France

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

France - 11/14/15 11:31 PM

Je suis partie français et je suis en accord avec la France.

I'm part French and I stand with France.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: wildman800

Re: France - 11/14/15 11:56 PM

D'accord Madam Jeanette! Vive la France!

Re: France - 11/15/15 12:58 AM

C'est Mademoiselle Jeanette. Je ne suis pas marié.

It's Miss Jeanette. I'm not married.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: France - 11/15/15 01:12 AM

Veuillez excuser mon erreur, Mademoiselle!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: France - 11/15/15 03:16 AM

My thoughts and prayers with the victims, their families, and all the people of Paris and France.

I have urged those of my family who live in large cities to pay close attention to what's going on around them.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: France - 11/15/15 06:52 AM

What do you tell them to watch out for? Guys with AKs in a suicide vest? What else?
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: France - 11/15/15 07:12 AM

I think just be aware of your surroundings, ie situational awareness. What a horrible event! Setting aside the politics it's just a terrible tragic waste. There will be many dark days ahead for Paris and probably the rest of the world, too.

Re: France - 11/15/15 12:37 PM

Nostradamus foretold the internal conflicts coming to France. He also stated that France will survive these times.

Re: France - 11/15/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Nostradamus foretold the internal conflicts coming to France. He also stated that France will survive these times.

I have not studied Nostradamus but I have studied Biblical prophecy. I find it interesting that in a prophecy full of symbols, that the symbol of France is not mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: France - 11/15/15 02:20 PM

As Phaedrus says, situational awareness. I would add to that, if things don't feel right they probably aren't.

I suspect most of us have family that run the spectrum between oblivious and well-prepared. Unfortunately even after living through Sandy and Katrina it's hard to get some of my relatives to think outside of their comfort zones.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: France - 11/15/15 11:58 PM

You know, there's a certain irony in this. While it is upsetting to see this going on in a place like Paris, imagine living in Baghdad, or Kabul, or Damascus, or Beirut? These places have been under siege from terrorists for well over a decade. These things happen regularly there, and the civilians face this sort of threat daily. But unless an attack is exceptionally horrific, when do we hear about these?

There is a thin veil of comfort masquerading as security covering us. It gets pierced once in a while, and we get butt hurt and indignant that these barbarians and fanatics have the gall to threaten us and disrupt our lives. We are shocked when they perpetrate "acts of evil" on our sensibilities. For much of the world, they can only hope for peace of mind once in a while.

I'm no one special, I just learnt one day what it feels like to run like hell for your life without a means to defend yourself, and see people around you die. I know I'm not the only one here. I would prefer not to go through that again, ever. But I know I probably will.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: France - 11/16/15 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
You know, there's a certain irony in this. While it is upsetting to see this going on in a place like Paris, imagine living in Baghdad, or Kabul, or Damascus, or Beirut? These places have been under siege from terrorists for well over a decade. These things happen regularly there, and the civilians face this sort of threat daily. But unless an attack is exceptionally horrific, when do we hear about these?

Ironic indeed. I recall a time, seems like ages ago now, when I made a similar (diplomatic and well meaning) comment referring to 9/11. I ended up on the receiving end of a spectacular flame war and people hurling the kind of insults you'd never expect from "civilized" folks.

So let's tread very carefully and leave politics aside for now. It's bad enough as it is. I feel sorry for Paris, it used to be such a beautiful place.
Posted by: haertig

Re: France - 11/16/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin

The difference is, terrorism, bombings, jihads, etc. are a cultural/religious thing that appears more or less acceptable to folks that live in those places you mentioned. So there is nothing shocking about it to them - it's the way they choose to live.

Other parts of the world, like Paris, do not choose to live like that, so these things very shocking in these other places, and make headlines.
Posted by: cliff

Re: France - 11/16/15 09:38 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This thread is fast dissolving into political / cultural opinion. Bring it back or this thread goes bye-bye.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)
Posted by: Blast

Re: France - 11/17/15 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: cliff
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This thread is fast dissolving into political / cultural opinion. Bring it back or this thread goes bye-bye.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

And seconded by Blast.

Let's keep this on ways to survive/escape such attacks rather than bemoan the state of the world.
Thank you kindly,
-Blast
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: France - 11/17/15 01:30 PM

I posted this on the EDC site, but will mention it here... a bandana rather than a handkerchief large enough to use as a bandage... a small zip loc bag to use as an occlusive dressing to help seal a chest penetration... a good pocket size LED flashlight... a cell phone with good standby time and GPS... an AM/FM radio or app for phone that gives good situational awareness for events outside your immediate area would be valuable for emergency situations like this event...if you don't speak the language, a couple of flash cards with the native language on one side, and Romanized to English on the other... "take me to the hospital... police station... American Consulate".. and a picture of Ben Franklin for their service

Re: France - 11/17/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Let's keep this on ways to survive/escape such attacks...

Obviously, the best way to survive something like this is to avoid it in the first place. Easier said than done, certainly. But honestly, avoidance is part of my plan. When things start heating up in the world, I simply do not attend large crowded events. (Most of those I really didn't want to go to anyway, but the wife drags me there sometimes!)

I also make note of my surroundings as I enter an establishment. Where are the doors? Where are potential cover and concealment places? In restaurants, I sit at a table that is not the first one you run into when you enter the restaurant. If possible, a table near an escape route - into the kitchen possibly. And I always sit on the side of the table that offers the best overall view of what's happening in the restaurant.

I profile people. I am constantly on the lookout for people who potentially might want to do me harm. Yes, that means as I eye you over, I am evaluating all kinds of things about you. Which includes your demeanor, your apparent intelligence/shrewdness level, the things you are discussing, your manner of dress, your skin color, your friends, the kind of car you drove up in, your apparent religion. Yeah, all that "politically incorrect" stuff. But when my personal safety and that of my family is on the line, I don't care about political correctness. I treat everyone the same and without bias, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will use every potential clue about you for my internal mental evaluation. Anyone who claims that they are so politically correct as to never do this is either an idiot, or a liar.

I always carry my cellphone. And I am always armed. If an establishment bans concealed carry, then I don't go into that establishment. Criminals and terrorists do not obey "no firearms allowed" signs. Some may even seek those places out. So best to avoid them IMHO. That's part of the plan.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: France - 11/17/15 04:54 PM

This thread started out political from the first post.
Posted by: bws48

Re: France - 11/17/15 05:49 PM

I have some thoughts on the tactics used and their implications for being prepared.

The multiple attacks seemed designed to attract the French police to one location, thus giving the other attackers time/space to operate in. Note that stadium security worked (at the cost of the lives of several of the members of the security force).

So, don’t think that a single event/attack is the only one, or even the main one---it may only be a diversion. Be prepared for a follow-up attack on the first responders (and other running to help) and/or other targets.

By all reports, the other targets were more or less ordinary “every day” establishments, not famous or tourist places. They apparently were simply popular local establishments for the local citizens.

This suggests to me that there was deliberate attempt to send the message to people that they are not safe in their home/neighborhood, and that the police can’t protect them. Thus, while trying to avoid large public events like the stadium is a very reasonable protective measure, it is incomplete: you can be or are still are a target at the local shopping mall, little league game etc. The message/fear they want to instill is that nowhere is safe. Largely, they are right. They can attack anywhere at any time. That is hard to defend against. So be as prepared at the mall as the big game.

Finally, they want to provoke overreactions against the local Muslim communities. They believe that this will polarize people and drive more recruits into their ranks. Try not to help them recruit new members.

Just a few of my thoughts. Plan, prepare, but don't let fear take over your life. I have friends in D.C. that are really getting upset about the announcements that D.C. is next. My reaction to them is that nothing has changed---D.C. has always been a target. Used to be nukes were the big worry, now it is guys with vest bombs and AKs.

Re: France - 11/17/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
This thread started out political from the first post.

The statement "Je suis partie français et je suis en accord avec la France." is political? confused

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: France - 11/17/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The statement "Je suis partie français et je suis en accord avec la France." is political? confused

Well, trying to piece together the words that I don't understand, for all I know, it says "Jesus and Francis are hosting a party in their Honda Accord in France". I don't speak French. But my guess is that it's a statement indicating support for France, given the context of recent events. Very appropriate, not political.

Re: France - 11/17/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Well, trying to piece together the words that I don't understand, for all I know, it says "Jesus and Francis are hosting a party in their Honda Accord in France". I don't speak French. But my guess is that it's a statement indicating support for France, given the context of recent events. Very appropriate, not political.

It says, "I'm part French and I stand with France."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: France - 11/17/15 09:16 PM

Expressions of support for the victims is not political speech within the meaning of the rules here.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: clearwater

Re: France - 11/17/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Expressions of support for the victims is not political speech within the meaning of the rules here.

chaosmagnet

However this is no topic to discuss then.

Re: France - 11/17/15 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
However this is no topic to discuss then.

That is the opposite of what I meant.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: Bingley

Re: France - 11/18/15 12:45 AM

Jesus and Francis are having a party in their Honda Accord? How come Francis got invited and I didn't? Pourquoi? Pourquoi?!!

I might go to Paris soon for tourism. Other than the things that have already been said in this forum, what else can I do to improve my safety? I plan to go to some public places, good restaurants, and somehow get by on my very limited French.

To be frank, I don't feel particularly worried -- usually after a terrorist incident, the police intensifies surveillance, and that means it's probably safer. It'll probably be okay.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping peace here and for keeping us on track! Much appreciated!

Re: France - 11/18/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Jesus and Francis are having a party in their Honda Accord? How come Francis got invited and I didn't? Pourquoi? Pourquoi?!!

Il y avait un cent vingt tous dans un Accord.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: France - 11/18/15 02:00 AM

You French speakers are too good. The only thing I remember from my high school German is: Wo ist die toilette?

But that's a very handy thing to know how to say! My daughter speaks French quite well. Classes for three years in highschool (also three years of Latin), then four years in college. She wants to go to France to be able to speak with those who speak it as their native tongue. I would encourage her to go - France looks like a beautiful place, and we can't let a few terrorists ruin things for people.

Re: France - 11/18/15 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
You French speakers are too good. The only thing I remember from my high school German is: Wo ist die toilette?

But that's a very handy thing to know how to say! My daughter speaks French quite well. Classes for three years in highschool (also three years of Latin), then four years in college. She wants to go to France to be able to speak with those who speak it as their native tongue.

Dad is French so French was spoken in the house until he died.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Pete

Re: France - 11/18/15 02:17 AM

I think it is completely appropriate to express sympathy and support for the victims of the Paris attacks. That is a very human expression, it is not political.

Prayers for all of the families and friends who are affected.

I think that these attacks arrive with so much surprise, it is very difficult to use any type of intuition. The terrorists use "surprise attack" for that reason. a well-planned attack that gains the element of surprise will always be horribly effective.

I did notice that from the personal accounts inside the theatre ... many concert-goers were "frozen in shock". it is that weird psychological shock that happens when people see things that are completely outside their experience. The survivors literally had to climb over 'frozen people' to escape the scene. Those that did MOVE had a better chance of survival. But there is no easy answer for this ... that tendency to freeze is deeply ingrained into our subconcscious and it takes a lot of willpower to "un-freeze your body" and get moving.

Pete
Posted by: Chisel

Re: France - 11/18/15 06:38 AM

Quote:
Prayers for all of the families and friends who are affected.

Amen to that

We shouldn't be paralyzed by these crazy events
We shouldn't stop our lives just because this or that happens

Actually, even without these criminal attacks we can be hit by any one of countless hazards (electric shock, car accident ..etc. ) and thus we should go on with our lives regardless.

IMHO, this is the best answer to mindless people trying to crush humanity. And also this is the best justification to be better, smarter preppers.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: France - 11/18/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete

I did notice that from the personal accounts inside the theatre ... many concert-goers were "frozen in shock". it is that weird psychological shock that happens when people see things that are completely outside their experience. The survivors literally had to climb over 'frozen people' to escape the scene. Those that did MOVE had a better chance of survival. But there is no easy answer for this ... that tendency to freeze is deeply ingrained into our subconcscious and it takes a lot of willpower to "un-freeze your body" and get moving.

Pete

It's been discussed in this forum before, but it's worth mentioning again because of it's relevance to the surviver accounts. Amanda Ripley's "Unthinkable", ISBN 978-0-307-35290-3, covers the fight/flight/freeze/flop reaction in depth.
Posted by: Blast

Re: France - 11/19/15 12:39 AM

If you are unfamiliar with the work of Amanda Ripley on how people react in a disaster and how to use this to survive now would be a good time to check her out.
http://www.npr.org/2008/07/22/92616679/identifying-who-survives-disasters-and-why

-Blast
Posted by: Pete

Re: France - 11/19/15 04:21 AM

BIG THANKS on the Amanda Ripley work. No, I wasn't aware of it. But I will definitely check it out.

By the way - I just looked at the video replays of the attack by one of the terrorists on the Pizza Parlor in Paris. Actually, it looked as if all of the patrons (and store owners) behaved in a very sensible way. Everyone got down on the floor immediately when glass started shattering. The attacker fired a large number of bullets from an AK-47 into the storefront, but very few bullets hit people. He sprayed the place down. It did shatter a lot of glass. The people inside took cover on the floor and behind counters VERY quickly. A counter won't necessarily stop bullets, but it does keep you hidden. Several people used the opportunity when firing stopped (the attacker was reloading his weapon), to run upstairs, or downstairs to the basement. I thought that the reactions of the people inside the store were very sensible ... actually quite brave. A few people did help others to also reach safer locations inside the store.

Apparently the attacker did approach two women who are cowering on the ground. He was going to execute them, but his gun jammed. The two women ran away. Again - and excellent decision. It is worthwhile to remember that gunmen must reload their weapons (or change to a different weapon). That brief pause in time gives you the opportunity to run away, or to hit the attacker with something (for example ... a chair).

Pete

Pete
Posted by: JeffMc

Re: France - 11/20/15 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
If you are unfamiliar with the work of Amanda Ripley on how people react in a disaster and how to use this to survive now would be a good time to check her out.
http://www.npr.org/2008/07/22/92616679/identifying-who-survives-disasters-and-why

Thanks for a great tip! I just downloaded the audiobook from the Naval online library, and after I listen to it I'll probably have my wife order hard copies for the medical library. I've been helping her build up her disaster/emergency/survival medicine & psychology collection, and this looks like a very useful addition.
Posted by: Russ

Re: France - 11/20/15 08:00 PM

Thanks for reminding. I downloaded Amanda Ripley's book "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes — And Why" to my Kindle and it is a keeper. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: France - 11/21/15 06:27 PM

Huh? For hundreds of thousands of victims in those areas, choice had nothing to do with it, including an awful lot of christians. They have about as much choice as the people killed in Paris had. I don't see that as any sort of political statement. It is a matter of fact and a reality we may all must face.

The difference now is there are a few more french that are also victims of Islamic terrorism. Not to belittle this pain, to point out it is part of a growing sorrow.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: France - 11/21/15 08:52 PM

ISIS has just made an Strategic Mistake of epic proportions. If there is one place in the world that is considered to be the cultural centre of the world, it is Paris. Every civilized country in the world has an embassy or consulate there. Paris is probably the closest place on Earth to neutral ground. By attacking Paris they have demonstrated to everyone that they are Hostis Humanis Generis.

Latin: Hostis Humanis Generis.
Translation: Hostile to Humanity in General.
Transliteration: Enemy of all Mankind.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: France - 11/23/15 05:07 PM

Pizza parlor attack
http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2...61814269894.mp4