backpackers should attempt the entire route. You are required to cross deep gullies on fallen trees, negotiate very steep slopes and follow an irregular, slippery trail. This is a wilderness area and it may be many hours before help can be obtained should an accident occur. All hikers should carefully evaluate their individual and group abilities before attempting the route." So, it sounds like your question/concerns justify careful planning. Quote from: http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/trail_guidebook_map.htm

EDIT: That sounded "rose-couloured glasses" didn't it? wink Not taking it lightly!
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 02:54 AM

i just looked thru the trails web site and it sounds like a major adventure,cable cars!!!???
all i can think of at this point is too have a small Gaz lamp along for heat.i know on canoe trips when i have got cool and damp,ok wet,after a day on the lakes and carrys that getting into my MSR shelter with a lamp on low warmed me fast.

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I started a walk-to-run program a year or so ago, and it messed with my knee, so I slowed down and went back to hiking regularly with a loaded pack. It's working! My distance, time and general condition are improving again after a substantial lay-off.

If knees are an issue, and sooner or later they will be consider adding in some cycling -primarily for cardiovascular benefits. What you are doing will work just fine, as you are discovering.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 04:09 AM

Quite the choice for a hike!

I am probably one of the few on this forum that has hiked the WCT and that was about 15 years ago. Even though we went near the end of June, unfortunately for us, it was cold, wet and miserable and we almost bailed a couple of times. I have no desire to do the trail again as I am not fond of humid rain forest hiking for days on end, even if the scenery and experience is outstanding of which the WCT is known for.

Others have already given you general advise that can apply to most trails but there are many specifics to the WCT that you may already have found in your research. In your research, you will probably have read that the WCT can be a tough and demanding trail, both physically and mentally so don't take this lightly. Be prepared for rain, wind, fog, mud, high humidity (you will never feel dry), blisters and sore backs.

On the flip side, the trail can be a real scenic and enjoyable trip when the weather cooperates. Either way, if you complete the trip (many people fail) you will have a lifetime of memories and photos so take a good quality camera (not a cell phone) with extra batteries and SD cards if applicable.

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway. You need to be in great hiking condition. This means, your body is used to carrying a pack for hours and days on end. Of course, the same goes for your feet. There is a big difference between good general walking condition and good hiking conditioned feet. Also waterproof and breathable boots are a must. You don't need big mountaineer style boots but a good mid style hiking boot will suffice. Also quick drying, synthetic clothing is a must and a light waterproof/breathable jacket will make a big difference in comfort level.

Some general links:

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim Preserve website Note that one of the pdf links has a list of rules that must be followed and Parks Canada will readily enforce if they see or hear of anyone abusing the rules.

Google search of Clubtread.com and west coast trail specific info. Clubtread is a local forum that has years of trail and hiking reports, especially from the southwestern BC and Vancouver Island areas. This is without a doubt, the best place for any up to date info. I also happen to hang out there a lot.

West Coast Trail Wikipedia page
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 04:37 AM

Sounds like a good time! Have fun and be safe.
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 01:15 PM

Sounds like a great trip! As far as gear goes, have you considered a quilt instead of a sleeping bag? The insulation under you gets compressed anyway, so the theory is that you might as well eliminate that to save weight. There are quite a few small manufacturers of backpacking quilts, and none of them are cheap, but check out Enlightened Equipment. They make both down and synthetic insulated quilts, and for the wet environment you will be in I would probably go synthetic (it's also much less expensive) even though it is heavier and bulkier. Actually, these quilts are made to order--you get to pick the temperature rating, length (nice for a short person like me), width and colors! Thinking about places to get gear less expensively once you know what you want, check out www.geartrade.com and of course Ebay. As far as shoes go, personal preference plays a big role--some people (and I am one of them) prefer to hike in trail running shoes rather than heavy boots…with waterproof boots your feet will probably still be wet from sweat, and lighter lower-cut shoes help you be more nimble. Wool socks are good since they lose less insulating value when they get wet.

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Quite the choice for a hike!

I am probably one of the few on this forum that has hiked the WCT and that was about 15 years ago. Even though we went near the end of June, unfortunately for us, it was cold, wet and miserable and we almost bailed a couple of times. I have no desire to do the trail again as I am not fond of humid rain forest hiking for days on end, even if the scenery and experience is outstanding of which the WCT is known for.

Others have already given you general advise that can apply to most trails but there are many specifics to the WCT that you may already have found in your research. In your research, you will probably have read that the WCT can be a tough and demanding trail, both physically and mentally so don't take this lightly. Be prepared for rain, wind, fog, mud, high humidity (you will never feel dry), blisters and sore backs.

On the flip side, the trail can be a real scenic and enjoyable trip when the weather cooperates. Either way, if you complete the trip (many people fail) you will have a lifetime of memories and photos so take a good quality camera (not a cell phone) with extra batteries and SD cards if applicable.

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway. You need to be in great hiking condition. This means, your body is used to carrying a pack for hours and days on end. Of course, the same goes for your feet. There is a big difference between good general walking condition and good hiking conditioned feet. Also waterproof and breathable boots are a must. You don't need big mountaineer style boots but a good mid style hiking boot will suffice. Also quick drying, synthetic clothing is a must and a light waterproof/breathable jacket will make a big difference in comfort level.

Some general links:

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim Preserve website Note that one of the pdf links has a list of rules that must be followed and Parks Canada will readily enforce if they see or hear of anyone abusing the rules.

Google search of Clubtread.com and west coast trail specific info. Clubtread is a local forum that has years of trail and hiking reports, especially from the southwestern BC and Vancouver Island areas. This is without a doubt, the best place for any up to date info. I also happen to hang out there a lot.

West Coast Trail Wikipedia page

Thanks so much, John. I thought maybe you might have some personal experience with this one. I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

This will be my trip of a lifetime. It's been on my bucket list for a long time and it'll be a great 50th birthday present for me. wink It's a gnarly route, and might be totally miserable, but we intend to be well-prepared for the potential misery. Two years of training and planning seems reasonable.

My thoughts on clothing and footwear mimic yours. Synthetic all the way, me thinks. I am a fan of wool, and it's worth it's weight in gold in my neck of the wood, but it's too heavy for this trek. A merino layer for bed will probably make the cut, but I'm on the hunt of new clothing.

A lot of hikers chose lighter weight shoes but I prefer a mid style boot. (My ankles aren't as young as they used to be.) I'm currently using a pair of Merrel mids and love them, but they're about ready to be replaced but they don't make this model anymore. Does anyone have a favourite they can suggest?

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i just looked thru the trails web site and it sounds like a major adventure,cable cars!!!???
all i can think of at this point is too have a small Gaz lamp along for heat.i know on canoe trips when i have got cool and damp,ok wet,after a day on the lakes and carrys that getting into my MSR shelter with a lamp on low warmed me fast.

Thanks canoedogs! Much appreciated!

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 02:10 PM

Great advice, hikermor. Thanks! My bike is going to get a good tune-up this winter and she'll be good to go in the Spring!

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jolt
Sounds like a great trip! As far as gear goes, have you considered a quilt instead of a sleeping bag? The insulation under you gets compressed anyway, so the theory is that you might as well eliminate that to save weight. There are quite a few small manufacturers of backpacking quilts, and none of them are cheap, but check out Enlightened Equipment. They make both down and synthetic insulated quilts, and for the wet environment you will be in I would probably go synthetic (it's also much less expensive) even though it is heavier and bulkier. Actually, these quilts are made to order--you get to pick the temperature rating, length (nice for a short person like me), width and colors! Thinking about places to get gear less expensively once you know what you want, check out www.geartrade.com and of course Ebay. As far as shoes go, personal preference plays a big role--some people (and I am one of them) prefer to hike in trail running shoes rather than heavy boots…with waterproof boots your feet will probably still be wet from sweat, and lighter lower-cut shoes help you be more nimble. Wool socks are good since they lose less insulating value when they get wet.

Great ideas, Jolt. Thanks! I'll definitely look into quilts. I'm a mid-style boot wearer, so I'm on the hunt for a new, lighter pair. I need a new pair anyway so it's the perfect time to test some new ones!

Socks for the win! Always!! laugh
Posted by: Russ

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 03:38 PM

With that thought in mind, rather than a quilt, consider one of the Big Agnes sleeping bags.
Quote:
...Underside insulation has been eliminated and replaced with a sleeve for a Big Agnes 20 in. wide rectangular pad (sold separately)...

If the ground is as damp as I have experienced in the WA & OR Cascades, you will definitely want a pad. With the Big Agnes set-up, you won't wander off the pad.
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
With that thought in mind, rather than a quilt, consider one of the Big Agnes sleeping bags.
Quote:
...Underside insulation has been eliminated and replaced with a sleeve for a Big Agnes 20 in. wide rectangular pad (sold separately)...

If the ground is as damp as I have experienced in the WA & OR Cascades, you will definitely want a pad. With the Big Agnes set-up, you won't wander off the pad.

Many if not most of the quilts have a strap that can be used to attach them to the pad, preventing the sliding-off issue you describe.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Jolt

Great ideas, Jolt. Thanks! I'll definitely look into quilts. I'm a mid-style boot wearer, so I'm on the hunt for a new, lighter pair. I need a new pair anyway so it's the perfect time to test some new ones!

Socks for the win! Always!! laugh

Again, waterproof and breathable boots are key. The WCT is not a typical developed trail that some may think it is and there will plenty of wet and muddy sections along with some river crossings and you will thank yourself for having the proper boots that shed water but also dry quicker if you are wading through deeper water. I forgot to mention in my 1st post that having a set of gaiters will help a lot to keep mud and moisture off your lower legs. The MEC nylon gaiter would suffice for this trip but make sure you have extra under arch straps for them. These straps are easy to make ahead of time so don't wait until you are on the trail to stop and make a new one.

As for sleeping, a synthetic sleeping bag that is rated down to at least 32F is required as the night time temps on the west coast of the Island in May can drop down to the low single digits. Couple this with the fact that the Parks Canada strongly discourages forest camping and specifies that tents and sleeping be done on the beaches. These beaches get a lot of wind straight off the ocean so a good quality tent and a tent fly is required. The good news though is that early mornings and evenings are the low wind times but don't count on it though as the wind can blow nonstop for days on end.

Also bring a stove as the only wood you can burn is beach driftwood and it is usually wet that time of year and you don't want to spend time getting a fire started and maintaining it. Believe me, it gets very old after a couple of long days of hiking.

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/29/15 06:43 PM

Big Agnes gear seems very popular with big trail thru-hikers. I'm definitely looking into them. They're spendy but a good big ticket item that will last usually is.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/30/15 05:33 AM

" Couple this with the fact that the Parks Canada strongly discourages forest camping and specifies that tents and sleeping be done on the beaches."

I haven't camped on this trail, but have in the WA Olympics where most beaches are close to the surf and the water full of logs that can be tossed all the way up the beach. Are the beaches not hazardous for sneaker waves and caber tossing?

I can see why it would be more Leave No Trace to camp on a beach.

Here is some more reading.

http://backpackinglight.com/search/?q=west+coast+trail

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 12/30/15 05:44 PM

[quote=clearwater]" Are the beaches not hazardous for sneaker waves and caber tossing?

I can see why it would be more Leave No Trace to camp on a beach.

[/quote ] There is a similar requirement for beach camping in Channel Islands NP (Santa Rosa Island), although there is no caber tossing hazard. Pay close attention to the tide tables....
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/01/16 03:04 AM

The WCT has a reputation for being a tough, wet, sometimes miserable slog through incredibly rugged and beautiful country. IIRC it was built as a last-chance exit for sailors wrecked on that part of the cost, and the whole length is "shipwreck alley."

Have you already applied for permits? It's now internationally famous. Last time I checked, the masochists of the world were lined up hip deep to hike the trail, and Parks Canada had instituted a lottery system.

Consider this: Juan de Fuca Provincial Park runs on the northern west coast of Vancouver Is. It's magnificent, rugged, and considerably more accessible in places -- I have done dayhikes in some sections. It might give you a good place to test your planning, gear and mettle. I found out rather quickly that my Rocky Mountain backpacking experience didn't amount to jack when it came to operating in coastal rain forest.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/01/16 03:48 AM

Nope, never did the trail myself. But I did some kayaking and mountain hiking in the area; and I know a few people who have done the trail. One was a fellow about the same age as myself with his son - they did the trail in 7 days although I heard that allowing 10 days made more sense. It's nickname is the Wet Coast Trail due to the rains on the shoulder seasons - it should be dryer in July than May.

I may be in the area around April (Victoria actually) for visiting family.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/01/16 10:33 AM

I know a few tricks regarding saving space and weight on toiletries. First, I need to know what you want or plan to bring.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/01/16 08:00 PM

Bacpacjac,

I haven't hiked that route, but I spent my formative years (in the outdoor sense) in Oregon and Washington. For the last three decades I've lived in Alaska, and have spent a lot of time hiking, camping, and sea kayaking in coastal areas. I'll give you my thoughts on coastal camping. First off, assume you and all your gear will get thoroughly wet. Maybe you will get lucky and have good weather, but assume the worst, plan for it, and things can only get better!

I find when I'm hiking in the rain I'm better off just getting wet and not worrying about it. I find wet pants, or especially rain pants over wet pants to be be very constricting and tiring. When carrying a big pack I'm usually putting out a lot of heat and don't have a problem staying warm while hiking. Hence, unless it is very cold, I will often hike in just shorts and a light synthetic top. If it is windy I might add a goretex top, with front zip and pit zips open. I keep my other clothes dry until I stop in shelter. Do have good raingear however, for when you are hanging around camp, or when the weather gets really severe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I do like to wear a good rain hat while hiking in these conditions. I like the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero. It keeps the rain off my glasses and somewhat keeps it from running down my neck! The only time the Seattle Sombrero doesn't work well is when it is really windy (the brim flops around too much). So I also usually carry a simple baseball hat, which doesn't keeps the rain off so well but works better in the wind.

Don't assume your pack will keep stuff dry. Put all important stuff (sleeping gear, extra clothes, etc) in waterproof bags inside your pack. There are some new waterproof stuff sacks (silnylon and other miracle material) that are very light weight and very effective. A cheaper but still effective method is to use plastic garbage bags.

Besides a good tent, consider carrying a small lightweight tarp (silnylon or similar). You can use this to rig a quick small shelter to eat lunch under while hiking, and for cooking outside your tent. You can also rig the tarp to make sort of a porch at the entrance to your tent. This gives you a place to get out of the rain and take off your wet gear before getting into the tent, which helps to keep the inside of the tent much dryer.

Extended wet periods in coastal areas are often due to a whole series of weather fronts passing through, one after another. In this kind of a pattern your gear will get damper and damper, not matter how careful you are. The good news is that often there are short breaks with even a bit of sunshine between fronts. These breaks may last from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Take advantage of them to dry your gear. Keep a length of cord handy to rig an improvised clothes line. When the sun comes out, stop, take a break, and hang up wet gear. Even a few minutes of sunshine helps to dry stuff.

I've heard that coastal route is a really beautiful trip. Have fun, and don't let a little dampness get you down!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/01/16 08:15 PM

That is a hell of an informative bunch of info!!

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/02/16 02:38 PM

I second AKSAR's practice of wearing shorts when hiking in the rain. Skin dries much faster than any fabric. It is a really good idea to have some dry items reserved for camp. Just let wet gear stay wet for the duration.

This thread has new found relevance for me. I will be spending a week on Santa Rosa Island, and there is significant rain in the forecast. Looks like the "Wet Coast" will include SoCal finally (Thank heaven!)
Posted by: Russ

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/02/16 02:52 PM

Here's hoping Hikermor gets very wet on Santa Rosa Island wink Snow pack in the Sierra Mountains is above "normal" but not what is needed to break the drought. Hopefully the rain (and snow) keep coming.

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/02/16 02:58 PM

I just checked the forecast. Rainfall probability the morning of our departure is 100%. When I am slogging around SRI, cold, wet, and miserable, I will rejoice in knowing that I am taking one for the team.

Let's build that snow pack!
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/02/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I second AKSAR's practice of wearing shorts when hiking in the rain. Skin dries much faster than any fabric. It is a really good idea to have some dry items reserved for camp. Just let wet gear stay wet for the duration.

This thread has new found relevance for me. I will be spending a week on Santa Rosa Island, and there is significant rain in the forecast. Looks like the "Wet Coast" will include SoCal finally (Thank heaven!)
As an alternative to hiking in shorts, some people like to wear tights. As hikermor says, just let the wet gear stay wet. Rig that small tarp above your tent entrance, and there out of the rain you can change into dry clothes (which have been kept safe in a dry bag) before entering your tent.

One aspect of NW coastal forests I forgot to mention is that even in heavy rains, one can often find dry spots under the big conifers. These are good places to stop out of the rain to take a break, brew up some tea, have lunch, etc. This may not be an option for hikermor in SoCal however, with the meager shrubs they call "trees" down there. wink

Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail - 01/02/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
This may not be an option for hikermor in SoCal however, with the meager shrubs they call "trees" down there. wink

"Meager?!!" You should know that SRI is home to the only stand of Torrey pines (Pinus torreyana) outside San Diego. Some of them tower to heights of at least 25-30 feet (8-10 meters)...

We do have our share of knee high bushes (wanna be trees) which is why I am digging out tall gaiters that I haven't used in years...